Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

JV STATE APRIL 9

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Continuing the Hill tradition of starting threads for tournaments we won't be at. I'm cooped up in the SUB Media Center that weekend.

What teams will be there? Who will prevail?

johnboy81918

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by johnboy81918 »

I know for sure we will be there.

I don't know for sure if we will prevail, but I certainly hope we do, and I'm working to ensure that we do well.

Now I have to hope the rest of the JV people are also working to help ensure victory...

Octoguy

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by Octoguy »

What school's team are you on Johnboy?

DeckardCain

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by DeckardCain »

Liberty

DavidH

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by DavidH »

Savannah's JV will be there. They look really good... They have a girl named Terrin Budine who is probably just as fast as any of us on varsity and will be amazing when she gets the knowledge base to back it up but she already has a good start. Anyway I might be there to help out and stuff. I don't think I'll go if I can't read though.

tcarroll

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by tcarroll »

Kirksville has been 1st the last two years and 2nd (to Savannah) the year before. I haven't seen them play much as a team, but I know we have several promising players this year.

libertymark

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by libertymark »

johnboy81918 wrote: Now I have to hope the rest of the JV people are also working to help ensure victory...
you don't need to worry john. i have things covered. at least on my end...

DavidH

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by DavidH »

Well, I'm going to be leaving for this here in 2 hours so I figured I'd post something. They are using QQQ questions (a mile above Questions Galore but still bad) and have a 5 period format with something like a tossup round, tossup bonus round, worksheet round, another tossup round, lightning round... not in that order and i'm not sure how the rounds are distributed for numbers of quesitons and such. Anyway, good luck to all the teams... I'm not sure any jv team members past liberty are on here but oh well.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I hope our JV is ready... they looked pretty good at Thursday's practice but may not be as focused as they should be.

L-Town Expatriate

JV STATE APRIL 9

DavidH wrote: Well, I'm going to be leaving for this here in 2 hours so I figured I'd post something. They are using QQQ questions (a mile above Questions Galore but still bad) and have a 5 period format with something like a tossup round, tossup bonus round, worksheet round, another tossup round, lightning round... not in that order and i'm not sure how the rounds are distributed for numbers of quesitons and such.
Mary Lou Johnson has a strange fetish for Triple Q.

:huh:

DavidH

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by DavidH »

Well after the morning rounds the standings are:

1. Kirksville
2. Parkway Central A
3. Liberty
4. Smithville
5. Savannah
6. Marshall
7. Mexico
8. Salem

L-Town Expatriate

JV STATE APRIL 9

Looks like a Mid-Missouri skew toward the middle ranks.
Who else is there?

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Results:

1-Savannah
2-Parkway A
3-Smithville
4-Liberty

The lightning rounds were really easy... especially since every round had at least one that was a letter of the alphabet one; in the third round, the choices were "A", "L", and "S". There were also a few summation math lightning rounds, which Smithville barely swept with 2 seconds to spare in the consolation game. After reading several Triple Q packets in various practices, I don't see why Mary Lou still uses them.

The bracket was really weird. For some reason there was one team that did not show up, and for some reason the team that was supposed to play them first round went to the losers room. Also, the single elimination bracket did not follow the standard format.

In the list below, the numbers not in any brackets or parentheses were the seeds used in the tournament. The standard format for the rounds is in parentheses () with top teams advancing by default; although my ordering might be a little off, the same teams would still play each other. The numbers in brackets [] are if the top team in each room advanced (in the JV State bracket scenario).

(the dashes are for spacing since the board won't allow multiple spaces)
- - - - -[1-5] (1-8)
5 (8)
12 (9)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -[1-3] (1-4)
9 (5)
10 (12)
- - - - -[3-9] (4-5)
3 (4)
14 (13)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[1-2]
7 (3)
8 (14)
- - - - - -[4-7] (3-6)
4 (6)
13 (11)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -[4-2] (2-3)
6 (7)
11 (10)
- - - - -[2-6] (2-7)

Note that this bracket had 7 and 8 as well as 9 and 10 against each other.

But of course, tournaments don't have to follow the format if they choose, so I'm just being nitpicky here.

Kirksville was eliminated in the quarterfinals by Savannah.

Although we took 4th, as far as I know this is the first time we've taken a trophy home from JV State. Hopefully this will fuel Varsity next year.

johnboy81918

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by johnboy81918 »

ScoBo1987 wrote: I hope our JV is ready... they looked pretty good at Thursday's practice but may not be as focused as they should be.
See Jeff? We didn't do too badly...but by the time we played the third place game with Smithville, I was just tired...I think we got so into the Savannah game, that losing by only thirty points just kinda drained us...which made me look back and see that we lost to Savannah by only 30, then to Smithville by 100...that just shows we were really out of it by then...but, I'm just happy we made it as far as we did, starting out going 5-0, then losing to the eventual champion...so, I think we did better than expected, unless you count the big loss to Smithville, which is a team we have come close to beating before.

