Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Trivia Night

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
WillHack

Trivia Night

Post by WillHack »

Moderator note: This thread was split from ALL 2009-2010 ANNOUNCED DATES.
I hear comments from the very top teams, but I would guess outside of the top 20 - 30 teams in the state, this site is as foreign to them as that 17-year old girl tearing up the US Open (whatever her name is). My two senior girls on the tenns team in stats class said, "That could be me!"
Melanie Oudin? How can you not know Melanie Oudin?! Whenever I realize that Caroline Wozniacki has the exact same birthdate as me, I wonder what I could have done with my life. . . .

Back to the topic, maybe the tournaments themselves would be good time for getting out information about this site? Then, more date-coordination would be possible and fewer conflicts would occur.

FZW Coach

Trivia Night

Post by FZW Coach »

Good thought. Thanks for the name, Will. Maybe that will help me out tonight. I am playing trivia with Sean and Paul in south St. Louis.

AShoaib

Trivia Night

Post by AShoaib »

Heh, I just met Paul a few hours ago.

WillHack

Trivia Night

Post by WillHack »

That team sounds like it could win for sure, especially if Abdullah joins.

FZW Coach

Trivia Night

Post by FZW Coach »

We won! . . . well, the 1st round . . . (13/15).

The two we missed: how many wings does a bee have?

I take full responsibility for talking Sean out of the correct answer. I feel kind of silly about that today after asking 5 or 6 of my quizzers (and all of them knowing the actual answer).

The second question: in what stadium has more NFL games been played than any other? I still have trouble believing the answer on this one. I want to look up some information about this.

We finished 3rd in round 2. We missed a few rooms on the Clue board, a few players in the 2006 World Series Game 1 Cardinals lineup, and three of the American Iron Chefs.

After that, they had a visual round and a music round. I left after the visual round and didn't hear exactly what we did with that. I enjoy the actual questions that they have in the 1st and 2nd rounds more so than the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Prizes were awarded for each round. It was held at a bar/grill that Paul and Sean have discovered. It was fun!

FZW Coach

Trivia Night

Post by FZW Coach »

Wrigley Field once held the record for the most NFL games played in a single stadium with 365 regular season NFL games, but this record was surpassed in September 2003 by Giants Stadium in New Jersey, thanks to its dual-occupancy by the New York Giants and New York Jets.The game played between the Jets and Miami Dolphins on September 14, 2003 was the 366th regular season NFL game at Giants Stadium breaking Wrigley's regular season record.[8] The 50 seasons the Bears spent at Wrigley Field had been an NFL record until 2006 when Lambeau Field duplicated this feat by hosting the Packers for the 50th season, and broke it in 2007.

Source:
[8] Cross, B. Duane. "The runaround: Sticking with ground game pays off in Week 2", Sports Illustrated, September 14, 2003. Accessed August 6, 2008. "According to Elias Sports Bureau via Michael Eisen of the G-Men, the Dolphins-Jets game was the 366th NFL regular season game played in Giants Stadium, surpassing Wrigley Field in Chicago as the most frequently used stadium in NFL history (regular season only)."

I feel justified. Giants Stadium was my answer!!!!! The correct answer, according to the guy running it, was Wrigley Field.

scphilli

Trivia Night

Post by scphilli »

FZW Coach wrote:Wrigley Field once held the record for the most NFL games played in a single stadium with 365 regular season NFL games, but this record was surpassed in September 2003 by Giants Stadium in New Jersey, thanks to its dual-occupancy by the New York Giants and New York Jets.The game played between the Jets and Miami Dolphins on September 14, 2003 was the 366th regular season NFL game at Giants Stadium breaking Wrigley's regular season record.[8] The 50 seasons the Bears spent at Wrigley Field had been an NFL record until 2006 when Lambeau Field duplicated this feat by hosting the Packers for the 50th season, and broke it in 2007.

Source:
[8] Cross, B. Duane. "The runaround: Sticking with ground game pays off in Week 2", Sports Illustrated, September 14, 2003. Accessed August 6, 2008. "According to Elias Sports Bureau via Michael Eisen of the G-Men, the Dolphins-Jets game was the 366th NFL regular season game played in Giants Stadium, surpassing Wrigley Field in Chicago as the most frequently used stadium in NFL history (regular season only)."

I feel justified. Giants Stadium was my answer!!!!! The correct answer, according to the guy running it, was Wrigley Field.
Yeah I looked that one up as well and saw you were right. This goes to show that sometimes one should always double fact check what it is they are using as a reference particularly when it is "X holds the record for most times doing Y." There are ALWAYS ways something or someone can surpass it.

By the way, you were right to leave before the music round. I maybe knew 7 of the 20 songs. The others I couldn't even guess the artists. And when it's pop culture and too niche even for me, that's BAD.

PenforPrez

Trivia Night

Post by PenforPrez »

WillHack wrote:That team sounds like it could win for sure, especially if Abdullah joins.
We do alright; usually it's just Sean and I. We usually win one round, sometimes two. But considering that the two of us can beat teams of sometimes ten people, that's pretty good. B-) It does get competitive, especially when the bar team is at full strength. They have a lot of smart people.

What's most amazing to me and Sean is the stuff that we can remember, considering neither of us are active players on the academic side anymore. When Jeremy joined us a couple of weeks ago, the first question was, "What is the currency of Vietnam?"

That is the type of thing I would know just from my base of random useless knowledge, and that did sound vaguely familiar. I wrote what came first in my head--the baht. Which I knew was a southeast Asian currency, but it didn't sound right. Sean told me not to worry about it, but I kept it brewing in my head.

A few questions later, I remembered the answer--the currency of Vietnam is the dong. The baht is the currency of Thailand. I got it correct when it counted, and that's what matters. :)

PenforPrez

Re: Trivia Night

Post by PenforPrez »

Here's an interesting article on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website about local trivia nights. I had no idea they were so popular locally. :o

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entert ... enDocument

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Re: Trivia Night

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The article wrote:"What do Ulysses S. Grant, George Armstrong Custer and Robert E. Lee have in common?"

There is no one correct answer. They are all dead men who graduated from West Point, had facial hair and fought in the Civil War. This is a bad question.
Coming soon to a Chip Beall tournament near you?