Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Book Reviews

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
scphilli

Book Reviews

Post by scphilli »

So as many of you know I work in a bookstore and I'm always curious about what people are reading. I'm pretty lucky because I at least get to skim an interesting cross section of material both good and bad. Currently, I'm reading "The Book That Changed America: How Darwin's Theory of Evolution Ignited a Nation" by Randall Fuller. It approaches the subject matter in a way I didn't think of but discusses how the publication of Origin of Species on the eve of the Civil War all interplayed in the psychology and prevailing discourse at the time with some particular emphasis on people you wouldn't usually associate with either Darwin or the war like the transcendentalist writers. Overall, very interesting read from what I've seen (I've got about 2/3 of the way done.) and would definitely recommend as a library checkout or if it goes to paperback or you find a decent digital price. I wouldn't pay hardcover list though.

So what else is everyone reading?

socalcaptain

Re: Book Reviews

Post by socalcaptain »

Sadly I don't have much time to read for pleasure or even read things that I choose, thanks to grad school and thesis work. I'm really enjoying reading a book for one of my classes though - Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. She explores the use of indigenous ways of knowing the world and how that has conflicted with her identity as a scientist.