Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Washington University Fall Academic Tournament VI (Nov. 13, 2021)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
bolshevik

Washington University Fall Academic Tournament VI (Nov. 13, 2021)

Post by bolshevik »

Hello everyone,

I, Em Powers, my co-director, Aryaman Jaiswal, and the Washington University Quizbowl Team are pleased to announce that Washington University in St. Louis will be hosting a fall invitational tournament on November 13, 2021. We will be using the RAFT III set, information about which can be found here.

This tournament will be seeking to be a qualifier for the 2022 PACE NSC.

Fees and registration:
Base Fee: $70 per first team from a school, $60 per each subsequent team from a school.
Staffer Discount: $15 per staffer.
Working Buzzer Discount: $5 per buzzer (your system must allow for 8 people to play at any one time for us to use it for the discount).
Minimum fee: $50.

Our preferred method of payment is a check made out to “Washington University Quiz Bowl.” We’ll also accept cash on the day of the tournament as well.

To register, simply email washuqb@gmail.com and tell us how many teams, buzzers and staffers your school will be bringing, along with (at some point before the tournament) a day-of contact number.

Field
Due to COVID concerns as well as other logistical limitations, this tournament’s field will be initially capped at 24 teams. Field expansion is unlikely but may change in the future and we will, of course, have a waitlist.

Further along the lines of COVID concerns, I am sad to announce that as of now we will not be allowing out of state teams to participate in this year's WUFAT. However, if you are an out-of-state team interested in this tournament, please still register! We may change this policy in the near future.

We are allowing for direct entry for the first two teams from a school. A school’s first two teams will have priority on the waitlist, ahead of any further (C and so on) teams from a school. Any further teams (example: C or D teams) will be placed on a separate waitlist and allowed into the field 10 days before the tournament date, pending available space in the field (so you will know by November 3rd).

We will be limiting a team’s roster to a maximum of 6 players; schools are encouraged to bring junior varsity or “B” or “C” teams to compete. Rosters will be submitted in advance, but won’t be finalized until during check-in the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.

Important COVID update
PLEASE NOTE: While we are very excited to be hosting a high quality quizbowl tournament in person for the first time in quite a while, with great quizbowl comes great responsibility. In line with WUSTL COVID policy, ALL participants who will be present on WUSTL premises (including players, chaperones, coaches and parents) MUST complete a WUSTL visitor self-screening the day of the tournament to be admitted. We will send out the self-screening link in a later email. We will ask to see your screening result the day of. This goes without saying, but please, do not come to the tournament if you are not feeling well. We fully trust all of you will make the best decisions for yourselves as well as others.

I look forward to seeing everybody on November 13th!
Last edited by bolshevik on Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bolshevik

Re: Washington University Fall Academic Tournament VII (Nov. 13, 2021)

Post by bolshevik »

Field

College Heights Christian A
College Heights Christian B
Ladue A
Ladue B
Ladue C
Ladue D
Clayton A
Clayton B
Parkway Central
STL Patriots
Parkway West A
Parkway West B
Parkway West C
Glasgow (KY)
CBC A
CBC B
Last edited by bolshevik on Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.

bolshevik

Re: Washington University Fall Academic Tournament VI (Nov. 13, 2021)

Post by bolshevik »

UPDATE: As per the waitlist policy stated in the original post, as the tournament is fewer than 10 days away and the field is not full, any teams subsequent to the B team from a school will no longer be waitlisted.

bolshevik

Post by bolshevik »

UPDATE: As the tournament is now two days away and we are at a good number of teams, registration is closed.

bolshevik

Post by bolshevik »

Congratulations to College Heights Christian A, who defeated Clayton A in the first round of an advantaged final 510-155. Parkway West finished third. Stats can be found here.

A huge thank you is owed to all who staffed this weekend. I'd also like to give a special thank you to my co-director Aryaman Jaiswal for his great work on the back-end of the tournament's organization, as well as Jacob O'Rourke for granting me this opportunity in the first place, and Charles Hang for all of his sage guidance. All of you made a really memorable day of quizbowl possible for the kids who played, and I'm looking forward to working with you all again in the future.