Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

things that suck...

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Re: things that suck...

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

The Bee giving people in states N-W a free pass for the sake of TV. At least a (hopefully) future player for South Shelby gave them an earful before winning $4166.67.

L-Town Expatriate

Nebraska leaving the rest of us in the dust for the Big 10. If Indianapolis media's sources are accurate, the Terrapins are going to the new Big 10 instead of Mizzou.

So, who's up for joining the illegitimate birds, the whirlpoolers, the kittens & the KIA-by-Colbert in the Mountain West? :evil:

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Apparently name.com doesn't offer private whois anymore... super lame. Guess who just didn't get 10 domains transferred to them!

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Baseball coaches who can't remain positive to save their life. I called a kid out tonight for an illegal leadoff (there is no stealing in this particular league). He left the bag on the windup, which is against the rules. As soon as I did, his coach came over to me and said (read: angrily almost-screamed) "I don't agree with that, not at all! He deserved a warning; every other time we've had warnings." (Umm...so at some point you stop getting warnings and you get called on it, Coach.)

He was really making me quite mad, but I just had to keep a calm head and say "Coach, I stand by my call. Nowhere am I required to give you a warning, and it was a blatant violation." I think I repeated parts of that a dozen times over the course of the rest of the game, which that team lost 3-0.

Thing that doesn't suck: I know I was right, and I doubt that this particular coach will return to coach for Fulton Parks and Rec again next season. Not a positive role model, at all.

L-Town Expatriate

The eyesight of the man in yellow:

octo

Post by octo »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:The eyesight of the man in yellow:
This, this, a million times this.

Also, I just read the MSHSAA Academic Competition manual. *vomits* I cannot believe we are expected to follow this crap. And just for your amusement:
MSHSAA wrote:The following specific criteria shall be used by the schools and site selection chairperson:
1. Facility/Sight must be located within the boundaries of the State of Missouri, as per
Board policy.
:lol:

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

octo wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:The eyesight of the man in yellow:
This, this, a million times this.

Also, I just read the MSHSAA Academic Competition manual. *vomits* I cannot believe we are expected to follow this crap. And just for your amusement:
MSHSAA wrote:The following specific criteria shall be used by the schools and site selection chairperson:
1. Facility/Sight must be located within the boundaries of the State of Missouri, as per
Board policy.
:lol:
Hahaha nice catch! That manual is great light reading, if you want a cheap laugh.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Me accidentally killing Missouri quizbowl's presence on the web for a couple of minutes.

I enabled a new "site" for some more domains I'm moving over to this server, but didn't create the folder in the right place so when I went to reload the Apache configuration (which is basically instantaneous, so I rarely hesitate to do it) it gave me a warning that the folder didn't exist but then said [OK] to indicate that it worked. After creating the folder in the right place I reloaded configuration again and that's when it just said " * Reloading web server config apache2 " without [OK] or any error message. At that point I checked moquizbowl.com and sure enough it was down. (Of course, this also killed moqba.org and moaca.org at the same time, so shows you how careful I have to be when messing with stuff.) I had to "reload" apache (which terminates and restarts the Apache web server program) to get it to correct. It's really weird that it didn't fail until the second time (when there were no errors!). Not sure what happened, but hope it doesn't happen again!

L-Town Expatriate

And now, Wayne Rooney's relationship with his own fans, because England has only scored one goal in the entire tournament!

Also, not being able to get a free Kit-Kat here because The Sun isn't available in the States. If it were, you probably wouldn't find it with the other newspapers…

(Oh, and there are no Sainsbury's in the US either.)
Last edited by L-Town Expatriate on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

You'd think Green would be getting more boos than Rooney.

And on our side of the pond, that ref... that ref...

if he ever showed his face here... lol

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:Me accidentally killing Missouri quizbowl's presence on the web for a couple of minutes.

