Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Mid-season poll: Congratulations North Kansas City

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hello everyone
I'm back at it again with running the moquizbowl.com poll. This will be a poll of the top 10 teams in the state. I will save class polls for the end of the season, simply because the last time I tried to run one I got so few submissions that it was unworkable. Anyway, without further ado, what I need you to do is submit your personal ranking of the top 10 teams in the state, in a straightforward numbered list. If you submit a ballot that is unreadable, comedic (in that its pretty obvious you aren't listing your actual top 10), somehow crazy, or has other major flaws I will reserve the right to return your ballot to you and have you redo it, although most likely this will not be the case. Please, do not include any "tied" teams or anything like that. I will post a link of various statewide results tomorrow for you to browse. I would like these ballots in by Sunday, February 1st at 11:59 PM. Please send them to charlie16@gmail.com. Happy balloting!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Here's a small batch of results from decent events for you to start perusing:
2008 Missouri Fall Academic Tournament
2008 Missouri S&T Fall Tournament
2009 Tiger Bowl @ Missouri
And NKC's NAQT Tournament, which we don't really know much about beyond that first place was Truman, Second was Lee's Summit North, and the semi-finalists were Savannah and Liberty.
Upcoming tournaments: 2009 WUHSAC

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... enaziCD</a>, Jan 26 2009, 03:17:52 AM.</div>

wldcat_blldog
Location: Eureka, MO...or Kirksville, MO....or any points in between while driving

Post by wldcat_blldog »

My top 10 teams in Class 4:

1. North Kansas City
2. Francis Howell Central
3. Liberty
4. Fort Zumwalt West
5. Parkway Central
6. Eureka
7. Savannah
8. SLU High
9. DeSmet
10. Westminster Christian

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Hmm...interesting listing. You don't think LSN & Truman deserve mention instead of DeSmet, SLUH, or Westminister?

After all, they've beaten teams at the top of your list, such as NKC, Liberty, and Savannah.

By the way, Charles, I emailed you the listing.

Oh, and not that it's too much of an issue, but do we want to be putting up ballots before they're all compiled? We don't want to skew the results...

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Jan 24 2009, 06:03:58 PM.</div>

DIoanis

Post by DIoanis »

Charbroil wrote:Hmm...interesting listing. You don't think LSN & Truman deserve mention instead of DeSmet, SLUH, or Westminister?

After all, they've beaten teams at the top of your list, such as NKC, Liberty, and Savannah.
Forgive me if this is at all random but i'm going by memory on how both Truman and LSN did so far this year. Truman beat both Savannah and LSN at NKC naqt. LSN has beat Liberty at least twice if not more at Smithville, NKC, or the Truman sKnowbowl while Liberty beat LSN only once (at Smithville). At the sKnowbowl we placed first beating Rock Bridge who beat NKC in the 4th round. At the sKnowbowl NKC did lose twice, just putting that out there that they lost two times using questions that were in the same format as what will be used at districts and state. (I think Grant did not play at the sKnowbowl though) At LSN in December Truman placed 3rd after losing to Liberty then beating Columbia Hickman (we have played Hickman 3 times this year, twice at LSN and once at Truman) and beat them everytime and I believe they qualified for nationals). Before playing at Smithville Truman had a record of 18-1. We went 2-2 on questions that.... well to be honest we were not prepared for. Neither was LSN. Both teams that went 1 & 2 last week at NKC were out after the first afternoon round. So Truman's record for the year is 20-3. Liberty has lost, I think, at least 4 or 5 times ( to NKC at LSN, to LSN once at Truman, NKC and Smithville though they may have played each other twice at NKC I'm not sure). NKC lost just the twice at Truman but they lost to teams we beat at the same tournament (Rock Bridge and Hickman I think).

Sorry again if anyone finds this a bit random and long just trying to get information out in the open. I know I ramble on a lot.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... DIoanis</a>, Jan 24 2009, 07:10:48 PM.</div>

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I will note that one of NKC's big strengths when it comes to the MSHSAA format is Grant's math, so I'd hazard a guess that playing without Grant on the team at Sknowbowl would be a huge blow because that's a good 200 or more points NKC is at a big disadvantage at (what with the connected bonuses and all).

