Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2011 NAQT Missouri Qualifier (3/5/2011 at Mizzou)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

2011 NAQT Missouri Qualifier (3/5/2011 at Mizzou)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance would like to invite you to the fourth annual NAQT Missouri Qualifier, to be held on the campus of the University of Missouri in Columbia on March 5, 2011.

The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance is an organization dedicated to providing high-quality quizbowl tournaments to all Missouri teams. Visit http://www.moqba.org for more information. As MOQBA's flagship event, this tournament regularly features a diverse field of teams from throughout Missouri, creating a championship atmosphere and recognizing the state's top teams for national tournament qualification. Matt Chadbourne and Jeffrey Hill will serve as tournament directors of this official NAQT event, which will use untimed NAQT rules. The top fifteen percent of the field will automatically qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament (HSNCT), to be held in Atlanta, Georgia on May 27-29, 2011, and high-finishing teams will also qualify for the PACE National Scholastics Championship, which will be held at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois on June 4-5, 2011. In addition, the champion of this tournament is guaranteed a spot in the 2011 HSNCT, and the top team that had not qualified at a previously-held tournament will also receive a bid to HSNCT. MOQBA strongly encourages all teams to attend this tournament even if they do not intend to attend the HSNCT, in order to provide teams with a true representation of Missouri quizbowl.

Format:
This tournament will be run in the twenty tossup/bonus format on NAQT IS-104. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each followed by non-rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. Tossups will feature "powers" (additional points awarded for correct buzzes very early in the question) and "negs" (five point deductions for incorrect answers before the question is finished).

The field is currently limited to the first 30 teams to register, though we will make every effort to include all interested teams. There will not be a separate junior varsity division, but schools are welcome to register multiple teams.

The tournament will feature a bracketed round robin and playoff, the exact specifications of which will be determined by the final field size. The field will not be divided into small and large school divisions, but the top-finishing small-school team (as well as the top four teams overall) will receive trophies, and an all-tournament team will be recognized.

Pricing:
Base fee for first team: $55
Base fee for second and subsequent teams: $50
Staffer discount: $10 discount for each competent moderator or scorekeeper your school brings
Buzzer discount: $5 discount for each working buzzer system your school brings
Travel discount: $10 discount for every 100 miles your school traveled to the tournament (one-way, as determined by Google Maps)
Early registration discount: $5 discount if your registration is received before February 5, 2011
The minimum entry fee is $25 per team.

Formalities:
Please email me, Jeffrey Hill (jeffrey AT hillonline DOT net), to sign up for the tournament, and include the number of teams, buzzers, moderators, and scorekeepers you will be bringing. Registration on the morning of the tournament will begin at 8:00. Since the format we will be using may be unfamiliar to some teams, we will have a short team meeting at 8:45 to review the rules. The first round of tournament play will begin at 9:00.

After the completion of the tournament, each team in attendance will receive a copy of the questions used.

Updated tournament information, including a list of registered teams, can be found on the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board (http://www.moquizbowl.com) and will be updated regularly. Our tournaments traditionally fill extremely quickly, therefore it is highly advisable to reserve your spot early, and you are more than welcome to reserve your spot in the tournament before the payment process has been completed.

We hope to see you and your team in Columbia in March and wish you the best of luck as you compete this season. As always, if you have any questions about the tournament, don’t hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Hill
2011 NAQT Missouri Qualifier Co-Director and Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president

octo

Re: 2011 NAQT Missouri Qualifier (3/5/2011 at Mizzou)

Post by octo »

Going to this for sure.

WilliamofOrange

Post by WilliamofOrange »

Mimicking Sam's response; Eureka's coming.

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

We are planning on it.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

We'll be there

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I'm definitely moderating at this.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Current field (21 teams total) (Last updated 3/1/2011 @ 18:15)
6 schools in italics are eligible for the small school title

Centralia
De Smet (2)
Eureka (2)
Glasgow
Helias (2)
Hickman
Jefferson City
Lutheran (St. Charles County)
North Shelby
Oakville
Pilot Grove
Rock Bridge (2)
Savannah (2)
South Pemiscot
Tuscumbia
Villa Duchesne
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Reason: add Eureka B team

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Field has been updated. Still plenty of spots left.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Several field updates in the last week. Plenty of spots left. Register by Feb 5 for the early registration discount.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

This tournament is now officially MSHSAA sanctioned.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Jeff-

Who do we make entry fee out to?

Also, Oakville will only be bringing one team to this tournament. My assistant coach will be coaching since I have a wedding to attend.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

OakvilleHSCoach wrote:Who do we make entry fee out to?
Entry fees should be made out to Missouri Quizbowl Alliance. If you need an address as well, please email me and I will provide it.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

Hey so my coach can't go and I'm having difficulties finding a willing teacher to take us. Also, I don't think many people on my team can make this tournament anyway. I was wondering if there were any way I could play solo or something? Or just play on a team for my school without a teacher present?