I enabled a new "site" for some more domains I'm moving over to this server, but didn't create the folder in the right place so when I went to reload the Apache configuration (which is basically instantaneous, so I rarely hesitate to do it) it gave me a warning that the folder didn't exist but then said [OK] to indicate that it worked. After creating the folder in the right place I reloaded configuration again and that's when it just said " * Reloading web server config apache2 " without [OK] or any error message. At that point I checked moquizbowl.com and sure enough it was down. (Of course, this also killed moqba.org and moaca.org at the same time, so shows you how careful I have to be when messing with stuff.) I had to "reload" apache (which terminates and restarts the Apache web server program) to get it to correct. It's really weird that it didn't fail until the second time (when there were no errors!). Not sure what happened, but hope it doesn't happen again!
Word to the wise: the directory where you're putting logs apparently has to exist. I guess Apache doesn't have permissions to create the directories (at least with the permissions the parent directory has on my server...). "Restarting" the server worked last night because I had disabled the new site that was causing the problem and didn't realize it was disabled until this morning. I found this out this morning, re-enabled it and reloaded configuration and it apparently killed the webserver again! Yay! (Turns out the problem last night was the same thing - not being able to open error logs.) If only it told me that on screen right away instead of dumping it into the error.log file.

Now I should have everything worked out - sorry for any downtime you experienced. Now back to non-technical things that suck.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter on opening day.

L-Town Expatriate

Sudan native turned 7-foot-7 NBA star turned humanitarian from JoCo Manute Bol died today from several health complications. He was only 47.

:( :(

(Also, failure to switch from HTML to BBCode.)

L-Town Expatriate

Finding out ABC's doing live cut-ins of fans gathering at POWER & LIGHT Saturday for the game against Ghana… when I have to work.

Couldn't ask for it off ahead of time because I had no clue if we were even going to make it out of the group, let alone win it for the first time since 1930!

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Moving back in with my parents and struggling for a week with the local ISP to get them newfangled Internets turned on. Naturally, I get my DSL router yesterday and I couldn't get it set up and of course the ISP helpline is closed today. :(

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Kids Week on Jeopardy. Not very entertaining at all.

L-Town Expatriate

dividebyzero wrote:Kids Week on Jeopardy. Not very entertaining at all.
According to CBS' Mark Knoller, none of them could identify a picture of this guy:

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

I'm house-sitting for one of my best friends while he is a camp counselor, and one of his campers is Will Walters, the kid who won on Tuesday (and is, incidentally, from my home town).

L-Town Expatriate

Manchester United.

They couldn't beat a team that only had ten guys on the field, that's only scored 13 goals in the MLS all season.

GO WIZARDS!

L-Town Expatriate

Headline writers at the local weekly:

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Getting hit by three blue shells in the same race (the flying kind). And repeatedly missing item boxes, but that's my fault.
Also, I don't think your image tag worked properly, Kyle. At least not in my browser.

L-Town Expatriate

It's time-coded, stupid TwitPic. I had sent it there first from my phone.
Go here instead to see it: http://twitpic.com/29sq31

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Sadly I had to look at that twice to figure out what was wrong with it.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Yeah, in addition to that headline, that intersection is dumb:
libertytribune.com

As the editorial reminded me, that intersection sucks even more because the intersection with MO-291 is a couple hundred feet away and as a result there are many times where the left turn lane to turn north on 291 is backed up. I can't remember: is the NB light red when the SB light is green (when there is no conflicting traffic)? I seem to remember that being the case -- if so I'm sure it's to keep the short segment before MO-291 from being backed up. If not, then am I thinking of the NB left turn previously not being protected but now it is? Or am I just making things up?

(And yeah, that's where I almost always leave that shopping center)

L-Town Expatriate

It could use a roundabout, but then The Dish would wind up losing half their kitchen.

Ehh, the city could just plow over the vacant bank building, return Liberty Drive (formerly Highway 10) to its original alignment, and that might straightening things out a wee bit. But that's what people with money to burn & absolute disregard for infrastructure would do.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

http://tinyurl.com/23wjxms

This freak accident on I-44 killed a former Mizzou football player (and son of a candidate for state rep.) and a band member from St. James today. If there's two things close to my heart, it's Mizzou and band, so this really hits close to home. My thoughts are with the families of both who were killed.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Talking to a cute girl at my department orientation last night and not getting her number. :( :oops:

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

A Tea Party candidate running for county council in Erie, Pennsylvania is openly calling for the closing of the entire country library system.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... /310249966

As a future librarian, may I say bugger off! to said gentleman. :P

L-Town Expatriate

PenforPrez wrote:A Tea Party candidate running for county council in Erie, Pennsylvania is openly calling for the closing of the entire country library system.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... /310249966

As a future librarian, may I say bugger off! to said gentleman. :P
Wow, that's really dumb. Is he bankrolled by Barnes & Noble as to force people to visit their stores?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

PenforPrez wrote:A Tea Party candidate said something moronic
Should we really be surprised by such things at this point?