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

I believe the only time Liberty has played Truman this season, we beat them pretty bad. All this "we beat X and X beat Y so we can beat Y" stuff is pretty silly if you ask me. And again, any results from bad quizbowl really don't mean anything.

DIoanis

Post by DIoanis »

I though someone would say somthing about Grant not being there that's the reason why I said he wasn't there in the post. Just trying to cover everything. :)

And Spencer I remember when we played you that we were missing part of our team. Andy wasn't playing that day. And besides Liberty has lost more games then Truman has. It's not a matter of team x, y, and z. At this point in the season we just have a better record. A team can have all the talent but if they lose it doesn't matter. It's the record. We beat LSN soundly while Liberty has lost to them many times and on different question formats.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... DIoanis</a>, Jan 24 2009, 08:25:30 PM.</div>

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Charles are you looking for a ranking of how good teams are, or how well we think they will do at state?

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

FishyFreshman wrote:All this "we beat X and X beat Y so we can beat Y" stuff is pretty silly if you ask me.
Isn't that the attitude which, taken to the extreme, produces Coach Stein's argument here?

(Just to note, Stein's argument, in a nutshell, was that it's impossible to tell which of two teams is better if they haven't played one another. He also greatly disagreed with the idea of advancing the top two teams from each district to play in a four team sectional.)

I mean, that's an extreme--certainly, Spencer, I'm not comparing you to Coach Stein--but you can't be seriously saying that indirect wins/losses don't matter.

In any case, don't forget that Truman placed higher than you guys at NKC NAQT--a tournament using a good (or at least much better) Quiz Bowl format.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Jan 24 2009, 09:42:12 PM.</div>

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

They have some sort of significance, but not to the degree that you guys have been using them.

You may have finished above us, but you still didn't have to play us. I'd be interested in checking the stats from the morning rounds and seeing how our ppg/ppb etc. compared.

MJones

Post by MJones »

Is anyone going to post a class 3 poll?

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

People are supposed to be emailing these polls to Charles Dees, who'll post the final results later.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah, I would like to point out that there will not be a class 3 poll or anything like that, and that instead I will save that for later in the season. Also, while I can't control anything, it seems kind of like a bad idea to post your ballots here because that could unnecessarily skew the results I may have otherwise gotten (you know, Solomon Asch and all that). The ranking I ask is that you simply rank the top 10 teams in numerical order of how good you think they are at quizbowl. They can be from any class. And to reiterate it because I've been getting posts on here, on facebook, with the description "these are in no particular order," etc. I will once again reemphasize that I would like you to email these numerically numbered ballots to charlie16@gmail.com and nowhere else.

carpenoctem63141

Post by carpenoctem63141 »

What about Winnetonka? Did they graduate their best players or something? :P

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

When will you be posting the results?

That was a lot tougher than I thought. I certainly came up with more than 10 teams fairly quickly that could be a part of this list.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I will be posting it basically as soon after February 1st that I can tabulate results, so within a couple days. Also, just so everyone knows, I will be posting each individual ballot as well.

wldcat_blldog
Location: Eureka, MO...or Kirksville, MO....or any points in between while driving

Post by wldcat_blldog »

I forgot to read that you wanted me to email them, but mine is posted, and just to clarify my top-10...I did a quick cursory review based on the stats that were hyperlinked, but a lot of my top-10 list has come from what I have seen thus far this year.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Well, given that you posted it as a top 10 of class 4, is that the overall ballot you are submitting as well, or is that just a class 4 ballot and is different than your overall?

wldcat_blldog

Post by wldcat_blldog »

That is my class 4 ballot and its my official one. I have yet to see teams in the lower classes play so I think it would be of no benefit to them if someone who hasn't seen them play decided where to rank them.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

What about Priory? They are still class 3, right? You don't have to rank them in the top 10, but he is looking for a top 10 overall, not just best class 4 teams.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hey guys, last day to submit a ballot and I'd like a few more.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Got the results in yet? I think this will be quite interesting to compare to Byko's.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah I have enough ballots to tally, I just don't have the time yet since I'm finishing writing a bunch of questions.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

As I said I have all ballots in, so to build up some suspense first I will post each individual ballot and my criteria for ranking teams. The ballots!