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

logic2718 wrote:Hey so my coach can't go and I'm having difficulties finding a willing teacher to take us. Also, I don't think many people on my team can make this tournament anyway. I was wondering if there were any way I could play solo or something? Or just play on a team for my school without a teacher present?
Sorry, MSHSAA bylaws require a faculty member to supervise your team.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

To add on to what Jeff said: unfortunately it is playing without a faculty supervisor that would be the problem. Playing solo is fine.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

DeckardCain wrote:To add on to what Jeff said: unfortunately it is playing without a faculty supervisor that would be the problem. Playing solo is fine.
How's that legal under MSHSAA by-laws?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

The MSHSAA rule requiring four to a team only applies at districts, sectionals and state. Shorthanded teams play at regular season events all the time.

OakvilleHSCoach

How do they define "faculty"? Could you get a willing substitute teacher who is employed in the district?

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

DeckardCain wrote:To add on to what Jeff said: unfortunately it is playing without a faculty supervisor that would be the problem. Playing solo is fine.
Makes me glad I'm in Ohio. B teams and C teams play without coaches pretty much all the time. In fact, a lot of A teams here don't have coaches with them cause the coaches get stripped to read. Unless that would count under da MSHSAA roolz.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Paul, B teams don't need constant supervision here. The problem is having a school attend without supervision.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Paul, B teams don't need constant supervision here. The problem is having a school attend without supervision.
That's what I thought but I couldn't remember. I'm tired today. :(

OakvilleHSCoach

So, when a coach is pulled to moderate, does that mean that their team is unsupervised?

FYI- for the March 5 tournament at Mizzou, I am sending my assistant coach, who is a substitute in the district, to coach for the day. Is this against MSHSAA rules?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

No. The only thing that is a problem is if there is no appropriate supervisor somewhere on the premises. Eureka has a long tradition of their coach sitting in the hallway all day doing nothing while their teams were in games.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

MSHSAA does mention any person acting as coach needs to have taken the online rules quiz. You know, in case one of your players gets a concussion, the sub needs to know how to handle that.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

It's impossible for hosts to really enforce that though.

OakvilleHSCoach

For the record, my "assistant coach" is also our cross country coach and track coach- for any of those MSHSAA people who might be trolling the boards. He has already taken the online rules quiz for cross country and track, so we aren't breaking any rules. But thanks for the heads up. :lol:

christino

Post by christino »

Right now, it looks like Ladue isn't going to be able to make it, for the same reason as Clayton.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

reason #42 why mshsaa sucks

christino

Post by christino »

If, after this tournament, a team that has not previously qualified for the HSNCT gets into the top 15% of the field, can the highest-placing team (that has not previously qualified and is not in the top 15%) still receive a bid to nationals?
(I know I'm probably making a grammar error somewhere here, but I don't really care now)

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

No, that team counts as the top team not previously qualified.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

For those keeping tally at home, the currently HSNCT qualified teams in this field are:
Centralia
North Shelby

Oakville
Rock Bridge A
Savannah A

As such, three of those teams need to take home the top 3 trophies in order for us to make use of the "top previously unqualified team" rule.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ashkenaziCD wrote:As such, three of those teams need to take home the top 3 trophies in order for us to make use of the "top previously unqualified team" rule.
With the addition of Eureka B, we now have 21 teams, so assuming the final field has at least 21 teams, 4 teams will qualify.

Machina

Post by Machina »

Villa has also qualified for HSNCT, if we're keeping track. :D

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The field currently stands at 21 teams (* indicates small school eligible):

Centralia*
De Smet (2)
Eureka (2)
Glasgow*
Helias (2)
Hickman
Jefferson City
Lutheran (St. Charles County)
North Shelby*
Oakville
Pilot Grove*
Rock Bridge (2)
Savannah (2)
South Pemiscot*
Tuscumbia*
Villa Duchesne

Registration will begin at 8 AM in Allen Auditorium (Room 110) of Arts & Sciences, with a short team meeting beginning at 8:40 before the games start at 9.

Assuming the field remains at 21 teams, teams will be divided into three pools of seven for the preliminary rounds, and will play a full round robin within their respective pools (6 games and 1 bye for each team.) A lunch break will follow the preliminary rounds.

At this point, teams will be ranked by record. The top 2 teams in each pool will advance to the championship playoff bracket, the next 2 teams in each pool will advance to the first consolation bracket, the next 2 teams in each pool will advance to the second consolation bracket, and the remaining teams will advance to the third consolation bracket. If there are any ties that involve advancement to multiple playoff brackets, tiebreaker half-games will be played as necessary.