But still, we brought home a trophy, so I can't complain too much, except I have no clue what the heck you're showing with your bracket in your post...

Anyway, congrats to all teams at state (especially those who placed: Savannah, Parkway, and Smithville)

tcarroll

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by tcarroll »

Aside from a terrible reader in game one (and not just because he used questions from game two), it was pretty well run and I enjoyed watching for once.

Congratulations to Savannah (and all the rest). I'm glad we lost to the #1 team, but it wasn't even close--there are some very good players waiting for a varsity spot.

JimmyL

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by JimmyL »

that reminds me, massive props to kirksville's JV for breaking 700.

S.C.Mitchell07

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

JimmyL wrote: that reminds me, massive props to kirksville's JV for breaking 700.
Good God... We barely got that in three rounds Friday.

:/

DavidH

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by DavidH »

tcarroll Posted on Apr 10 2005, 02:26 PM
  Aside from a terrible reader in game one (and not just because he used questions from game two), it was pretty well run and I enjoyed watching for once.

Congratulations to Savannah (and all the rest). I'm glad we lost to the #1 team, but it wasn't even close--there are some very good players waiting for a varsity spot. 
Hey I dunno if you saw me I was there I haven't met you though. Anyway I read for Kirksville in the 1st elimination round of the afternoon and scorekept for their 1st round game when the reader screwed you guys over... Anyway they looked pretty good.

tcarroll

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by tcarroll »

yeah, I remember you. I didn't know who it was at the time though, and i was sitting in the back pretty much the whole time. I was the kid with the cd player though.

johnboy81918

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by johnboy81918 »

I realize I'm a little late posting this, but I will still ask nonetheless: Did anybody here (meaning on these boards) see Liberty play at all? If so, what did you think? What are our main weaknesses that could use improving upon? Any other info would also be helpful, if you noticed some gaping holes in our team or anything like that.

libertymark

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by libertymark »

i saw you guys play.

johnboy81918

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by johnboy81918 »

Sorry Mark, but I was hoping for relevant information from people who probably had not seen us play before state...and it pains me to say that you most certainly do not meet those high standards...

libertymark

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by libertymark »

what are you talking about. i have seen you guys play before state. it was pretty horrible as well.

L-Town Expatriate

JV STATE APRIL 9

libertymark wrote: what are you talking about. i have seen you guys play before state. it was pretty horrible as well.
I think John's wanting opinions from those are aren't from Liberty.

johnboy81918

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by johnboy81918 »

libertymark wrote: what are you talking about. i have seen you guys play before state. it was pretty horrible as well.
Did you not note that I said "from people who probably had NOT seen us play before state"?

Don't say that you did see us play, when I'm looking for people who had NOT seen Liberty play before state.

Please read more thoroughly from now on.

Jeffrey Hill

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

To all the Liberty JV people:

I don't know if you're joking or not about being harsh to each other for little things like commenting about how Liberty's JV did at state when they were on the team about which they were commenting, but the tone that is shown between you all makes it seem like you won't get along as a team very well. I know you've done exceptionally well this year, but just keep in mind that if you go into a game with a bad attitude toward the game, the opponent, yourself, or your teammates, you will probably lose.

libertymark

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by libertymark »

i joking around john. take a chill pill man.

johnboy81918

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by johnboy81918 »

I'm not angry, but irritated. If you really want to post useless stuff, can't it go under miscellaneous? I'm sure Mark knows full well that I intended for people not on our team to comment on it, so why bother putting something dumb? I hope this is getting through...

And the capitalization in my post was only for the sake of putting emphasis on the NOT, it wasn't supposed to be interpreted as anger...I think that is part of the misunderstanding here.

And if there is a problem, then talk to me in person about it, as opposed to doing it online.

libertymark

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by libertymark »

are we cool then?

johnboy81918

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by johnboy81918 »

I know I'm cool, but you seem kinda nerdy to me...

B)

libertymark

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by libertymark »

watch it there buddy.

johnboy81918

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by johnboy81918 »

Actually, I saw the watch it there, then I looked at your avatar, and now I almost want to see the new Star Wars movie...almost...

libertymark

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by libertymark »

what is it going to take?

johnboy81918

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by johnboy81918 »

It's going to take me actually liking Star Wars for starters...

LibertyMarie

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by LibertyMarie »

*shrug.* that's not important. I don't like Star Wars nearly as much as I used to, but I'm still going to go see it...midnight opening morning, if I can get someone to with me lol. oh, and I know several people who don't like Star Wars but see it anyway to see the lovely and talented

:wub: Ewan McGregor

:wub: , Natalie Portman, and/or Hayden Christensen (ok maybe not so talented). tee hee

johnboy81918

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by johnboy81918 »

Well, I'm not going to see it unless I have any interest, which I can't say I do right now...

mujason

JV STATE APRIL 9

Post by mujason »

Hayden Christensen is a talented actor (just not with George Lucas' scripts). He was brilliant in Shattered Glass.