Jeremy Gibbs
1. FHC
2. Liberty
3. NKC
4. FZW
5. Priory
6. PCH
7. Eureka
8. Savannah
9. Kirksville
10. SLUH

Spencer Fish
1. NKC
2. Columbia Hickman
3. Liberty
4. Savannah
5. Rockbridge
6. Parkway Central
7. Eureka
8. Hallsville
9. LSN
10. Truman

Charles Hang
1/ NKC
2/ Liberty
3/ Francis Howell Central
4/ Savannah
5/ Fort Zumwalt West
6/ Eureka
7/ Richland
8/ Kirksville
9/ Hallsville
10/ Parkway Central

Alex Dzurick
1. Liberty
2. North Kansas City
3. Parkway Central
4. Hickman
5. Richland
6. Hallsville
7. SLUH
8. Helias
9. FZW
10. Eureka

Will Hack
1. Francis Howell Central
2. Liberty
3. North Kansas City
4. Savannah
5. Truman
6. Parkway Central
7. Lee's Summit North
8. Fort Zumwalt West
9. Eureka
10. Richland

Abdullah Shoaib
2. Liberty
3. Parkway Central
4. Eureka
5. Ft. Zumwault West
6. NKC
7. Hickman
8. Savannah
9. Lexington
10. Cape Central

John Scognamiglio
1. North Kansas City
2. Francis Howell Central
3. Liberty
4. Fort Zumwalt West
5. Parkway Central
6. Eureka
7. Savannah
8. SLU High
9. DeSmet
10. Westminster Christian

Dakota Ioanis
1) NKC
2) Eureka
3) Helias
4) Truman
5) LSN
6) Savannah
7) FZW
8) Liberty
9) Ladue
10) Rock Bridge

Charles Dees
1. North Kansas City High School
2. Savannah High School
3. Hickman High School
4. Liberty High School
5. Parkway Central
6. Francis Howell Central
7. Rock Bridge High School
8. Eureka High School
9. Truman High School
10. Glasgow High School

My criteria for rating teams based on these ballots is the same as when I ran the poll last time. Every time a team got mentioned on a ballot, I would give it a certain amount of points based on what number it was given. A first place team would get 10 point, a 10th place team would get 1 point, etc. Then I would add up all of the points each team scored, and then rank them from most to least.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Before we get to the top 10, first here are the honorable mention, teams that were included in ballots but did not make the top 10. Recognition goes out to:
Helias High School (Jefferson City) (3, 8) = 11 points
Richland High School (Richland) (5, 7, 10) = 11 points
Rock Bridge High School (Columbia) (5, 7, 10) = 11 points
Hallsville High School (Hallsville) (6, 8, 9) = 10 points
St. Louis University High School (St. Louis) (7, 8, 10) = 8 points
St. Louis Priory School (Creve Coeur) (5) = 6 points
Kirksville High School (Kirksville) (8, 9) = 5 points
DeSmet High School (Creve Coeur) (9) = 2 points
Ladue Horton Watkins High School (St. Louis) (9) = 2 points
Lexington High School (Lexington) (9) = 2 points
Central High School (Cape Girardeau) (10) = 1 point
Glasgow High School (10) = 1 point
Westminster Christian Academy (St. Louis) (10) = 1 point

If you are confused, I have listed the school names, the city they are in, the ranks they were given on different ballots, and how many total points they've received in the polling process.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Now without further ado, here are the top 10 teams in the state, according to an aggregate of your opinions!

