Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Things that don't suck

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
scphilli

Re: Things that don't suck

Post by scphilli »

A friend of mine recommended this to me and it does NOT suck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwnFE_NpMsE

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Export as PDF feature in my word processor. Never thought it would come in handy as much as it is right now.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

While Paul, Jeff Hill, Alex, and I were coming back from Chicago tonight, we stopped at a Hardee's in Normal, Illinois, a town that is anything but. Did you know they have the nation's largest Dairy Queen? It's like 3 square feet larger than any other Dairy Queen but my is it EVER impressive. While ordering we began to peruse the schedule of the local independent minor league baseball team, the Normal Cornbelters "Affordable Family Fun Entertainment." The following is a sampling of their promotions:

June 1- Opening Night. Presenting the Amazing Christopher
June 14 - 70's Night; Big Hair Night
June 15 (the very next night) - Bald is Beautiful Night; Free haircuts, hair donation to cancer patients, Best Bald Head Contest.
June 26 - Girl Scout Campout Featuring "Anna Jack." [Kinda creepy.]
July 24 - Featuring Jesse White Tumblers
July 26 - Farmers Tribute Night - Touch a Combine(!)
July 27 - A Salute to Corn! - $1 ears of Roasted Corn
July 31 - Boy Scout Campout Featuring "Krazy George" [Creepier...]
Aug 5 - Illinois Pork Producers Salute to Pork
Aug. 21 - Shriner's Game Featuring "Shriner's Clowns"
Sept. 4 - Money Madness - Money in Hotdogs

So, who wants to do a roadtrip to touch a combine?

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

scphilli wrote:While Paul, Jeff Hill, Alex, and I were coming back from Chicago tonight, we stopped at a Hardee's in Normal, Illinois, a town that is anything but. Did you know they have the nation's largest Dairy Queen? It's like 3 square feet larger than any other Dairy Queen but my is it EVER impressive. While ordering we began to peruse the schedule of the local independent minor league baseball team, the Normal Cornbelters "Affordable Family Fun Entertainment." The following is a sampling of their promotions:

June 15 (the very next night) - Bald is Beautiful Night; Free haircuts, hair donation to cancer patients, Best Bald Head Contest.

Hey, I think we stopped in Bloomington-Normal as well...

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

scphilli wrote:While Paul, Jeff Hill, Alex, and I were coming back from Chicago tonight, we stopped at a Hardee's in Normal, Illinois, a town that is anything but. Did you know they have the nation's largest Dairy Queen? It's like 3 square feet larger than any other Dairy Queen but my is it EVER impressive. While ordering we began to peruse the schedule of the local independent minor league baseball team, the Normal Cornbelters "Affordable Family Fun Entertainment." The following is a sampling of their promotions:

I'm so glad I decided to roadtrip instead of flying, even considering in the last 71 hours I've only slept twice (got up at 4 AM on Friday and just got home a few minutes ago.) That leg of the trip very well might have been the most fun couple of hours I've ever spent in a car.

mujason

Post by mujason »

It's about time the farmers that work so hard to feed America get a tribute; as for touching a combine, I can walk 100 feet and do that.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

We pretty much had to be there to realise how much this didn't suck, even if Normal's an outgrowth of Bloomington.

Did you guys get a picture or a copy of the poster to share with everyone?

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:That leg of the trip very well might have been the most fun couple of hours I've ever spent in a car.
Amen, brotha.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

For those who are interested in reading more, visit http://www.normalbaseball.com.
Normal Baseball Promotions, July 26 wrote:Central Illinois would not be what it is today without farmers. Their tireless hours put in the fields harvesting corn and raising livestock to put food on everyone's plates should not go unnoticed. The Normal CornBelters are proud to honor them and their efforts tonight at the Corn Crib. Farming equipment including combines, tractors, and much more will be on display in front of the Crib for our fans to explore, as well.