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

This horrifying dream I had the other night where I was a gas station attendant during a nuclear attack. :o :(

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Not quite sure what everyone was talking about way back when: both Death and Cthulhu got owned by this dragon I was trying to get past...

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

dividebyzero wrote:Not quite sure what everyone was talking about way back when: both Death and Cthulhu got owned by this dragon I was trying to get past...
Did you try flaming Jesus?

Oh wait, you don't have Scribble2.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

I have a list today.

The girl I was hanging out with telling me she can't handle being friends because our hanging out felt like dates to her. :(

Getting behind just in time for midterms. Bleh.

Carl Paladino. 'Nuff said.

Eating too much bad food and gaining 20 pounds. Wonderful tasty food. :wink:

Gas at $2.95 a gallon in Pennsylvania today.

My dad needing to have a pacemaker installed.

That is all.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Having company over when the person won't stop bragging about how amazing their daughter is.

L-Town Expatriate

People working eight hours a day, forty hours a week.

Women not able to afford to feed their kids breakfast, lunch and dinner.

People being laid off as we speak. They can't eat breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Not being able to hear some kid's stomach growling.

And at the end of the day, our children will have nowhere to live.

Nowhere, there's nowhere to go. Why?

That guy hasn't paid rent in over 20 years. Just bartered an agreement with the landlord in exchange for being the repairman.
Last edited by L-Town Expatriate on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Thanks KCP&L for (apparently) not sending me an email notification of my bill... Gmail shouldn't have filtered it as it's specifically supposed to star my bill notifications. I guess the hillonline forwarding might have screwed up or something. At least it's not due for another 2 weeks.

Speaking of things that suck, their online account management system is terribly slow sometimes.

L-Town Expatriate

The Jayhawks. To the point where Jack Harry suggested KU can their football program.

WilliamofOrange

Post by WilliamofOrange »

Getting all dressed up for an awards ceremony and them forgetting to recognize you. Good ol' Rockwood school district, haha.

octo

Post by octo »

Apparently we got an invitation to the NAC for getting 4th at MFAT. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

L-Town Expatriate

Todd Haley's ability to handle a loss.

Also, his ability to hold a press conference. He speaks just like the small-town high school coaches I interviewed for weekly coaches shows back in Arkansas.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

dividebyzero wrote:Having company over when the person won't stop bragging about how amazing their daughter is.

that's what us Asians do, except we brag about how amazing THE OTHER PERSON'S DAUGHTER is. (or son)

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

octo wrote:Apparently we got an invitation to the NAC for getting 4th at MFAT. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Neither. Just burn it. ;)

L-Town Expatriate

PenforPrez wrote:
octo wrote:Apparently we got an invitation to the NAC for getting 4th at MFAT. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Neither. Just burn it. ;)
Better yet, take every invite Chip sends to every team from Missouri, papier-mache them into an effigy of him, and burn it next Bonfire Night. Only 352 days away!

L-Town Expatriate

Sarah Palin's political jaunt into reality TV being upstaged by AN ACTUAL POLITICAN.

Namely, the former Maidstone MP and outspoken Tory minister Ann Widdecombe, who despite annoying a bunch of viewers of BBC's Strictly Come Dancing seems to keep surviving to the next week.

This week, she's Dorothy Gale from Kansas.

L-Town Expatriate

Soccer in Qatar.

They're only ranked 16th in Asia, yet somehow FIFA thinks they'll make more money hosting games in the desert than they will hosting them at Arrowhead.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

I don't know, it could actually be kinda cool. And there is some merit to the whole idea of promotion of soccer in the Middle East. Just a thought, I'll most likely just watch it on TV wherever it is anyways.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Soccer sucks to watch, so who cares?

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

I would tend to think there are a lot of people who would disagree with you on that point, but you're entitled to your own opinion too.

L-Town Expatriate

dividebyzero wrote:I don't know, it could actually be kinda cool. And there is some merit to the whole idea of promotion of soccer in the Middle East. Just a thought, I'll most likely just watch it on TV wherever it is anyways.
They do have a noble idea of building temporary stadia, then tearing them down and using that metal to build new stadia in developing nations. Granted, once 2022 is gone and FIFA have moved on to their next oil-laden money trough host nation, what's to keep Qatar accountable to their plan? Last week proved that whistle-blowing only serves to get your nation smacked down (*cough*Sunday*Times*cough*BBC*Panorama*cough*).