10. Lee's Summit North High School (Lee's Summit) (5, 7, 9) = 12 points
9. Truman High School (Independence) (4, 5, 9, 10) = 16 points
8. Hickman High School (Columbia) (2, 3, 4, 7) = 28 points
7. Fort Zumwalt West High School (O'Fallon) (4, 4, 5, 5, 7, 8, 9) = 35 points
6. Eureka High School (Eureka) (2, 4, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 9, 10) = 40 points
5. Parkway Central High School (Chesterfield) (3, 3, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 10) = 44 points
4. Savannah High School (Savannah) (2, 4, 4, 4, 6, 7, 8, 8) = 45 points
3. Francis Howell Central High School (St. Charles) (1, 1, 1, 3, 2, 6) = 52 points
2. Liberty High School (Liberty) (1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 8) = 72 points

And the winner of the poll, the #1 ranked team in Missouri according to you, is...
North Kansas City High School (North Kansas City) (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 6) with 90 points.
Congratulations to them and all the other teams, and best of luck with the rest of your seasons. You can look out for another poll after sectionals, and then a final poll after nationals.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

I am surprised Hickman isn't higher

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

FishyFreshman wrote:I am surprised Hickman isn't higher
How many tournaments have they attended? Part of this is based on that.

Both Ladue and Kirksville have not participated in anything this year (as far as I know), but may be pretty good (they did finish 2nd and 3rd in the state last year and both have key starters returning).

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

As far as I know Hickman has only attended 3 tournaments, so that makes sense that people haven't really seen them. I know they are a very knowledgeable team. They laid the smackdown on us at Mizzou, and we are ranked way above them. I am also interested in why so many people ranked NKC lower than 1 or 2. I figured they were a shoo in at this point.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

FishyFreshman wrote:I am also interested in why so many people ranked NKC lower than 1 or 2. I figured they were a shoo in at this point.
*Shrug* I wouldn't say people exactly ignored NKC; it was the only team mentioned on every poll--and two of the three non 1's and 2's were 3's.

What I think is rather interesting is the sharp split in opinion about us (FHC)--four polls never mentioned us, and four polls ranked us 1st or 2nd.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Yeah, I've never seen Hickman. It appears that those who have seen them hold them in high regard.

I don't think the final tally is very surprising, overall.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Yeah, I don't have any problems with the final result--it looks good. I just found the split in opinions interesting.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I can say now that the poll is over that Hickman was most impressive at the Mizzou Fall Academic Tournament, leading the field in power count and beating everyone but North Kansas City (including Rock Bridge, Liberty, Clayton, and Helias) by very convincing margins, as seen here - http://www.taftqb.com/t/2008mfat/teams/view/361
For a team that to my understanding barely practices, and rarely attends tournaments, they (especially Ashok) had a tremendous amount of what was clearly real-world knowledge of facts to propel them to such a high standing, and if they were to settle down and run their team more consistently, you would probably see them skyrocket to the top of lots of standings. For a team in Missouri, I don't know that I've ever seen such a naturally knowledgeable team.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

I only count 5 NKC 1st place votes (and only 9 ballots for them to receive votes on). Unless I've missed a ballot somewhere.

I like how I ranked FHC 1st while Charles H ranked PCH 10th . . . clearly an attempt to goad us into attending the NAQT qualifier. . . .

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

WillHack wrote:clearly an attempt to goad us into attending the NAQT qualifier. . . .
DO IT! We'd love to see more teams... only 2 1/2 weeks left and we only have 6 teams officially signed up. There aren't any tournaments in St. Louis as far as I know, so with Rolla only a little over an hour away it's a little disappointing that there are only two St. Louis area teams currently signed up.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

I'm working on it. . . .

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Yeah...sorry about that, Will--I would have put you guys higher, except that I sent in that poll back in mid-January...you know, before you took 3rd at WUHSAC? :P

I think you've proven that you're better than Eureka...you get at least a 6-7 in my estimate these days. So, you'd be above Savannah (and right below us) if I had sent in a correction.

By the way, I'm working on the qualifier too! :D

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

I'm surprised Priory didn't make it... and I'd say that PCH should be higher than Savannah. Savannah just isn't as strong as last year.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Well, but at Rolla Fall they went undefeated and beat teams like North Kansas City, Liberty, Richland, and Hallsville, which certainly bumps up their estimation.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Savannah is still very good this year. Zach really stepped in up with the loss of Terin and they can hold their own against most MO teams.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

I think it'd be nice if everyone posted a short summary of why they ranked the teams the way they did.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

I wasn't too impressed with Savannah when we lost to them at Rolla (I was the only PCH starter who played that tournament); what amounted to our B Team nearly beat them. But they certainly had a very good tournament, and it took some knowledge to beat some of those teams, even if luck was also involved. I'd have to play them once with Jason there to give you a good comparison.

