Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2015 Clever Invitational

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Reklaw

2015 Clever Invitational

Post by Reklaw »

Coaches,

After feedback from other schools, Clever High School will be hosting an academic tournament on November 7th, 2015. This is later than originally thought, but many schools mentioned conflicts with Band and other programs in October. We would like to make this an annual tournament if this is successful.

The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format, with bouncebacks on bonuses. At this time, we will NOT be using “Powers”, “Negs” or “Interrupts”.

We will use question set IS-148 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). This is currently being used by Hallsville and Smithville as well. You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

We are currently capping the field at 16 teams. The field can expand if there is more interest and staff.

Prices are:
- $65 for the first team from a school, $60 for each additional team.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 per team)
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. (limit 1 discount per school)Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.

Matches will begin at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12:00-12:30 PM. Lunch options are mostly in neighboring towns (10 minute drive at most). I will make sure to leave enough time for each team to find food before beginning again in the afternoon. I see no reason any team would be here later than 5:00PM.

I will have information on food options and a possible concession stand in the next week or two since food is a little bit of a drive. There will be a hospitality room provided for all coaches, bus drivers, staff, and other usual hospitality room users.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register.

https://goo.gl/ZXYp6C

Please understand that, until I confirm with you via email, your team(s) are not registered. I will create a waiting list if this tournament fills up.

I plan on awarding trophy/plaques to the top 3 teams, and individual medals for the top 10 scorers of the morning sessions. Currently, this is scheduled at the High School off of Mo-14. Feel free to email me with any questions at walkers@clever.k12.mo.us

On a side note, if you are hosting a tournament we would gladly like information as we are looking to fill our season as well.

Reklaw

Re: 2015 Clever Invitational

Post by Reklaw »

Last updated 9/16/15
Current Field (12 of 16)

Clever
Southwest
Fordland
Walnut Grove
Aurora
Marionville
Strafford
Sarcoxie-2
Sparta
Kickapoo-2

Buzzers
Clever -2
Walnut Grove-1
Fordland-1
Southwest-1
Aurora-1
Marionville-1
Strafford-1
Sarcoxie-1
Sparta-1

Moderators

Clever- 4
Southwest-1
Fordland-1
Sarcoxie-1
Last edited by Reklaw on Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

I just received word today that we qualify for PACE Gold Certification. This means that the top 20% of teams in this tournament (currently 2, but could be up to 4 teams) will qualify for the national high school quizbowl championship, the PACE NSC on the weekend of June 4th-5th at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare outside of Chicago.

I was concerned about tournament attendance as I had 5 teams for the longest time, but as 4 more teams have signed up in the last 5 days, I think I can now at least break even, so I WILL be having the tournament (I know I mentioned to a few that numbers in attendance was a concern).

Thanks,

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Whew! What a day! I know I learned a lot and I wasn't even in the rooms with questions.

Clever 1st
Kickapoo A 2nd
Aurora 3rd.

Stats here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/

Too tired to commentate further...

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

In terms of nationals bids, I believe Clever and Kickapoo A qualified for HSNCT, and the PACE NSC qualifiers were Clever, Kickapoo A and Aurora.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:In terms of nationals bids, I believe Clever and Kickapoo A qualified for HSNCT, and the PACE NSC qualifiers were Clever, Kickapoo A and Aurora.
Correct on the above...I think

In terms of SSNCT, I believe Kickapoo was the only not-small school in attendance. I *think* (and correct me if I'm misreading qualifications) this qualifies Clever, Aurora, and Fordland? (12 total teams, 10 from small schools, and top 3 small schools?)

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Reklaw wrote:
Mickey0R0urke wrote:In terms of nationals bids, I believe Clever and Kickapoo A qualified for HSNCT, and the PACE NSC qualifiers were Clever, Kickapoo A and Aurora.
Correct on the above...I think

In terms of SSNCT, I believe Kickapoo was the only not-small school in attendance. I *think* (and correct me if I'm misreading qualifications) this qualifies Clever, Aurora, and Fordland? (12 total teams, 10 from small schools, and top 3 small schools?)
They should show up on the NAQT site here.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Ah, yeah just Clever for Small School, and Kickapoo and Clever for HSNCT. Math was never my strong subject...

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Reklaw wrote:Ah, yeah just Clever for Small School, and Kickapoo and Clever for HSNCT. Math was never my strong subject...
If I'm reading that link correctly, no, you were right the first time and those three do get SSNCT bids while Clever and Kickapoo get HSNCT as well.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

scphilli wrote:
Reklaw wrote:Ah, yeah just Clever for Small School, and Kickapoo and Clever for HSNCT. Math was never my strong subject...
If I'm reading that link correctly, no, you were right the first time and those three do get SSNCT bids while Clever and Kickapoo get HSNCT as well.
You had it right the first time. I think NAQT was just researching the attendance of those schools before awarding them bids to Small School Nationals.