Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

District Results

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Trey

District Results

Post by Trey »

My first post, this is Trey from Saint Joe Christian. I have to say, I have no clue how Mound City lost to Tarkio, must have been some freak thing. We struggled against them (Tarkio) first half, but then picked it up to win. I have to say, I am glad that we didnt have to play MC, but I also feel bad for Brandon (we are friends from MSA). Oh well I guess, they just got screwed on the draw. But i have to disagree and say that the questions were pretty good, except some of the impossibly long math ones. Anyway, congrats to Brandon and the rest of Mound City for an awesome year!

PS. "District 8 is the SHIZNIT" - (good quote from a player at Mound City)

Octoguy

District Results

Post by Octoguy »

I'm totally stunned Mound City did not make it. You have my sympathy. I was really pulling for you guys.

JimmyL

District Results

Post by JimmyL »

hmm...there seem to be a lot of new class4 state qualifiers this new (as compared to last year, at least).
Congrats to FZW. I'm glad they were reapportioned into a different district than us this year, because after playing them so many times in our Two Saints Conference, I know they are a state-caliber team.

mujason

District Results

Post by mujason »

So now, the question is "What happened in Class 2, District 7?" The favorite was Barstow, but Adrian was also in that district, as well as my alma mater Lincoln. I talked to a former Adrian player tonight but he hadn't heard the results.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

District Results

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Lee's Summit won, huh?

What'd I tell you? Bring up your best JV players to districts and you can wreak havoc! I recognized Brad from Oak Park as their key JV player, and I believe he scored key tossups in the morning game against Liberty that kept the Northmen close.

Looks like South Holt was a pathetic host and should not host another district. Moderators who won't stop when interrupted by a buzzer? Not even reporting the scores by Sunday night? Sweet Patrons of Signal Hill, Mound City got screwed out of a repeat opportunity. (Then again, maybe there was enough complaining that South Holt withheld results pending state intervention, but this is pure speculation and wishful thinking.)

It looked like Pilot Grove's days of district hegemony were over with North Shelby (where the legendary Carol Farmer coached) meshed in there, and so it is confirmed. North Platte (as I suspected) waged a fierce battle for the district title but came up short.

If there were one class jostled the least, most likely it'd be Class 3. WCA, Savannah, El Dorado Springs, Ava, and likely Lexington: your typical powerhouses in that class reign again.

L-Town Expatriate

District Results

[color=0000aa]SWEET PATRONS OF KEN'S COUNTRY JUNCTION!!!
MACON COUNTY R-IV'S GOING TO STATE!!!
[/color]
[color=0000aa]GO RAIDERS!!![/color]

(My great-grandparents' tax dollars at work.

^_^ )

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

District Results

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: SWEET PATRONS OF KEN'S COUNTRY JUNCTION!!!
MACON COUNTY R-IV'S GOING TO STATE!!!
For those of you who are wondering what the heck Ken's Country Junction is, it's a truck stop just outside of New Cambria, where Macon R-IV is located.

East Buc & UMR

District Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I think like most members of the board any time, kyle does something like that we just shake our head and move on.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

District Results

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I have done some late-night tabulations on the teams that are going to state in the "List of teams advancing to state" post in the calendar on May 7, if anybody cares. There are 9 first time teams, and only 15 returning 2004 qualifiers.

Darn, I could have made the record 24 if it weren't for that darn paper. And it's also pretty pathetic that a lot of us are on here this late...

East Buc & UMR

District Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

It is funny since all you guys have school in the morning, but there is usually at least four of us up this late.

TruePirate

District Results

Post by TruePirate »

i win..

ajax

District Results

Post by ajax »

Hey pirate, can we have a truce? I'm tired of the ragging by you on all the boards. I'm sorry for the comments.

Nate Kinast

District Results

Post by Nate Kinast »

mujason wrote: Whoever got that question must have memorized a bunch of squares, as that person took 75 squared, shifted it over two decimal places to get 7.5 squared, divided by two, and tacked on pi to get the answer.
It's not hard... for squares ending in five, there's a quick trick--you just add one to the non-five digit of one number, multiply those, then add twenty-five to the end. Hmm that sounds confusing.

Basically, you have

---

so you change that to

<del>7</del>85
---

multply the seven and the eight, (56) and add 25 to the end. So, 5625.

