Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Washington JV Tournament - Feb. 26, 2022

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
dwd50

Washington JV Tournament - Feb. 26, 2022

Post by dwd50 »

Coaches,

I am happy to announce the first-ever Washington Invitational for Novice Questioners, (WINQ), a JV (Grades 9 & 10)-only event, on February 26th, 2022.

It will be held at Washington High School, at 600 Blue Jay Drive, Washington, MO, 63090.

The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format. We will be using “Powers,” or 15 points for an early correct answer, but we will NOT be using “Negs” or “Interrupts” (-5 for early incorrect answers) In the interest of keeping the day running quickly, we will not be using bouncebacks on bonuses. We are restricting team rosters to 6 players. If you have more players, feel free to sign them up for a second team.

For this tournament, we will be using NAQT’s IS-211A question set. This set is being used at DeSoto and Houston on the same weekend. Teams may not play the same set at different events.

We are currently capping the field at 18 teams, but can expand provided I can find the staff.

Prices are:
- $60 for the first team from a school, $55 for each additional team. (B,C, D, etc.)
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 per team)
- Providing an experienced scorekeeper is a $5 discount. We reserve the right to refuse scorekeepers.
- Providing an experienced moderator is a $10 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.

Registration will begin at 8:30, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There are several options for lunch in town. Most teams should be done by 5 PM.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register. You are not registered until you receive a confirmation email from the tournament director. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate, so again, please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible. We reserve the right to turn down moderators.

Teams placing 1st and 2nd will receive a trophy. There are prizes for the top 10 individual scorers.

Our school’s address is 600 Blue Jay Drive, Washington, MO 63090.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100/47 intersection, and then take a left to the high school at the 2nd stoplight. At the 3rd light,
turn left. If you can’t see the football field, you haven’t gone far enough.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the high school at the 5th stoplight.
If you pass the football field, you’ve gone too far.

If you have any other questions, my email is david.dennis@sdowmo.org, and my phone is 314-239-2640.

dwd50

Re: Washington JV Tournament - Feb. 26, 2022

Post by dwd50 »

Based on staffing commitments from coaches, I'm OK with expanding to 28 teams for this.

Field (24/24)
Eldon
Moberly
New Haven A
New Haven B
Hallsville
Brentwood
Eureka
Winfield
Jefferson City
Holt A
Holt B
Union A
Union B
SLUH
Waynesville
Hermann A
Hermann B
Washington A
Washington B
CIS
North Point
Christian
Sullivan A
Sullivan B
Last edited by dwd50 on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

There's still one place left!

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

I'll post the full write-up later, but the playoffs came down to 3 teams in the superplayoffs finishing at 2-1.

Washington then beat Hallsville in round 11 for the right to play CIS in round 12. Washington then won that game 280-195 to win the tournament!

Stats can be found here.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

The top 4 started with Hallsville and CIS at 1-0, Washington and Jeff City at 0-1. Washington beat CIS in round 9 by converting the last 4 tossups. Washington beat Jeff City and CIS beat Hallsville (who'd earlier beaten Washington) in round 10, both with a 10 and 30 on the very last tossup, to set up a 3-way tie at 2-1. Jeff City placed 4th.

Based on point total in the superplayoff bracket, Washington and Hallsville played round 11 for the right to face CIS in round 12. Washington managed to put it away after converting tossup 20, winning 265-210. Hallsville, thus, finished 3rd. ​

In Round 12, Washington held off a late charge, and put it away on tossup 19, winning 280-195 over 2nd place CIS.

A huge thank you to all our staffers: Sean Phillips, Kathy Brandon, Grace Nuckolls, Brett Saunier, Ollie Bade, Jacob O'Rourke, Jared Pruessner, Austin Gober, Jackie Cleveland, Connor Lee, Jason Loy, Kevin Stockman, Michael McDonald, Terese Corley, Lisa McClary, Jon Deering, Scott Allen, Robin Griggs, and our two Control Room workers Samantha Doepker and Kyle Meyer.