Well, my rankings seemed simple at the time. I ranked FHC 1st because I consider Charles to be the best player in the state. I often have trouble distinguishing between Liberty and NKC, as we only see them once a year or so, and now there is no great divide between them called Charles Dees. I think either could beat the other at any given tournament.

Savannah has been a big powerhouse, and Truman got some victories over quality teams. If I had to rank again today, I would put PCH higher by a spot or 2; we've done very well since I submitted my ballot. I have a feeling that LSN and FZW may be overrated, assuming that some teams which have yet to play are very good. Eureka is still an excellent squad, and the 10th spot I had up for grabs, pretty much. Could have been Priory.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Alright...I guess I might as well post my summary:

1/ NKC: I put them first because of their high performance at Mizzou Fall, as well as from anecdotal evidence of the high skill of their players even without Charles Dees.
2/ Liberty: I put Liberty 2nd because of their consistent ability to challenge NKC, which thus implies that they're of a similar calibert.
3/ FHC: I put us 3rd because we've been the fairly consistent winners of most matchups in St. Louis. Zumwalt West & Parkway Central have both beaten us once (the loss against Priory was with me gone until the half), but both matches could easily have swung the other way, and we've beaten them much more consistently than they've beaten us.
4/ Savannah: Same reason as Liberty, but a little weaker.
5/ Fort Zumwalt West: FZW might be (as someone mentioned) a bit inflated, but I don't think so--their top players have had a nasty trend of punishing us whenever we underestimate them, and they've inflicted defeats on many of the other top teams in the area (Eureka, PCH)
6/ Eureka: To be honest, given the recent trend, Eureka would probably fall by one in my rankings, but they're still very tough (as someone mentioned).
7/ Richland: Richland is somewhat weakened sans Brian Mahan, but they still have Laura & Cale, and they've posted some fairly impressive results, especially at MS&T Fall...though also less than brilliant results at Mizzou Fall.
8/ Kirksville: Kirksville's team hasn't played anything, so I can't say how good they are based on results, but anecdotally, they're retaining a number of top players (if not Laura).
9/ Hallsville: Just a shade below Richland, as the results have shown. The two of them could be switched.
10/ Parkway Central: To be honest, I should have placed them 6th (above Eureka), but I didn't get around to amending my ballot. Reason? The results they've posted (especially WUHSAC).

Also worth mentions (schools I overlooked):

Ladue, Hickman (reasons already mentioned by others)

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

Well, I've not seen Liberty or NKC this year, but I do vividly remember FHC doing very well in tournaments.
2. Liberty
Great team. Spencer's great. They were good last year and they seem to be good this year.
3. Parkway Central
Awesome team. Like, I like the people on the team... Chris, Jason, Ammar... yeah. They're good, have consistently beaten us. Sure hope they get to state. they beat FHC, but by 10, so I'm not going to call that too significant, but it does boost their ranking.
4. Eureka
I think I placed us above FZW just because of the results of WUHSAC. It's a weird triangle... FZW lost to Eureka, who lost to Central, who also beat FZW... I'm just going by WUHSAC at this point because that's a tournament I feel more comfortable using to compare teams...
5. Ft. Zumwault West
See above.
6. NKC
Why didn't I put NKC higher? That, I do not know. They're good.
7. Hickman
They beat Liberty.
8. Savannah
Good team, but lost the fizz they had last year. Good team, but not as good... I'm still impressed with them, but seeing as how we (not in the top 3) beat them at Cuba, I'm not going to rank them much higher (here again I face an issue with us playing tourneys with different question styles and different formats...)
9. Lexington
Lexington was another good team. Our match against them in Cuba was closer than our Savannah game, so I ranked them in the top 10, but I've not seen them perform any where else, so hence, not higher.
10. Cape Central
They beat us once, although I'm still confident we were the better team... the team lacked a certain... aura I guess. Most of the questions we lost was us being slow on the buzzer, so meh.