Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Bill Currie Memorial Tournament

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
octo

Bill Currie Memorial Tournament

Post by octo »

Our team is planning to host our first tournament this year. We have established that it will be using an HSAPQ set, and we currently plan to hold it November 13th or 20th, though that is subject to change. Obviously we have no experience with running a tournament, nor does our coach, so we welcome any advice. Some things we would greatly appreciate are recommendations for cost, information on any other tournaments scheduled on those days, and whether any teams are interested in playing, or if any individuals are interested in helping us run it.
Last edited by octo on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Re: Inaugural tournament at JCHS

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

This is awesome. I'd be glad to come out and staff and to help out with logistical things like scheduling.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Sam and I have discussed this a bit already, so pardon me if I don't give a complete response.

I'd certainly be up for staffing, but November 13 is definitely a no-go for me, because it's a home football game at Mizzou. November 20 might work, but we usually take one away trip to support the team and that weekend seems like it might be a plausible option for us.

Sam, of course feel free to contact me if you need anything. I can certainly help you with getting everything set up beforehand. I don't know a lot about choosing a good set, but if you go with HSAPQ the process should be easy. HSAPQ members will help you pick something appropriate.

This could be awesome!

octo

Post by octo »

The date isn't set in stone, of course. If we find another open weekend that works better for staffers then we can certainly change it.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

I can come help staff with the Mizzou crowd, since I plan to at least help out with stuff

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

This. is. amazing. And it's in my (new) backyard! I'll definitely staff if I'm not coaching a team there.

Missouri State will also likely be hosting a tournament in mid-November, so we can take whatever date out of the 13th and 20th that you don't.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Just as a reminder, the second Spirit of St. Louis at Parkway Central might be the 20th; we need to figure that out.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Actually, due to the date logjam with yet another tournament I might be organizing, it's probably best to move Missouri State's potential tournament to another part of the calendar.

octo

Post by octo »

PenforPrez wrote:Just as a reminder, the second Spirit of St. Louis at Parkway Central might be the 20th; we need to figure that out.
Yeah, I was wondering when that would be so I could plan around that.

Acceleration

Post by Acceleration »

Hopefully we can make it out there.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

octo wrote:
PenforPrez wrote:Just as a reminder, the second Spirit of St. Louis at Parkway Central might be the 20th; we need to figure that out.
Yeah, I was wondering when that would be so I could plan around that.
Oh good, because I have to say, if it was a toss-up between staffing at JCHS and staffing at PCHS... i'd staff at the high school I went to even if JCHS is closer to Mizzou.

octo

Post by octo »

Pending administrative approval, this tournament is scheduled for November 13th.

octo

Post by octo »

Dear Coaches,

It is my pleasure to announce what is hopefully the first of many quiz bowl tournaments at Jefferson City High School. The Bill Currie Memorial Tournament, named in honor of a recently deceased faculty member, will be held on November 13th, 2010. This tournament will be a mirror of BATE; more information on that tournament can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=10426. Each packet will consist of 20 tossups, each with a 3-part non-rebounding bonus, with each part being worth 10 points. For practice purposes, old question sets may be found at http://hsapq.com/sample.html. This tournament will feature negs--deduction of 5 points for answering incorrectly before the moderator has finished reading the question. Additionally, there will be no computational math questions.

The field for this tournament will be capped at 16 teams. Schools may register more than one team. In the event that more than 16 teams express interest, the additional teams will be put on a waitlist and added to the field if any teams are unable to come.

Entry Fees:
First team from a school: $45
Additional teams from the same school: $40
Buzzer system discount: -$5 per system per team, up to $15. In order to receive the buzzer system discount, the system must be fully functional for 8 players.
Staffer discount: -$5 per team that brings a scorekeeper the morning of the tournament. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing.

To register, please email jchsscholarbowl@gmail.com with the name of your school, how many teams you wish to enter, and the best way to contact you with any questions. We ask that for payment, you pay us either in cash or check. Please make checks out to Jefferson City High School.

We hope to see you in November.

Sam Haynes
Tournament Director
JCHS Quizbowl Captain

Missie Valdiviez
Assistant Tournament Director
JCHS Quizbowl Coach
Last edited by octo on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Are you looking for a lot more staffers for this one, or do you mostly have it under control? Assuming I can get a ride, I'd be willing to help out.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

dividebyzero wrote:Are you looking for a lot more staffers for this one, or do you mostly have it under control? Assuming I can get a ride, I'd be willing to help out.
Unfortunately, this is probably going to be the date of WashU's college tournament, the Gateway Invitational Tournament, or I would probably volunteer too.

octo

Post by octo »

Staffers are always welcome.

octo

Post by octo »

The announcement has been updated after running it by my coach.

octo

Post by octo »

Sorry for the triple post, but this tournament has been certified by MOQBA. Also, the announcement has just been emailed to coaches.

