Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

All-Purpose Districts thread

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Why not class 2 D2?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

No desire to watch those teams.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

What do you think the over/under would be on teams breaking 100 or 200 points in that district?

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

Sometimes I wish I went to Steelville. Not to be boastful, but I think that I myself, a not-so-good player, could be the star of the team, and make it to state easy.

:(

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Belle should be decent. They took 2nd to Richland last year and most of their team is back. I'd be shocked if they won a game at state, though.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Yeah if you went to Steelville you would have to go to Steelville. I mean really who would want to do that?

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Or you could go to Viburnum instead and be the entire team. Don't forget to register for tournaments before you show up.

S.C.Mitchell07

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

I thought Viburnum used to be good?

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

S.C.Mitchell07 wrote: I thought Viburnum used to be good?
They did but only because of TMCE. Was Viburnum any better before were on the team, Matt? Or did they even have a team?

S.C.Mitchell07

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

Oh. Well. I see. Uggh... 11 Hours. I need a drink.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Viburnum was good in the mid to late 90s. They got second in districts a couple times before I was playing, and I've heard rumors that they beat Richland at least once.

KentB

Post by KentB »

After the morning, Notre Dame is the number 1 seed going into the afternoon by total points and NMCC is number 2... barely behind.

David Westrich is averaging 195 pts per game while Woody is averaging 145... should be an interesting championship.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

Class 4, District 4

1. Kirksville 3 - 0
2. FZW 3 - 0
3. FHC 2 - 1
4. FH 2 - 1

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Class 2 D8

1. Gallatin 2-0
2. Tarkio 3-0
3. Penny 2-0
4. North Platte 2-1 (lose to Gallatin)

5. Plattsburg 2-1 (lose by 40 to Tarkio) only 10 points behind North Platte

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
S.C.Mitchell07 wrote: I thought Viburnum used to be good?
They did but only because of TMCE. Was Viburnum any better before were on the team, Matt? Or did they even have a team?
I remember playing Viburnum many times; they're in the same conference as Cuba. The coach they used to have was a very interesting guy. :rolleyes:

ecks

Post by ecks »

I'm not really sure where else to post this, but this thread seems the most appropriate: what's the point of having a recognizer? It seems to me a complete waste of resources and unnecessarily cumbersome on tournament organizers to get people for a position that every moderator in the country (except for those who do high school in Missouri, it would seem) can do easily.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ecks wrote: I'm not really sure where else to post this, but this thread seems the most appropriate: what's the point of having a recognizer? It seems to me a complete waste of resources and unnecessarily cumbersome on tournament organizers to get people for a position that every moderator in the country (except for those who do high school in Missouri, it would seem) can do easily.
I agree; having a dedicated spotter in general is a little excessive. However, I don't necessarily have too much of a problem with it at state because moderators can forget to reset buzzers and having to replace a question because the buzzer system wasn't reset is not something you want happening at such an important tournament. I suppose the spotter at state also recognizes just to give them another job but also to make sure they are recognized before clearing the buzzer. I would think MSHSAA doesn't have too much of a problem finding enough workers just as long as people know they get paid for it (but on the downside, the money to pay this extra worker must come from somewhere=higher entry fee).

Of course, if they got better moderators who could handle resetting and recognizing, they wouldn't need to employ a spotter and would have better readers at the same time.

I think at Liberty yesterday the timekeeper reset the buzzers and the moderator recognized. At most tournaments I've been to, either the moderator or timekeeper reset the buzzers, and generally the moderator recognizes. A consistent exception is Savannah, which does have a dedicated spotter in each room.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

For districts and state, the spotter does not get paid. It is written the manual that each team must provide someone (may be a student) to serve as a spotter or unofficial scorekeeper.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

ScoBo1987 wrote: However, I don't necessarily have too much of a problem with it at state because moderators can forget to reset buzzers and having to replace a question because the buzzer system wasn't reset is not something you want happening at such an important tournament.
...unless you're me, because I tend to get bored doing nothing but spotting and end up forgetting to hit the reset button on several occasions.

For what it's worth, UMR's tournaments went relatively well this year with at most two officials in each room, and usually just one.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

FZW Coach wrote: For districts and state, the spotter does not get paid.  It is written the manual that each team must provide someone (may be a student) to serve as a spotter or unofficial scorekeeper.
Thanks for the correction - I completely forgot that spotters were provided by the teams in the morning rounds at state (and of course they are not paid; otherwise teams would potentially have to pay a higher entry fee just to pay the spotter they bring).

In the two afternoon rounds at state, workers from rooms that were no longer needed were spotters. I timed in the morning and was a spotter in the afternoon last year and did get paid for both.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

For what it's worth, UMR's tournaments went relatively well this year with at most two officials in each room, and usually just one.
I made mention of this at our conference tournament this year, where the school had 5 people in the rooms. They couldn't believe it.

ecks

Post by ecks »

DeckardCain wrote: For what it's worth, UMR's tournaments went relatively well this year with at most two officials in each room, and usually just one.
Just one person seems a bit much - every time I've played a game with only one official, it went almost agonizingly slow (we had this happen at NAQT sectionals this year; they extended the time to make up for all the time he had to spend writing down scores, but it was still a little frustrating).

Timing & moderating isn't all that difficult--moderating & scorekeeping, however, is a bit different. Although that may just be me; even when I'm keeping a running total as just a player I manage to get 10-20 points off by the end of the game, and I don't even answer hat many questions . :mellow:

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Timing & moderating isn't all that difficult--moderating & scorekeeping, however, is a bit different. Although that may just be me; even when I'm keeping a running total as just a player I manage to get 10-20 points off by the end of the game, and I don't even answer hat many questions . 
Math is the easy part for the UMR crowd. It is the reading you have to worry about.

ecks

Post by ecks »

East Buc & UMR wrote: Math is the easy part for the UMR crowd. It is the reading you have to worry about.
Oh yeah. UMR. You guys like, study math and stuff there, right?

MikeWormdog

Post by MikeWormdog »

ecks wrote:
DeckardCain wrote: For what it's worth, UMR's tournaments went relatively well this year with at most two officials in each room, and usually just one.
Just one person seems a bit much - every time I've played a game with only one official, it went almost agonizingly slow (we had this happen at NAQT sectionals this year; they extended the time to make up for all the time he had to spend writing down scores, but it was still a little frustrating).

Timing & moderating isn't all that difficult--moderating & scorekeeping, however, is a bit different. Although that may just be me; even when I'm keeping a running total as just a player I manage to get 10-20 points off by the end of the game, and I don't even answer hat many questions . :mellow:

The problem with only one person at NAQT isn't the slowness of the moderator keeping score, but the timed format. In an untimed tournament with a decent moderator, the slowdown is barely noticeable.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

What's the worst is when a moderator doesn't pay attention to the fact that they're being timed and they decide to start talking to people and sucking up 3 minutes of questions.