L-Town Expatriate

Going along that vein (considering how it brought my fellow poster child for Aspergers back onto the board briefly) it's kind of sad to see that such days are necessary. For lack of a factually backed, more specific statement, the Midwest is practically the world's breadbasket. In an age when we're dealing with the effects of 60+ years of suburban sprawl, a growing lack of emphasis in school curricula on agriculture (as well as family & consumer sciences, mass media, and pretty much anything that can't be tested to fulfill unfunded federal mandates) and the growing risk of Earth's population fulfilling Malthus' theories, it is becoming necessary to develop these days for the urbane masses. And to advertise it so exuberantly on circulars stapled (or taped? affixed by spent bubblegum?) in roadside fast food establishments.

Were such an event taking place 4400 miles away (and I was still over there), chances are I'd be watching the nephew climb all over the implements on display. Kids do get a kick out of these.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Lightning. I know it's dangerous and all, but you can't help but notice how cool it looks when it lights up the night sky. Always wanted to get a photo of lightning...

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Elizabeth Platz is one of the top 10 spellers in the nation (and beyond)! She's going to be on the finals of the National Spelling Bee tonight at 7 pm CST on ABC.

She's sponsored by the Columbia Daily Tribune, and her hometown is Shelbina. She won last year's regional as well, and is doing really really awesome. COMO REPRESENT WUT WUT!!!!!!

:)

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Roller Coaster Tycoon the original.

God DAMN this makes me remember the good old days.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Something that doesn't suck is white trash drama. I grew up with a lot of this, and it's always hilarious to see the priorities of some people. The Jerry Springer Show will never die; future generations will be too amused by it to let it die gracefully.

I called a woman near Kent, Ohio last night to talk about a shared house she was listing on Craigslist. So we're talking about it and right away I saw that this was the Ring of the Nibelung, white trash style. ;)

"My ex-husband owns the house--I mean, we're still friends and everything. But I'm making the mortgage payments right now. He makes a lot of money, but he always has an excuse for not making his share of the payments."

Apparently, I'd be sharing the house with a local truck driver. He has this dog and the landlady started waxing eloquent at length about the dog. "He's a good dog. He's part Great Dane, part German Shepherd. He's about ten years old and I don't think he's going to make it to Christmas. He just sits and watches you while you mow the grass or work or whatever."

In addition, it sounds like the truck driver is being sort of negligent as a pet owner. "He leaves about 4:30 in the morning and doesn't come back till 9 or 10 o'clock. I've always got to feed the dog and give him water and everything."

The whole thing was hilarious. :lol: I really like the place, except that it's near an old army ammunition plant that's a Superfund site! :o

octo

Post by octo »

In a different thread:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:The Bee giving people in states N-W a free pass for the sake of TV. At least a (hopefully) future player for South Shelby gave them an earful before winning $4166.67.
It was his 3333rd post. :P

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Ugh, Ring of the Nibelung. Beautiful opera, but not specific enough for a certain tossup that might've cost us a certain game that let us not go to a certain playoffs.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Beautiful opera, but not specific enough for a certain tossup that might've cost us a certain game that let us not go to a certain playoffs.
Because it's not an opera.

L-Town Expatriate

ashkenaziCD wrote:
Beautiful opera, but not specific enough for a certain tossup that might've cost us a certain game that let us not go to a certain playoffs.
Because it's not an opera.
Chuq owning the youngins once again. :lol:

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

What is it then? I was under the impression that it was a set of operas... (then again, music and the like is easily my weakest subject)

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

That was the point I was making. There is no individual opera called The Ring of the Nibelungs.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The AT&T Wi-Fi at Dulles is apparently a "basic" hotspot as I'm able to get access through my U-verse account! My understanding is that I get "basic" hotspots but not "premier" hotspots (when I used the locator yesterday it said all the hotspots here were "premier" and the nearest airport with "basic" was Philadelphia.) Now I have something to do over the next 2 hours!

Another thing that doesn't suck - KCI's Wi-Fi is absolutely free (though it might be slow at times).

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

ashkenaziCD wrote:That was the point I was making. There is no individual opera called The Ring of the Nibelungs.