Good for impressing and intimidating people who don't know the trick. :rolleyes:

JimmyL

District Results

Post by JimmyL »

yea, i later found that out from jason (wu)

L-Town Expatriate

District Results

Recounting my picks... Thank you Bill for scolding me into changing a once-accurate pick. Maybe I was inadvertantly predicting that screwball operation at South Holt.
Class 4 . . . . . Class 3 . . . . . Class 2 . . . . . Class 1 . . . . .
<del>Poplar Bluff</del>
. . . Notre Dame CG . . <del>Bernie</del>. . . . . . <del>Koshkonong</del>. . . .
Eureka. . . . . . WCA . . . . . . . Richland. . . . . Tom Jeff Ind. . .
Parkway Central . <del>Clark County</del>. . . <del>Vandalia</del>. . . . . <del>St. Elizabeth</del> . .
<del>Francis Howell C</del>. Osage . . . . . . <del>Schuyler County</del> . <del>Pilot Grove</del> . . .
<del>Kirksville</del>. . . . Ava . . . . . . . <del>Sparta</del>. . . . . . Lutheran KC . . .
<del>Webb City</del> . . . . El Dorado Spgs. . Purdy . . . . . . <del>Brashear</del>. . . . .
<del>Raytown South</del> . . Lexington . . . . Barstow . . . . . <del>North Harrison</del>. .
Liberty . . . . . Savannah. . . . . <del>West Platte</del> . . . <del>Mound City</del>. . . .

15 out of 32. Should have been 17. Should have been 19 if I realized that Macon County and North Shelby had a chance and acted upon it. (20 if I hadn't gone with that empty stomach idea that Schuyler County would upset South Shelby.) As I suspected, only one Class 3 pick wrong.

How much better was everyone else's?

MoundCityBMW...T

District Results

Post by MoundCityBMW...T »

I don't really have anything to say...except for that I couldn't be happier that St. Joe Christian is going to state. I wouldn't have it any other way (except if my team was going to state). After all of the B/S that was going on in our conf. and district I'm glad that Tarkio fell victim to Nathaniel.

Hey Trey,
I figure that we could just alternate district titles if you want to.
Freshman Year: St. Joe Christian (2nd at State)
Sophomore Year: Mound City (1st at State)
Junior Year: St. Joe Christian (1st at State...seriously you better win)
Senior Year: Mound City (we'll worry about districts first...)

All in all we had a great season--it's just over too soon. (41-9)

South Holt deserves a debtors grave.

I felt like we didn't hardly have a chance at districts...two games! that's all we played!!

I didn't want for Sam, Matt, and Catherine's last game together to be against Craig knowing that we were done... I'm going to miss them...

"I'll work harder tomorrow!"

"District 8 is the Shiznit!"

tcarroll

District Results

Post by tcarroll »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
tcarroll wrote: We lost to Helias. Twice, actually, once in the morning and once in finals. Both games were close but they were clean losses. Maybe we weren't at our best, but I just think sometime between the Marshall Tournament and Districts they got better than us. They're also the most well-rounded team I've ever played. Consider: They won the tournament without a loss, they were only outscored by us, and none of their players made the District team. There are no filler players.
Sorry to hear that... did you play Helias at the Marshall Tournament, and what were the scores in your two games? The balanced effort is also quite intimidating... I think the last time we saw them was at last year's Truman tournament, so that's no indicator whatsoever.
We beat them twice at Marshall. The first game was a blowout--100 point margin or more--but the second was very close. They definitely weren't a great team then, and they've definitely improved since then, but I don't have a clear sense of how much.

Octoguy

District Results

Post by Octoguy »

Eugene almost lost to Belle in the semi-finals. We were actually seeded 3rd after the morning rounds, our score averaged right at 300 while Belle was 2nd with only 30 more points. We didn't play too great against them and we tied at 205. In overtime we got to three questions first. Poor Belle. It really sucks to lose like that.

That morning we played them after they had thoroughly thwomped another team, and I'm sure they were expecting another easy win. It was a pretty close game until the end, when we managed to pull ahead by 50 points.

flycaitiee69

District Results

Post by flycaitiee69 »

NOTE TO EVERYONE: jimmy never says "pwned" nor does he inspirational mantras outside of this board
actually he did say pwned one time..afte he kicked a homeless, teen mother
AL AL AL

that jimmy li....:hehehe: what a jerk.

