Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Michigan Fall at Wash U 10-5-13

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
richardyu

Michigan Fall at Wash U 10-5-13

Post by richardyu »

Hi all,

Wash U will be hosting a mirror of MFT on October 5th, 2013. This tournament is written by the Michigan team and is supposed to be Fall/Fall-plus difficulty like last year's Illinois Fall Tournament. Please email us at washuqb@gmail.com to sign up.

Charles Hang will be TD'ing and will post a full announcement in the main forums at some point. We'll most likely have rooms in Eads Hall, where we held all of our college tournaments last year. Hopefully everyone will be free this weekend to play some relatively difficulty-controlled quiz bowl.

Charbroil

Re: Michigan Fall at Wash U 10-5-13

Post by Charbroil »

The Washington University Academic Team will be hosting a mirror of the Michigan Fall Tournament (MFT) on October 5th, 2013.

I, Charles Hang, will be serving as the Tournament Director. To register for the tournament, or if you have any questions, please email me at charleshang228@yahoo.com and CC our team account at washuqb@gmail.com.

Time

Tournament check-in will begin at 8:30 AM, morning announcements will be at 9:00, and play will begin by 9:15. The entire tournament (including awards and playoffs) should be over by 6:00 PM. Each team will be guaranteed ten or eleven games, depending on the final schedule, and there will be finals as necessary to determine the champion.

The tournament will almost certainly be taking place in Eads Hall (Building 32 on the map here). Any of the major parking lots on the map should be fine.

Registration

To register, please e-mail me at charleshang228@yahoo.com and CC our team account at washuqb@gmail.com with the following information:

1/ The Number of teams you will be bringing
2/ The Number of buzzers you will be bringing
3/ The number of players you will have, as well as their names.
4/ The number of staff (moderators and scorekeepers) you will be bringing

Please feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending.

Fee Structure

Base fee: $100
$5 off the base fee for schools per working buzzer system provided
$10 off the base fee for schools per competent staffer*
$10 off the base fee for schools for each 200 miles traveled, as determined by Google Maps.

Showing up late without getting in touch with me: +$20 penalty.

*To be defined as an individual capable of either reading a 20 tossup, 20 bonus match in under 30 minutes or capable of scorekeeping such a match.

Please make payment by check to "Washington University Academic Team." We can also take cash payments, but greatly prefer payment by check. If you have any further questions about payment, please contact our team account.

Eligibility
From the MFT Announcement wrote: In terms of eligibility, we will allow any teams comprised of players playing for a single school / college to compete. This includes graduate students and high schoolers.
Questions
From the MFT Announcement wrote: The set is intended to be "regular minus" or "fall plus" difficulty, akin to the EFT or IFT tournaments of the past. The final distribution of each packet will be:

4/4 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 Euro, 1/1 World/Mixed)
4/4 History (1/1 American, 2/2 Euro including British Commonwealth and Ancient, 1/1 World)
4/4 Science (1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Other Science)
3/3 RMP (1/1 Religion, 1/1 Mythology, 1/1 Philosophy)
3/3 FA (1/1 Painting, 1/1 Music, 1/1 Other FA with a roughly equal split of auditory and visual)
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Geo/CE/Miscellaneous

Which is basically the ACF distribution. Tossups will be powermarked during editing.
More information about MFT, including information about optional packet submission, can be found here.

Field (To be updated as registrations and expressions of interest appear)

Attending

Harding (2)
Mizzou (2)
WUSTL (2)
Tamil Tiger Mothers
Truman (3)
WKU
Drake (2)
Missouri Valley College

Expressed Interest

I look forward to seeing you at Washington University on October 5th!

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

WUSTL A (Richard Yu) took first; Tamil Tiger Mothers (Ben Zhang, Kisan Thakkar, Jialin Ding) took second after having to leave without playing a final. Richard was the top scorer, Ben was second. Stats will be forthcoming.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Unless I read the statistics report on Young Frankenstein wrong (or it messed up the PPG, which I guess is possible), I think Dylan finished ahead of Greg Lindsey in the individual standings.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:Unless I read the statistics report on Young Frankenstein wrong (or it messed up the PPG, which I guess is possible), I think Dylan finished ahead of Greg Lindsey in the individual standings.
There are some errors in the preliminary statistics; Greg Lindsey was the correct 8th place scorer.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Charbroil wrote:
Mickey0R0urke wrote:Unless I read the statistics report on Young Frankenstein wrong (or it messed up the PPG, which I guess is possible), I think Dylan finished ahead of Greg Lindsey in the individual standings.
There are some errors in the preliminary statistics; Greg Lindsey was the correct 8th place scorer.
Ah, ok. Hopefully my corrections that I sent in help reflect that, then.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Stats: Preliminaries - Playoffs- Combined

Because we did not carry over preliminary games into the final standings, the playoff stats reflect the final standings (minus the final).