Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Random posts about music

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Machina

Random posts about music

Post by Machina »

I figured since we have a thread about food, why not one about music?

Just post whatever you're listening to right now, QB-canon or not.

Albums I've Recently Purchased:
Prepare the Preparations- Ludo (beastly, got it with a signed lyric booklet and everything)
The Suburbs- Arcade Fire (total awesome, I need to listen to more of them)
U218 Singles- U2 (I wanted to quickly add a lot of U2 to my collection haha)

octo

Re: Random posts about music

Post by octo »

A Call To Arms - Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution
From Rotting Fantasylands - Nero's Day at Disneyland
As the Roots Undo - Circle Takes the Square
40 oz to Freedom - Sublime
Stepping On The Crowtche Owf Your American President - Group X

i listen to everything

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

I was very sad earlier today about the situation with this girl I'm sort of/sort of not seeing here. :cry: I was listening to some Everly Brothers earlier; that helped me channel some emotions. :)

WilliamofOrange

Post by WilliamofOrange »

Baww, how'd you get Prepare the Preparations with a signed lyric booklet? Ludo was here just a little while ago at vintage vinyl, by the way. Unfortunately, the gas to get there for me is roughly the cost of the album. Nonetheless, the album is great. Though I think it may be hard to beat "Love Me Dead".

In other news, one of my new favorite bands is "Los Campesinos!", whose lyrics can be interpreted to practically any emotional state that you happen to occupy. Plus they're just great fun! You can tell by the exclamation mark in their name.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Just added this song to my iTunes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI
(Note: minor use of adult language - don't click if you still live in a bubble thicker than my hair right before a trim.)

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Just added this song to my iTunes:
(Note: minor use of adult language - don't click if you still live in a bubble thicker than my hair right before a trim.)
Like that's going to stop anybody on this board! :P

L-Town Expatriate

PenforPrez wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:Just added this song to my iTunes:
Like that's going to stop anybody on this board! :P
True, but it might still cause issues for people who still live in a bubble thicker than my hair right before a trim.

But not as big an issue as why they still live in a bubble thicker than my hair right before a trim.

Machina

Post by Machina »

@Will: They were selling them at Slacker's out here in the country!!! :D I love St. Louis...

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

I really want to learn to play the oboe :P

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Have you ever played one before? It's shockingly difficult to actually properly make a noise on a double reeded instrument, and I'm convinced that the strain on your head can take off years of your life if you're an oboist.

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Have you ever played one before? It's shockingly difficult to actually properly make a noise on a double reeded instrument, and I'm convinced that the strain on your head can take off years of your life if you're an oboist.
No, but it sounds really cool. And it didnt take me too long to learn the flute, so... maybe it will become the next project of mine.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

See avatar.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Tonight, I'm going to get my guitar back out and try to relearn some chords. I want to get more proficient with my guitar so I can try writing songs again. That would be fun. :)

L-Town Expatriate

Most recent addition:
Florence & The Machine.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Threw in some random Zelda: Ocarina of Time music (Gerudo Valley is excellent), Nightmare from Avenged Sevenfold (shut up Dees), and some british band.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Music is much better when it's not on a microSD card I somehow fried this morning.

L-Town Expatriate

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:Music is much better when it's not on a microSD card I somehow fried this morning.
*ADMIN SHOULD COPY THIS POST TO "THINGS THAT SUCK" THREAD*

Ouch. :(

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Song I'm listening to right now:

Blues Stay Away From Me by the Delmore Brothers from 1949, I think. It's considered one of the direct roots of rock and roll. :)

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I love it when Amazon has random codes for a couple bucks of free MP3 downloads (the one that I found about today is CLOUDMP3 for a $2 credit... thanks deals.woot)

Unfortunately a couple of the songs I wanted to buy weren't available (one is album only because it's almost 11 minutes on a 43 minute album on which I already own 4 of the 7 songs on a compilation album; the other is just plain not available in any form...) so I decided to check iTunes for the first time in years to see if they had either. The pleasant surprise was that I apparently still have $12 in iTunes credit from a gift card I got several years ago. But for whatever stupid Apple reason, the iTunes store apparently doesn't work with iTunes 8, and the latest version of iTunes won't install on my Mac (running 10.4 Tiger)... how convenient. Guess I'll have to boot into Windows (XP) sometime and install it... incredibly sad that iTunes still works on a 10 year old Windows operating system but not a 6 year old Mac OS version. I'm so glad I ditched Apple's crap.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Best of Darryl Hall and John Oates. BAM.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:Best of Darryl Hall and John Oates. BAM.
I endorse this product or service.

L-Town Expatriate

Chilling rendition of our state song, as featured in the introduction of Winter's Bone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70igGUGIxec

Papa's in the House

Post by Papa's in the House »

Start a Pandora channel for Explosions in the Sky and let the calming music carry you away.

WilliamofOrange

Post by WilliamofOrange »

Papa's in the House wrote:Start a Pandora channel for Explosions in the Sky and let the calming music carry you away.
I fully endorse this activity. Sigur Ros, The Union Trade, and This Will Destroy You have similar effects.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

For those who have yet to discover, Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Easily the frontrunner for Album of the Year.

octo

Post by octo »

except it came out last year

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

It came out too late to be considered for it last year.

octo

Post by octo »

ugh grammies

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The Gingerbread update on my HTC Inspire was a mistake, since it now causes my music to start randomly cutting out after the phone has been on for a few straight days (among other annoying problems). Today the cutting out started again, so I restarted my phone and once it had been on the home screen for about 30 seconds I went to the music app, but 30 seconds was still apparently too quick, because I got the annoying "please insert an SD card" message. I went back shortly after and my music was there but it reset to the first song alphabetically. I went to the song it was playing when it started being choppy and started playing it, and went on with my day.

Later I decided I wanted to hear a particular song since I've had it on my phone for almost 3 months now and hadn't heard it a single time at work, so out of curiosity I skipped ahead a few songs just to see if there was a great song I was about to miss as a result of choosing something else. It was at that time I noticed that the whole "please insert an SD card" thing reset the settings so that shuffle was off... so I had been listening to about 40 songs all in alphabetical order without realizing it! (And that included at least two instances of studio and live versions of the same song playing back to back that I didn't notice!)

I should have known something was up because I did notice that the song I picked after restarting didn't show up as the first song in the "playlist", which it does when you pick a song when shuffle is on. Oh well, it created yet another miscellaneous board post by me that just wasted a couple of minutes of your time...