Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Washington High Invitational Tournament (WHIT V)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
dwd50

Washington High Invitational Tournament (WHIT V)

Post by dwd50 »

Coaches,

I am happy to announce the 5th Annual Washington High School Invitational Tournament (WHIT V) on December 7th, 2019.

It will be held at Washington High School, at 600 Blue Jay Drive, Washington, MO, 63090.

The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format. We will be using “Powers,” or 15 points for an early correct answer, but we will NOT be using “Negs” or “Interrupts” (-5 for early incorrect answers) In the interest of keeping the day running quickly, we will not be using bouncebacks on bonuses. We are restricting team rosters to 6 players. If you have more players, feel free to sign them up for a second team.

There’s more info and the link below, but the registration link is also here.

This year we will be using the LOGIC set, written by members of the Miami Valley (OH), and University High (IL) teams. My assistant coach, Jacob O’Rourke, is the head editor of the set, as he has been for the past three years that we’ve used the WHAQ sets. More details about the set and question distribution can be found here.

This is the same set that is scheduled for Sparta, MO on Oct. 26. If you attend their event, you will not be able to attend our tournament.

We are currently capping the field at 48 teams. The field filled up within a few days last year, so be sure to register as soon as you can!

Prices are:
- $70 for the first team from a school, $65 for each additional team. (B,C, D, etc.)
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 per team)
- Providing an experienced scorekeeper is a $5 discount. We reserve the right to refuse scorekeepers.
- Providing an experienced moderator is a $10 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.

Registration will begin at 8:30, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There will be a concession stand open during the day. There are several options for lunch in town. All but the top few teams should be done by 4 PM.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me,please use the form to register. You are not registered until you receive a confirmation email from the tournament director. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate, so again, please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible. We reserve the right to turn down moderators.

Teams placing 1st-4th will receive a trophy. There are prizes for the top 10 individual scorers.

Again, here is the form:

Our school’s address is 600 Blue Jay Drive, Washington, MO 63090.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100/47 intersection, and then take a left at the high school at the 3rd light. If you can’t see the football field, you haven’t gone far enough.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the high school at the 5th stoplight. If you pass the football field, you’ve gone too far.
Last edited by dwd50 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwd50

Re: Washington High Invitational Tournament (WHIT V)

Post by dwd50 »

Field (45/48)
Bolded teams have confirmed attendance by sending in rosters
Glasgow (KY) A
Glasgow (KY) B
Glasgow (KY) C
New Haven A
New Haven B
Sullivan A
Sullivan B
Sullivan C
Sullivan D
Sullivan E

Montgomery Co.
Hallsville A
Hallsville B
Hallsville C

Mexico A
Mexico B

Houston A
Houston B

Palmyra
Oakville A
Oakville B
Parkway South A
Parkway South B
Fatima

Hermann
Fort Osage A
Fort Osage B
Fort Osage C
Fort Osage D

Rolla
Warrenton
Webster Groves
Moberly
Calvary Lutheran A
Calvary Lutheran B

Hannibal
Wellsville-Middletown
Parkway North
STL Patriots
Ladue A
Ladue B
Ft. Zumwalt North A
Ft. Zumwalt North B

Farmington
Eureka

Waitlist

Buzzers
New Haven
Sullivan (2)
Hallsville
Mexico
Houston (2)
Oakville
Parkway South
Fatima
Hermann
Fort Osage (2)
Rolla
Moberly
Calvary Lutheran
Jackson
Louisiana (2)
STL Patriots (2)
Ladue
Ft. Zumwalt North
Farmington
Eureka

Staff
Glasgow
Sullivan
Hallsville
Oakville
Hermann
Fort Osage
Rolla
Webster Groves
Calvary Lutheran
Wellsville-Middletown
Ladue
STL Patriots
Eureka
Last edited by dwd50 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 30 times in total.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

We've hit the initial cap of 48. Once I've got staff numbers solidified on my end, I'll see if an expansion is a possibility.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

STL Patriots won the title over Ladue A in the 2nd game of the final. Glasgow A narrowly beat Hallsville A for 3rd.

In the 5th Place game, Calvary Lutheran defeated Ladue B; and in the 7th Place Game, Glasgow B defeated Houston A

We applied for PACE Certification a while back, and I haven't heard back yet, but the top 20% of the field means that the above teams and Rolla and Webster Groves should be recieving bis to the PACE NSC in Chicago in June.

Stats can be found here

Special thanks to:

Unaffiliated staffers: Matt Chadbourne, Sean Phillips, Kevin Stockman, Sara Young
WHS Coaches: Jacob O'Rourke, Angel Young (and Phil Young, who helped in the Control Room)
WHS Parent staff/help: Pete Bush, Marty Derner, Molly Derner, Joel Doepker, Lynda Doepker, Jon Miller
Coaches who read for matches: Scott Allen, Emily Brasher, Julie Burchett, Jon Deering, Jen Farra, Brad Kelley, Jonah Kreuger, Ginger Leutkemeyer, Jason Loy, Josh Malecki, Michael McDonald, and Tyler Reid,
WHS Students who staffed: Audrey Bush, Silas Clements, Samantha Doepker, Rachel Derner, Max Grimes, Austin Gober, Gavin Mehrhoff (who I saddled with entering 208 scoresheets into the stats), Kyle Meyer, Katlynn Miller, Adric Montgomery, Grady Nuckolls, Cameron Schenkel, Owen Spreckelmeyer, Owen Straatmann, Eli Uffman,
WMS Students who staffed: Addison Imhof, Avery Imhof, Zach Gargrave, Carter Hall, Alina Hayden, Victor Hoang, Hayden Ley, Brian Martin, Madison May Ada Montgomery, Jacob Moore, Will Schenk, Karolyn Sowrheaver​