Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Clever Invitational- Nov 16

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Reklaw

Clever Invitational- Nov 16

Post by Reklaw »

Clever HS will be hosting its 5th annual Clever High School Invitational Scholar Bowl tournament on November 16, 2019. The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format, with bounce backs on bonuses. We will be introducing Powers at this year’s tournament to reward players who buzz earlier. We will NOT be penalizing students for incorrect answers (negs).

We will use question set IS-186 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). This set is (at the time of posting) being used by Hallsville on 8/26. Please double check no other tournament you attend is using this set before entering. You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

We are currently capping the field at 18 teams. The field can expand if there is more interest and more importantly staff. Last year there was interest, but staffing was what kept us from expanding.

Prices are:

- $70 for the first team from a school, $65 for each additional team. ($5 increase from last year)
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 discounts per team). Preference given to those whose systems require the moderator to reset buzzers.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators .
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.
-$50 minimum per team.

Matches will begin at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12:00-12:30 PM. Lunch options are mostly in neighboring towns (10 minute drive at least). Our Speech & Debate team is handling concessions this year and will likely continue the grilling of Hamburgers and Chicken sandwiches that has happened in the past. I will get concession pricing together soon. I don't plan on the tournament going any later than 5:00 PM (Last year we finished at 3:45).

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register. In an effort to get as many schools involved as we can, teams will be allowed 2 entries with all additional teams being put on the waiting list. “C” teams will be added to the lineup at 2 weeks before the event.

http://bit.ly/Clever2019

Please understand that, until I confirm with you via email, your team(s) are not registered. I will create a waiting list if this tournament fills up. Those who can provide experienced staffers are likely to gain priority over those just bringing teams on the waiting list.

I plan on awarding trophy/plaques to the top 2 teams, and individual medals for the top 10 scorers of the morning sessions. Currently, this is scheduled at the High School off of Mo-14. Feel free to email me with any questions at walkers@cleverbluejays.org.

On a side note, if you are hosting a tournament we would gladly like information as we are looking to fill our season as well.

Reklaw

Re: Clever Invitational- Nov 16

Post by Reklaw »

TEAMS (24/24)
Blue Eye (1)
Fair Grove (2)
Galena (1)
Glendale (3)
Houston (2)
Jasper (1)
Kickapoo (3)
Mountain Grove (2)
Parkview (1)
Richland (2)
Southwest (1)
Sparta (1)
Spokane (1)
Strafford (1)
Thayer (2)

Bolded Teams have sent rosters and confirmed attendance

MODERATORS
Houston (2)
Southwest
Glendale
Kickapoo
Mountain Grove
Richland
Strafford
Last edited by Reklaw on Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:11 am, edited 11 times in total.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Expansion made to 24. I am in progress of updating the above list as teams confirm/drop. Hopeful to expand to 30 if staffing allows.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Final (hopefully) updated list of schools attending is above. Good Luck to all attending Saturday!

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

after 5 rounds finished by 12:15, Kickapoo Brown, Sparta, Thayer Green, Houston Red, Kickapoo Gold, Houston Black, Fair Grove Purple, and Glendale White move on to the championship Brackets. Games restarted at 1:10, so I expect a pre-4PM finish for most games.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Thayer Green take's 1st and Kickapoo Gold takes 2nd.

Kickapoo Brown took 3rd over Houston Black. Full stats will be up when I get some sanity (possibly Monday).

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Thanks to everyone who helped make this last weekend a huge success! I hope everyone enjoyed the day and your teams learned a lot about the area competition and their own abilities. 

Thayer Green finished the day 9-0 and took first place with Kickapoo Gold pulling out 2nd finishing 8-1. Kickapoo Brown pulled out 3rd passing Houston Black in the 3rd place game. 

Full statistics for the day can be found by clicking HERE

I'd like to give a special thank you to Haley Adams, Randy Massey, Quinn McGarry, Blaise Fields, Ian McGaughey, Eldon Haun, Brett Kelly, Jason Pounds, Bob Lynch, Dylan Morris, Jeff Davis, Jennifer Thornton, and Michael Walker for reading. Thanks to the entire Clever HS Academic Team army who score kept all day as well as the 2 Houston students who graciously spent the day scorekeeping as well. Finally, a very big thanks to Erin Scheibe and the Clever HS Speech Team for running the concession stand and to my In-Laws for cooking all the food. 

I think this wraps up another successful Clever Invitational. See you all Next year!