In each playoff bracket, teams will play each team from the other preliminary pool (4 games for all brackets except for Consolation 3, which will consist of 2 games and a bye.) We anticipate completing Round 11 around 4:15 PM, with awards and finals following.

Upon completion of round 11, teams will be ranked based on record only against teams in the same playoff bracket. For instance, the record for a championship bracket team from preliminary pool A will include its preliminary game against the other pool A team in the championship bracket and the four playoff games against the championship bracket teams from pools B and C. In other words, games between teams in different playoff brackets will be disregarded.

If, after the conclusion of the playoffs, the first-place team in the championship bracket leads the second-place team by two or more games, that team is declared the champion. If the first-place team leads the second-place team by only one game, then an advantaged final will be played, with the second-place team needing to win two games and the first-place team needing to win only one. If the top two teams are tied, a one-game final will be played. Tiebreaker games will be played as necessary to determine second through fourth place. If more complicated situations occur (e.g. a three-way tie for first), we will determine a suitable format to break the ties.

The six schools marked with an asterisk above are eligible for the small school title. If, after the conclusion of the playoffs, the highest-placing team ranks six or more positions higher than the second highest-placing team, that team will be declared the small school champion. If the top two teams are in the same playoff bracket and are tied, a one game final will be played. Otherwise, if the highest-placing team ranks five or fewer positions above the second highest-placing team, an advantaged final will be played, with the lower-placing team needing to win two games and the higher-placing team needing to win only one. If more complicated situations occur (e.g. a three-way tie), we will determine a suitable format to break the ties.

We eagerly anticipate seeing all of you in Columbia tomorrow and hope that you will have an enjoyable experience.

Jeffrey Hill
2011 NAQT Missouri Qualifier co-director

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Things are going well. Teams are at lunch, stats are being computed. Playoff brackets can't be decided until we play some tiebreakers.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Savannah wins.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

1. Savannah
2. Helias A
3/4. Rock Bridge and Villa Duchesne (They were playing a final, I don't know how it went...)
5. Oakville
6. Jefferson City

Correct me if the above is wrong...I'm going off half-remembered knowledge.

In the small school final, Centralia (3-2) went in with the advantage over Pilot Grove (2-3) and won the first game to take the small school championship.

This tournament went AMAZINGLY. Speaking for MOQBA, I can say that we thank everyone who staffed and attended so much. Further comments from Jeff and Matt will come after they have time to settle back into their routines.

On another note, MOQBA presented our first ever Award for Outstanding Student Involvement today. It went to Sam Haynes of Jefferson City, for his establishment and direction of the Bill Currie Memorial Tournament. Sam was honored with a plaque and a resolution signed by MOQBA. Sam well-deserved this commendation for his efforts.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Rock Bridge beat Villa Duchesne 420-150ish.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I'd like to second what Alex said about how this went today. I really had a lot of fun and got to see a lot of really good play.

Congrats again to Savannah A for winning the final 410-190 over Helias A! Job well done by all!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Thank you to all 21 teams for coming out to compete today! I hope everyone had a great time today.

I also want to thank the rest of the staff for the amazing job they did today. I thought everything went incredibly smoothly and most of that came from their exceptional work and their generosity for volunteering their time.

Everyone else already covered the basic results, so I won't add anything more now. I did upload the prelim results (not including the half game tiebreakers), so you can find those here. I'll get the rest of the stats entered and have those up sometime tomorrow.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Oh, I forgot: with the 21 team field we had today, the top 4 teams (Savannah A, Helias A, Rock Bridge A, Villa Duchesne) all received bids to NAQT HSNCT and PACE NSC, if they didn't have them already. To my knowledge Helias had not previously qualified for HSNCT, so the top-team-that-hasn't-yet-qualified rule for State Qualifiers does not result in any special qualification. In addition, Centralia finished better than 11th, so as the top small school they have also qualified for HSNCT once more.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

socalcaptain wrote:1. Savannah
2. Helias A
3/4. Rock Bridge and Villa Duchesne (They were playing a final, I don't know how it went...)
5. Oakville
6. Jefferson City

Correct me if the above is wrong...I'm going off half-remembered knowledge.
Eureka A should be in that top six somewhere, most likely where Oakville is--Oakville was in the second consolation bracket.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

socalcaptain wrote:1. Savannah
2. Helias A
5. Oakville
6. Jefferson City
I think this should be Eureka A in 5th - Oakville wasn't in the top bracket.

edit: Coach Kennedy beat me to it.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Ahhh yes. You are right. I knew something was wrong.