Don't feel like quadruple posting, so I will edit this to include the
FIELD (closed at 12 teams):
confirmed - Glasgow (1 buzzer)
confirmed - Helias (2) (1 buzzer, ? scorekeepers)
confirmed - Monroe City (1 buzzer)
confirmed - North Shelby (1 buzzer)
confirmed - Rock Bridge (2) (1 buzzer)
confirmed - Southern Boone (2) (1+ buzzers, ? scorekeepers)
confirmed - Tuscumbia (2) (2 buzzers)
confirmed - Warrenton (? scorekeepers)
Last edited by octo on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:06 am, edited 21 times in total.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

We're not sure if we can come yet, but Tuscumbia would like to express interest for 1-2 teams.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Pending financial approval, Centralia will be there with one team.

octo

Post by octo »

This tournament will no longer be run on HSAPQ questions, but is now a mirror of BATE, which can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=10426. As you can see, this means we will no longer be using powers. We are also lowering the entry fee--$45 for the first team from a school and $40 each for subsequent teams. These changes have been edited into my original announcement.

CentraliaCoach

Re: Bill Currie Memorial Tournament

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Regrettably, Centralia will be unable to attend.

octo

Post by octo »

There are only 3 spots remaining in the field.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

Can you put us down as interested? I'm gonna ask my coach about signing us up right now.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

logic2718 wrote:Can you put us down as interested? I'm gonna ask my coach about signing us up right now.
Are you not coming to GIT?

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

Actually, Sam just alerted me to that conflict (I had forgotten). the geckos are listed as interested on the GIT page. are we fully signed up? i've forgotten if Sabrina said she could actually come.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

logic2718 wrote:Actually, Sam just alerted me to that conflict (I had forgotten). the geckos are listed as interested on the GIT page. are we fully signed up? i've forgotten if Sabrina said she could actually come.
Sabrina noted your interest on the national forums. Also, I would think that it goes without saying, but to avoid keeping your teammates from losing the chance to play a tournament just because you're going to be at GIT, you could always ask if any of them would also be interested in playing on a Geckos Jr. team with additional people from other schools. Missouri Fall has certainly proven that they're plenty talented, and I think they would probably do well.

Machina

Post by Machina »

Villa cannot attend this, due to distance and an out-of-town coach. :(

octo

Post by octo »

If anyone is available to staff [competently] for this, please notify me.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to make it, other than work. I'll book it off, and make sure that I get it.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I've probably mentioned a few times that I'd be able to staff this - in case you don't have me down, I am still planning to staff.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:I've probably mentioned a few times that I'd be able to staff this - in case you don't have me down, I am still planning to staff.
You're driving. :P

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

90% sure I can staff as well.

octo

Post by octo »

redacted

octo

Post by octo »

Barstow has dropped; I'm closing the field at 12 teams.

octo

Post by octo »

Last edited by octo on Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

octo

Post by octo »

Rock Bridge B won this tournament, winning the first game of an advantaged final over Helias A. Rock Bridge A finished third. Playoff stats are forthcoming.

octo

Post by octo »

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I just want to give big ups to Sam, who was so motivated that he created this tournament from his own drive as a high schooler. It never got out of control and I feel like he did a very good job as the first high schooler in Missouri to ever head direct a tournament. I'm really glad to see local students becoming more involved in organizing quizbowl like they are in other parts of the country. Good job Sam, and everyone else at Jeff City who facilitated this.

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

Charlie, I wholeheartedly concur. Sam did a great job, the tourney was fun and exciting for the students. All of the mods read very well along with helping the students to be comfortable playing the game.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Yay Sam!!!! Glad everyone had fun, and sorry I couldn't be there. I had to stand out in the cold...cheering on the Tigers of course. :)

octo

Post by octo »

Prelim stats are back up.

EDIT: Combined stats

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

I GOT TO MOD THE ADV. FINAL! :D

That having been said, this was a very well-run tournament, especially considering it was mostly set up by Sam.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Glad to hear this went well; sorry again that I couldn't make it (I always seem to catch the flu at the worst possible time).