Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Finally! An Announcement For 2020-21!

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Finally! An Announcement For 2020-21!

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Greetings all,

It has been almost six months since many Missouri teams were able to take part in meaningful competition. Even with the uncertainty of Covid-19 and the world in general, contests are in the planning stages. By now, I would have posted a series of date claims for tournaments in several parts of the state. However, several of these events are still coming together, so consider this the thread where I'll post date claims as they become known.

At present, events I organize this fall will all be virtual. Because of the inherent nature of virtual contests, specifically the reduction of travel constraints, not every event will have a thread announcing it. This will be primarily to maintain the regional feel of previous events that have had to go digital. Coaches will need to keep an eye on their mailboxes for invites to these contests.

Tangentially, in the coming days coaches around the state will have the opportunity to respond to a survey concerning virtual contests, specifically identifying platforms their schools are allowed to use. While Discord has become popular for use in virtual contests and has a good degree of versatility, several schools in the state are blocking its use, citing policies on social media and/or student privacy. Short of a top-down mandate from MSHSAA and/or DESE, alternate platforms are being considered.

Finally, student safety and contest integrity has also come front-and-center over the past several months. To that effect, events that I help organize will require all participants—players, coaches, and staffers—to abide by PACE's Honor Pledge and Section I (Ethics and Conduct). These may be supplemented or superseded should similar codes be adopted at the state level. Participants will be encouraged to follow the Golden Rule and report significant instances of misconduct that jeopardize student safety and/or contest integrity. Reports may be made directly to tournament officials and/or the Quizbowl Misconduct Form maintained by PACE, NAQT, ACF and IAC.

As our school year and this critical chapter of human history continue to unfold, I am hopeful that we can maintain some degree of normality with our events, all while maintaining good sportsmanship and civility. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out.
Last edited by L-Town Expatriate on Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Re: Finally! An Announcement For 2020-21!

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Confirmed Tournament Dates
College Heights Fall Novice Tournament - November 9th-13th (multi-night; HS novice) (set: ERIS)
Kickapoo Classic - December 5th (high school) (set: NAQT IS-199)
Palmyra Academic Winter Showdown (PAWS) - February 6th (high school) (set: NAQT IS-198A)
Moberly Young Scholars Tournament (MYST) - February 13th (middle school) (set: NAQT MS-35)
Springfield Central Bulldog Showdown - February 20th (high school) (set: Scottie)
Bulldog Regional Interscholastic Challenge - March 13th (high school) (set NAQT IS-197)
Outstate Missouri Academic Rendezvous (OMAR) - April 10th (high school) (set: NAQT IS-195)

All events will be virtual.