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

This tournament is probably the best I have ever been to. All the moderators were excellent (Sean was my favorite :lol: ), the rooms were easy to find, it went fast and had no visible flaws. All the guys got stats out really quickly, and the tiebreakers were very clear and well explained. It was a really fun day of intense QB, and all the teams there probably felt the same way. Very good job!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Prelims (now including tiebreakers)
Playoffs
All Games

I made several small adjustments to the generated HTML reports (and subsequently made a correction requiring me to make the adjustments all over again after re-generating the report). If you notice anything weird about the stats please let me know.
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correcting the plurality of the word "correction"

bt_green_warbler

Post by bt_green_warbler »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:Oh, I forgot: with the 21 team field we had today, the top 4 teams (Savannah A, Helias A, Rock Bridge A, Villa Duchesne) all received bids to NAQT HSNCT and PACE NSC, if they didn't have them already. To my knowledge Helias had not previously qualified for HSNCT, so the top-team-that-hasn't-yet-qualified rule for State Qualifiers does not result in any special qualification.
Both Helias and Eureka qualified at Richland on January 8th (stats), so Jefferson City has now also qualified for HSNCT.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:Oh, I forgot: with the 21 team field we had today, the top 4 teams (Savannah A, Helias A, Rock Bridge A, Villa Duchesne) all received bids to NAQT HSNCT and PACE NSC, if they didn't have them already. To my knowledge Helias had not previously qualified for HSNCT, so the top-team-that-hasn't-yet-qualified rule for State Qualifiers does not result in any special qualification.
Both Helias and Eureka qualified at Richland on January 8th (stats), so Jefferson City has now also qualified for HSNCT.
I just figured that out... thanks for beating me to it :). I'll get the nationals bids thread updated in the next couple of days.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Thank you once again for attending the 2011 NAQT Missouri Qualifier. It was very exciting to host 21 teams, our largest field yet, for a day full of competitive games. I hope everyone had a great time.

Following the playoffs, Savannah A and Helias A were each 4-1 against other championship bracket teams, so a one game final was played to determine the champion; Savannah won that game 410-190 to win the fourth annual NAQT Missouri Qualifier. Rock Bridge A and Villa Duchesne were tied with 3-2 playoff records, so they played a tiebreaker game to determine 3rd and 4th place; Rock Bridge won that game 420-150 to take 3rd place.

For the small school championship, Centralia finished tied for 8th overall with a 3-2 record in the playoffs while Pilot Grove finished tied for 10th overall with a 2-3 playoff record. Because these teams were fewer than six places apart in the final standings, an advantaged final was played with Centralia holding the one game advantage; Centralia won the first game of that final 260-145 to take home the small school title.

Full statistics for the tournament are available at http://results.scobo.net/MOQBA.

As a result of their strong performances, Savannah A, Helias A, Rock Bridge A, and Villa Duchesne have each qualified for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, to be held Memorial Day weekend in Atlanta, as well as the PACE National Scholastics Championship on June 4-5 at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. All four of these teams, as well as fifth place Eureka A, had already qualified for HSNCT at previous tournaments. As a result, Jefferson City was the highest-ranking team that had not previously qualified for HSNCT, and because this tournament was the NAQT State Qualifier for Missouri, they were also awarded a bid to HSNCT. Small school champion Centralia also qualified for HSNCT because they finished in the top half of the field. Congratulations to all six of these teams! Information about these national tournaments can be found at http://www.naqt.com and http://www.pace-nsc.org, respectively.

During the awards ceremony, the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance presented the first ever MOQBA Award for Outstanding Student Involvement to Sam Haynes of Jefferson City High School for establishing and directing the Bill Currie Memorial Tournament, which we recognize as a significant effort by a high school student to promote high-quality academic competition in the state of Missouri. The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance thanks Sam for his contributions and looks forward to recognizing more outstanding students in the future.

This tournament would not have been possible without the tremendous assistance of the entire tournament staff, who graciously volunteered their time and did a fantastic job keeping everything running smoothly. Special thanks go to Alex Dzurick and Charles Dees for taking care of several logistical details with respect to the tournament site on the University of Missouri campus, and to my co-director Matt Chadbourne for all that he did to make this tournament happen.

Each member of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance strives to provide the best possible experience at every tournament we are involved in running, and I hope this tournament met these high expectations. I appreciate any feedback you may have about the tournament so that we can make future MOQBA-hosted tournaments even better.

We are discussing potential dates for next year's NAQT Missouri Qualifier and hope to announce a date in the next few weeks. I encourage you to regularly check our website, http://www.moqba.org, as well as the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board at http://www.moquizbowl.com, for announcements of next season's tournaments.

All the best to each of your teams as you compete the rest of this season.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Hill
Co-director, 2011 NAQT Missouri Qualifier
President, Missouri Quizbowl Alliance