Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Scribblenauts

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
dividebyzero

Scribblenauts

Post by dividebyzero »

This thread is intended for anyone who has either a) ever played Scribblenauts b) wishes they had ever played Scribblenauts or c) should have played Scribblenauts (everyone)

Please post whatever you feel like as long as it's related to the game. Strategies, hilarious scenarios, questions, etc. Also, in the same spirit as things that suck and lalalalalala, don't let this thread die because of one stupid comment. Keeep in mind: What would Maxwell do? (which is just write-and-summon something else that could fix the situation)

Oh yeah, in case you didn't know. BEST GAME EVER.

dividebyzero

Re: Scribblenauts

Post by dividebyzero »

Guess I'll start this out just by saying that I (obviously) highly recommend this game to everyone out there. The basic premise is that you get to summon just about any object you want in order to solve puzzles/tasks. Simply write out the name of whatever it is you want, and it will appear onscreen for your character to interact with. It sounds simple, but it is really quite addicting, helped by the seemingly endless number of items you can summon (swords, velociraptors, kitchens, jetpacks, the LHC...the possibilities are endless). Basically, it's really fun just to see how you can figure out different stuff in creative ways. They even find ways to reward you for your creativity (to some extent). The game is basically just available for Nintendo DS, but that plus a couple others (New Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart DS, etc.) are probably worth getting one for.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Epic game.

Remember, Gnu > Tornado. Even Cthulhu/Kraken couldn't face the nado.

johnboy81918

Post by johnboy81918 »

dividebyzero wrote:plus a couple others (New Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart DS, etc.) are probably worth getting one for.
Just a couple others? Not that I'll argue with the 2 you gave, since I absolutely love MKDS, and played it rather competitively for about 2 years...

Off the top of my head, and just from the past year, the DS has had plenty of solid releases, including:
GTA: Chinatown Wars (great top-down GTA game, one of my favorite DS games)
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (best genre-combo I've ever seen successfully pulled off!)
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (on my to-be-played list after I finish Phantom Hourglass)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Professor Layton and the Diabolical (Pandora's) Box (anybody who liked the first should definitely get this)

I'd probably take too long to list other (older) must-have games, so I'll stick with this for now :P

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Point taken. "Couple" was probably the wrong word to use here. Those are the first two games I thought of, but I do agree that there are a lot of other good games out there, especially all of the remakes/series continuations they've been coming out with recently (In addition to the stuff you already listed: Advance Wars, Metroid, Pokemon, etc.). Since I don't actually own a DS, I don't really pay that much attention to everything that comes out for it (and haven't played a whole lot of the games), so I'm probably not the best authority on this stuff...

PCreedon

Post by PCreedon »

My favorite game by far for the DS, though I do immensely enjoy most of the games on the above list, is Jump! Ultimate Stars, an import game similar to Super Smash Brothers.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

PCreedon wrote:My favorite game by far for the DS, though I do immensely enjoy most of the games on the above list, is Jump! Ultimate Stars, an import game similar to Super Smash Brothers.
Similar to Smash? I might have to check it out. Smash is arguably my favorite [multiplayer] game (or series for that matter), and I've always wanted to be able to play it portably (closest I've ever gotten is Super Smash Flash or Chaos Faction online). Of course, I don't expect it to have anything on the Smash series. But that's probably just personal bias, since I like Smash so much (reminds me of HSNCT last year, Friday night: Super Smash Bros. [N64] and Mario Party until some ridiculous hour in the morning :mrgreen: )

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Anyways, I discovered the best (at least most reliable) way to kill anybody/anything you need to get rid of in Scribblenauts is to summon Death. Nothing else works every single time...

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

Jump! Super Stars is the video game I wish came out when I was 13. All those characters from those crazy Japanese cartoons (Naruto, Shaman King, One Piece, Bleach, etc.) fighting it out... ah, I want a DS!