<3 caitlin

Trey

District Results

Post by Trey »

Hey Trey,
I figure that we could just alternate district titles if you want to.
Freshman Year: St. Joe Christian (2nd at State)
Sophomore Year: Mound City (1st at State)
Junior Year: St. Joe Christian (1st at State...seriously you better win)
Senior Year: Mound City (we'll worry about districts first...)
Hmm... I guess that sounds alright to me, Brandon. You're gonne be there to cheer us on, right? And, as you say, district 8 truly is the shiznit...

ajax

District Results

Post by ajax »

Kicking homeless mothers, that's just mean. They can't help their economic condition.

TruePirate

District Results

Post by TruePirate »

ajax wrote: Hey pirate, can we have a truce? I'm tired of the ragging by you on all the boards. I'm sorry for the comments.
woah
haha
you concede defeat in the face my insane hilarity?

alright bro
it's all just a joke
i just like to get people riled up.... ask Jimmer li

AC160

District Results

Post by AC160 »

ajax wrote: Oh, well Andrew. They were good, but the questions just weren't theirs. Also, I believe they got tired, they got pissed at one point, but so did I. I would love to play them again, b/c they were the best competition I've had for awhile.
I would like a rematch to see who gets the best out of 3 games since we played 2 games.

AC160

District Results

Post by AC160 »

ScoBo1987 wrote: Although I think you were the one that said nobody else on your team takes it seriously, you make it sound like they are insignificant ("the best competition I've had for awhile.") Since AC is a team sport, it seems wrong to me for anybody to not refer to their team as "we", even if it were someone who did absolutely everything and the other members of the team did absolutely nothing.
I will work on that. The score sheets are somewhat lopsided in my favor, but everyone on the team answers questions.

ajax

District Results

Post by ajax »

I know you guys at St. Liz were the best we played so far, and we would take a rematch any time with you guys. I wish we played you guys more. But alas I am a senior so it can't happen, Sorry.

ajax

District Results

Post by ajax »

My team, besides me, answered questions, but they don't work themselves up to studying for QB. I do, though. At state, more people will study before and answer, promise. Everyone depended on me to do everything, I am not God, and I got sick and couldn't handle it no more. How far is St. Liz from Leeton? What conference are you in? We are in GVVC, along with Leeton, Ballard,etc.

AC160

District Results

Post by AC160 »

We are in a conference with Eugene, Chamois, New Bloomfield, etc. It took us about 2 1/2 hours to travel to Leeton. It still is a lot less time than to where Eugene had to go.

ajax

District Results

Post by ajax »

It took 1hr 30min to get to Leeton, and what's bad is that they are in our conference. The distance range of the GVVC is like 3 hr from the most north school to the most south school. I wish we played you guys again.

East Buc & UMR

District Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

The distance range of the GVVC is like 3 hr from the most north school to the most south school.
Your schools are so small that you really do not have a choice.

could of come to UMR, and played them, TJ, and Eugene among others

ajax

District Results

Post by ajax »

Rolla is very far away, so it would be hard to travel there. It's practically crossing the state, but send some info to our QB sponser at Hume, she might be interested.

East Buc & UMR

District Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Rolla is not as far as you think. And Hume gets info just like every other GVC school thanks to an Alum

Octoguy

District Results

Post by Octoguy »

AC160 wrote: We are in a conference with Eugene, Chamois, New Bloomfield, etc. It took us about 2 1/2 hours to travel to Leeton. It still is a lot less time than to where Eugene had to go.
Yeah, we actually did have to go halfway across the state for our District.

The Show-Me Conference did pretty well as a whole at each team's respective district. St. E took a second place, and so did we, and New Bloomfield gets a trip to Rock Bridge. It is my opinion they'll be crushed by every team they play, but it's still fun to be involved in any state competition.

Octoguy

District Results

Post by Octoguy »

Does anyone have a copy of the schools in the 2004 districts?

mujason

District Results

Post by mujason »

A complete list is available at mshsaa.org; all you have to do is go to district assignments, choose academic competition, and choose the class.

Jeffrey Hill

District Results

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I think he might mean last year's

mujason

District Results

Post by mujason »

Oh, yeah, of course; last year's districts. