Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Random posts about food

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
PenforPrez

Re: Random posts about food

Post by PenforPrez »

I have a female friend coming over Wednesday (we're sort of going out, but we're sort of not--it's complicated); I'm going to cook for her. :) I'm excited about finally having somebody to cook for. I'm going to cook my special pasta dish--whole wheat rotini, Italian sausage, diced ham, broccoli and alfredo sauce topped with biscuits. Yummers. :) I'll surprise her afterward with my special chocolate chip cookies. :D

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Go get her. :D

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Go get her. :D
The problem is, somebody already did when they were in undergrad together in Wooster, Ohio, and they just broke up. This is where the "sort of not going out" part comes in. She likes me, but she can't pursue anything till she over the breakup. Yeah, lots of drama. :roll:

L-Town Expatriate

Take your time, but the aroma of food served at Le Bistro du PEN should be a good first step.

Correcting my lame attempt at French might be a second. :P

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

By the way, GETSUM

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Hmm, soda isn't exactly food, but I'll write about it anyways.

Mountain Dew Whiteout is decent but Voltage is much better (and yes, Chris, they still sell Voltage. I'll get you a bottle for WUHSAC if I remember)

They should open my Fitz's glass bottle if they're gonna sell it to me. I don't think I'm supposed to go outside and open it on the masonry. (and I decided against borrowing a bottle opener on a college campus)

A&W [sparkling vanilla] cream soda is delectable, never had it before yesterday. And it's caffeinated, yet another reason it one ups regular old root beer (which is good too, don't get me wrong)

I miss the good old days when you could make a [small] fortune selling cans of soda. Perhaps I'll find a new partner and start up the old business again. None of the other freshman [minus two people] have cars, so that's a plus for me.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

dividebyzero wrote:I don't think I'm supposed to go outside and open it on the masonry. (and I decided against borrowing a bottle opener on a college campus)
Have you considered a can opener?

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

A can opener to open a bottle? Even if that would work, it's not exactly designed for that purpose (unless the can opener has a bottle opener on the back, but then that part is really just a bottle opener). Plus, it's not like I had one of those readily available either. No worries though. I got the soda open and I don't buy those bottles very often anyways.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

dividebyzero wrote:A can opener to open a bottle? Even if that would work, it's not exactly designed for that purpose (unless the can opener has a bottle opener on the back, but then that part is really just a bottle opener). Plus, it's not like I had one of those readily available either. No worries though. I got the soda open and I don't buy those bottles very often anyways.
My can opener has a little claw like protrusion to open bottles; I assumed they were standard.

L-Town Expatriate

I got a wallet-sized bottle opener as a trinket from a wedding last year. It's sweet.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

The ones I have right now do too, and one I had before didn't. At any rate, they were at home (since they're not as awesomely convenient as Kyle's)

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Topsy's cinnamon popcorn... amazing stuff. I completely forgot it even existed until a few days ago and I may or may not have gone overboard with my purchase yesterday :D

Oh, and Topsy's cherry limeades are pretty awesome too.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

I had three (maybe three and a half) liters of water today. A bottle for every game I read [for the most part]

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I got a $20 Visa reward card from AT&T and used it for my obligatory stops at Penn Station and Lion's Choice last weekend. After those two transactions my balance was $7.71... the exact amount of a chicken burrito and a bag of chips at Chipotle in Olathe! How convenient!

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote: Penn Station and Lion's Choice
so gooooooood

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Culver's pumpkin concretes and shakes are back :-D

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Random question for you St. Louis people: are fountain quarts always 69¢ at your QuikTrip stores? The last several times I've been to the one in Columbia they were 69¢ like they were a special but this time it was 69¢ on the actual sign (i.e. not a temporary sticker).

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Wild West Wednesdays at Texas Roadhouse... 11 ounce sirloin dinner for $10.99 :D

I just took a look at the list of locations opening soon and noticed that Columbia is finally getting one in December (It's always been strange to me that Columbia hasn't had one yet Cape has had one for several years)

Then Charlie informed me a Penn Station is opening up in Columbia so I had to go look at their locations...

And one is coming soon to Overland Park (with more to come)! Needless to say I am excited! Soon I won't have to head to St. Louis to get my Penn Station fix! :D Now if only Lion's Choice and Lee's Chicken would head this way...

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:Wild West Wednesdays at Texas Roadhouse... 11 ounce sirloin dinner for $10.99 :D

I just took a look at the list of locations opening soon and noticed that Columbia is finally getting one in December (It's always been strange to me that Columbia hasn't had one yet Cape has had one for several years)

Then Charlie informed me a Penn Station is opening up in Columbia so I had to go look at their locations...

And one is coming soon to Overland Park (with more to come)! Needless to say I am excited! Soon I won't have to head to St. Louis to get my Penn Station fix! :D Now if only Lion's Choice and Lee's Chicken would head this way...
There's a Penn Station about 4 blocks down the street from where I live now.

L-Town Expatriate

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:Then Charlie informed me a Penn Station is opening up in Columbia so I had to go look at their locations...

Overland Park used to have a Lion's Choice, as I recall. Not sure about Lee's Chicken.

So long as you don't subject the rest of the family to Provel cheese.

L-Town Expatriate

Also, with Mizzou joining the SEC, Zaxby's better dang well set up shop in Missouri soon. Ditto for College Station.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Overland Park used to have a Lion's Choice, as I recall.
Yep, that appears to be correct, unfortunately... if I remember right they used to have a location in Columbia and some locations in Florida and maybe even Texas but now they're limited to around St. Louis and Oklahoma City... doesn't look like further expansion is likely anytime soon given that track record... :(

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

There's also a Lion's Choice in Sullivan, unless it closed in the past week or so. Good stuff.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DeckardCain wrote:There's also a Lion's Choice in Sullivan, unless it closed in the past week or so. Good stuff.
Yeah it's still there... I loosely counted that one as part of St. Louis...

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

One thing the new Penn Station may get me to do is go to Pepperjax Grill more... they're a small chain out of Omaha with locations in Lawrence and Overland Park that have Phillies and rice bowls (similar to Chipotle's). Delicious stuff and not as pricey as Penn Station, but I've only been there once since it's several miles out of the way (it's about a mile away from the new Penn Station, so if I'm going to be driving out that way occasionally to get my Penn Station fix, no reason I shouldn't head to Pepperjax occasionally).

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

First thing I thought of when I saw the new name of the miscellaneous section was "Which Wich?" the sandwich place. I think it's possible that I'm overly obsessed with them...

octo

Post by octo »

dividebyzero wrote:overly obsessed with them...
impossible

L-Town Expatriate

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Also, with Mizzou joining the SEC, Zaxby's better dang well set up shop in Missouri soon.
And sure enough, they have.

Indescribably good. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: