Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

lalalalala

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Ford08

lalalalala

Post by Ford08 »

Napoleon Dynamite is a very good independant film. It was a very low budget movie that did what low budget movies are supposed to do (which is capture the attention of those that are blanketed by the crap that Hollywood puts out). Also if you really look into the plot line ya its cheesey, but still funny. I am a huge fan of Independant films. Actually I watch a lot of IFC. Some of my favorite movies are the original star wars (which were made by lucas films which was independate at the time), American History X (This is just a Kick A movie), Sideways, Pulp Fiction, Resivour Dogs, and many more that I cannot name. Seriously I understand why a lot of people do not and did not like ND but thats because they have only seen really tackey Hollywood films. On a sidenote in Springfield we have a Indy film theature called the Moxie and it is excellent.

LittleMissLit

lalalalala

Post by LittleMissLit »

ashkenaziCD wrote:
That's one... two... three, three sentence fragments.
lol thanks for counting.

Charlie Dees

lalalalala

Post by Charlie Dees »

Ford08 wrote: Napoleon Dynamite is a very good independant film. It was a very low budget movie that did what low budget movies are supposed to do (which is capture the attention of those that are blanketed by the crap that Hollywood puts out). Also if you really look into the plot line ya its cheesey, but still funny. I am a huge fan of Independant films. Actually I watch a lot of IFC. Some of my favorite movies are the original star wars (which were made by lucas films which was independate at the time), American History X (This is just a Kick A movie), Sideways, Pulp Fiction, Resivour Dogs, and many more that I cannot name. Seriously I understand why a lot of people do not and did not like ND but thats because they have only seen really tackey Hollywood films. On a sidenote in Springfield we have a Indy film theature called the Moxie and it is excellent.
Mostly this gets a big QFT.

Ford08

lalalalala

Post by Ford08 »

QFT? Ive never actually understood what that meant.

Death

lalalalala

Post by Death »

quoted for truth, methinks...and lets be honest we all know im never wrong

Ford08

lalalalala

Post by Ford08 »

Death Posted on Mar 2 2008, 09:11 PM
quoted for truth, methinks...and lets be honest we all know im never wrong
yes, u are never wrong...or it don't exist.

LittleMissLit

lalalalala

Post by LittleMissLit »

ha ha suckers,
i'm going to Bonnaroo.
and you're not.
i.
love.
sentence.
fragments.
lol.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

Ford08 wrote: On a sidenote in Springfield we have a Indy film theature called the Moxie and it is excellent.
I've never actually made it there...I'd thought about it THIS weekend but they just pulled the film I was going to see! OMG! I am dyyyying to see Persepolis.

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

i hear persepolis is really good.

i really really need to see there will be blood.

O RLY?

lalalalala

Post by O RLY? »

Today's YA RLY's 91st birthday? Pure Lies! I was born before you and I'm not that old!

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

Persepolis is one of my favorite books, and then the movie's drawn by the author, sooo, yeah.
except i hated persepolis 2 and the movie incorporates both books (and from the previews, looks like it leans more on the latter)...alas.
but mostly i just hated 2 because I wrote a paper that I LOVED about how Persepolis succeeds because the narrator is a child, and that it wouldn't work if the narrator was an adult, but the latter is the case in 2. hahaha

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Out of the last 5 times I've been to Walmart, I've gotten the "We value your opinion" survey request on my receipt 5 times...

What's your record for most consecutive times, Caitlin? ;-) (it was you who always gets the survey, right?)

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

things I never thought I'd miss desperately while in England: walmart. turns out nothing is cheap in london...haha.
I mean, in principle, sure, walmart baaaad. but it's so cheap, I can't afford to avoid it!

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

lalalalala

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

LibertyMarie wrote: things I never thought I'd miss desperately while in England: walmart. turns out nothing is cheap in london...haha.
I mean, in principle, sure, walmart baaaad. but it's so cheap, I can't afford to avoid it!
Uhh... did you even go to an Asda over there? Or a Tesco?

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

No, it wasn't worth tube fare (or the time) to get to big stores. I was in the center of London, we had little "Tesco Expresses" here and there where one could buy a loaf of bread for 76p (and no alcohol after 11pm) but I had a meal plan so I didn't really need to buy many groceries. Like, I wanted a collapsible laundry hamper. Here, that's quite easily obtainable. I never came across one!

I do love these commercials. I watched those and was like, dang, I never saw that kind of tesco. haha

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

WTF?? I don't understand!

Jeffrey Hill

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Well they're definitely joke bids now (granted, I hope all of them were not serious bids)... the top bidder has no feedback whatsoever; the same goes for about half of the other bids. Whoever b***d is probably bid OVER $9000.

Jeffrey Hill

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The listing was removed... but now if you search for "Illinois corn flake" there are 98 results. (When I searched for it Sunday evening it was the only result)

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

lalalalala

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

seen it

:P

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

hehehe!

DeckardCain

lalalalala

Post by DeckardCain »

KentB

lalalalala

Post by KentB »

Is this tagged because his name is Jimbo? I hope so.... other than the MUST reference

:P

DeckardCain

lalalalala

Post by DeckardCain »

Entirely because of the MUST reference, though I have to admit Jimbo is an awesome name.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

DeckardCain wrote: Entirely because of the MUST reference, though I have to admit Jimbo is an awesome name.
ahaha. anyone read Questionable Content? there is a character named Jimbo.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

(facebook)
Bill got married?
I mean...congratulations!

Jeffrey Hill

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Aren't there two possible arrangements of A, B, and C, resulting in this question having 2 possible answers? Or am I overlooking something? Or am I taking the math content of Calvin and Hobbes way too seriously?

;)

Jeffrey Hill

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

So I got an oil change today... and what are the odds that someone from high school who I haven't talked to in over 2 years would ALSO be there... and that we would both recognize each other but not say anything because we weren't completely sure it was the other?

(I'm in Wichita for an internship this summer)

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

ScoBo1987 wrote: Aren't there two possible arrangements of A, B, and C, resulting in this question having 2 possible answers? Or am I overlooking something? Or am I taking the math content of Calvin and Hobbes way too seriously?

;)
yes.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

ScoBo1987 wrote: and that we would both recognize each other but not say anything because we weren't completely sure it was the other?
hahaha, I hate those moments. who was it??

and, yes, I would say that you are taking the math content of Calvin and Hobbes too seriously. : )

Jeffrey Hill

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I just bought 24 spiral notebooks at Wal-Mart for $1.28

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

Impressive! um...I just bought a Zac Efron folder at walmart for 84 cents! haha

scphilli

lalalalala

Post by scphilli »

LibertyMarie wrote: Impressive! um...I just bought a Zac Efron folder at walmart for 84 cents! haha
You get what you paid for...

And you paid too darn much.

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

ScoBo1987 wrote: I just bought 24 spiral notebooks at Wal-Mart for $1.28
the woman who was checking out in front of me at walmart this morning had 47 of them. two whole boxes. she said she was planning to give them away to the kids at her church.

DeckardCain

lalalalala

Post by DeckardCain »

scphilli wrote:
LibertyMarie wrote: Impressive!  um...I just bought a Zac Efron folder at walmart for 84 cents!  haha
You get what you paid for...

And you paid too darn much.
Yeah, I'm with Sean on this one. I'd rather have my fingernails plucked out one by one than have to watch Hairspray with my cousin again.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

eh, I prefer my Zac HSM2-style. (Or 3!!!! Very excited for that.) I can't stand his hair in Hairspray, and his costumes make him look too skinny!
haha. I do try to be profound.

scphilli

lalalalala

Post by scphilli »

To resurrect an old parlor game I used to play back in the day of Hanson: which Jonas Brother do you all think will end up in rehab first? My money's on Nick. He seems like the kind that got hooked on uppers and downers when he was young...

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

scphilli wrote: To resurrect an old parlor game I used to play back in the day of Hanson: which Jonas Brother do you all think will end up in rehab first? My money's on Nick. He seems like the kind that got hooked on uppers and downers when he was young...
hmm... i don't know their names, but my pick is the oldest one. jealousy of the middle one, who is i believe known as the 'cute' one, could drive him to drugs and booze... haha.

Jeffrey Hill

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

My auto insurance rate (liability only) apparently almost HALVED just for turning 21.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

aww I <3 Kevin.
I agree, Nick. he just seems sketch.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

LibertyMarie wrote: (Or 3!!!! Very excited for that.)
om nom nom

Ford08

lalalalala

Post by Ford08 »

SERIOUS QUESTION!!!!

How long does it take to get a student loan?

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

Ford08 wrote: SERIOUS QUESTION!!!!

How long does it take to get a student loan?
like, to apply for one or to get your monies?

if you've already applied for the loan, got it, and have all your paperwork for it in order, the loan should be disbursed- meaning the school should recieve the money and credit it toward your account- around the end of august/early september. if its a government loan, that is. and your school should know this, and it shouldn't put any penalties on your matriculation or anything.

if you're asking about applying for the loan, i have no idea. i worked in the business office, not financial aid. probably call the financial aid office.

scphilli

lalalalala

Post by scphilli »

If you haven't filled out your FAFSA, do it immediately. It is not too late. Once you get your confirmation that it's gone through, you should be fine.

Now, your university could take a while to certify your loans. One year SLU didn't start certifying ANYONE's student loans until the week of orientation, or three days before school began. If you need to in order to buy books, see if your school has a program whereby you can get an emergency loan which will be offset by your disbursement.

If you're talking about a private loan, it's really up to the lender.

Ford08

lalalalala

Post by Ford08 »

No Ive done FAFSA but I am just looking to get an In House Student Loan this week. I need to apply get verified and get money for school, though the loan goes through the school so I am just curious about how long it usually takes though you guys have been very helpful thank you.

scphilli

lalalalala

Post by scphilli »

Ford08 wrote: No Ive done FAFSA but I am just looking to get an In House Student Loan this week. I need to apply get verified and get money for school, though the loan goes through the school so I am just curious about how long it usually takes though you guys have been very helpful thank you.
Ah, in that case, it depends on them. As long as it gets approved you should be fine with your university.

Jeffrey Hill

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

For quite a while now it seems that when I click on my bookmark to moquizbowl.com I always have to click it a second time for the site to load (but it always loads the second time). Anybody else having this issue (or issues with the moquizbowl.com domain in general)?

--update--
It seems to only happen when I try to come back to the site within a few minutes of last visiting it. If I'm gone for longer (like when I go to class) when I get back it will load fine the first time. I'm sure most of you don't constantly end up loading the board every 5 minutes like I do.

Jeffrey Hill

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Is gasoline really made up of crude oil? Because it's come down as low as $103 today and if what I'm seeing on GasBuddy is accurate, gas is in the process of jumping up another quarter today.

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

ScoBo1987 wrote: Is gasoline really made up of crude oil? Because it's come down as low as $103 today and if what I'm seeing on GasBuddy is accurate, gas is in the process of jumping up another quarter today.
No. Gas is made of fairies and unicorn farts. Hence its scarcity.