Yeah, I know. I suppose I was just more pissed at not remembering the actual opera they were asking for (Das Rheingold)

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Stop the presses--I might have a date tomorrow night! :o This definitely does not suck. It's only taken us three weeks for us to find a time to get together. :roll:

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

You are so cool. I wish I was like you.
:lol: Grats

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Something that doesn't suck. When I go to Kent State, I can go ice skating. 8) That always looked like so much fun. :D

http://www.kent.edu/icearena/publicskate.cfm

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

If you're ice skating and you're going slower than 25 miles an hour you're not doin it rite.

L-Town Expatriate

The nice part of this is that Robert Green was goalie for West Ham United this season and allowed 67 goals during their Premier League campaign. They finished one spot away from being relegated with a bankrupt Portsmouth.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Taking a class in which part of the required assignment is to watch clips from Star Trek and write a minimum of 50 words in response.

500 words in a week of writing (at this point). One book per week in reading. And one essay due at the end of 8 weeks.

This is the best summer class ever! :)

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Image

The nice part of this is that Robert Green was goalie for West Ham United this season and allowed 67 goals during their Premier League campaign. They finished one spot away from being relegated with a bankrupt Portsmouth.

This did not suck.

octo

Post by octo »

ZhangC1459 wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:image

This did not suck.
just gonna throw my hat in the ring here

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

It was my profile picture for a few days.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter on opening day.

L-Town Expatriate

octo

Post by octo »

I see there's no love lost for England here.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Sabrina is now a widow on facebook for a day. :lol:

L-Town Expatriate

This: http://www.twitvid.com/K9CVS

Also, not actually following through on a theoretical £5 bet on Slovenia. I lost the moment Jermain Defoe was inserted into the lineup.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Getting $3,000 trade-in for my old Buick and getting a new car. 8) Specifically a 2008 Chevy HHR. :D And getting the dealer to pay sales tax and the first payment on top of all that. :wink:

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

PenforPrez wrote:Getting $3,000 trade-in for my old Buick and getting a new car. 8) Specifically a 2008 Chevy HHR. :D And getting the dealer to pay sales tax and the first payment on top of all that. :wink:
Oh, good. I didn't mess anything up [significantly] when I accidentally slammed the door on the belt buckle (among other things I neglected to tell you) :mrgreen:

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Vuvuzelas.

▂▂▂▃▄▅BBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Even more amusing is the number (and types) of events that have started banning the use of vuvuzelas.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Please do not bring vuvuzelas into the Combine-touching fair.

L-Town Expatriate

dividebyzero wrote:Even more amusing is the number (and types) of events that have started banning the use of vuvuzelas.
Perhaps we should have a quiz bowl tournament where you buzz in by using a vuvuzela? :lol:

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
dividebyzero wrote:Even more amusing is the number (and types) of events that have started banning the use of vuvuzelas.
Perhaps we should have a quiz bowl tournament where you buzz in by using a vuvuzela? :lol:
Dog forbid

L-Town Expatriate

ZhangC1459 wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:
Dog forbid
Considering you and I don't need a vuvuzela to get everyone to hear us. :P

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Mangoes. Mango eating is pretty much a family sport in Pakistan (you'd be surprised at how many different types of mangoes and different ways to eat them there are)

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

You people still in (or going into) college can get a free year of Amazon Prime (free 2 day shipping or $3.99 to upgrade an order to one day shipping; normally $79/year).

Where was this awesomeness when I was at Rolla? :( I actually paid for Amazon Prime the day it was announced back in 2005 (and made most of it back off by getting one-day shipping on the DVD/HDD recorder I ordered immediately after) and for that year it was really nice to not have to buy $25 worth of stuff to get free shipping and also to know exactly what day packages would arrive. I don't have it anymore because it's not worth it for me unless there's something specific I want quickly that will cover most of the cost :P. Maybe they'll allow family sharing on the free year like the regular ones so I can use Katelin's... :D

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:You people still in (or going into) college can get a free year of Amazon Prime (free 2 day shipping or $3.99 to upgrade an order to one day shipping; normally $79/year).
This most definitely does not suck; I had Amazon Prime for a while myself.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Too bad my Mizzou email is eternally screwed up.

octo

Post by octo »

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Milk at the local grocery store = $2.19 a gallon. Yay! :D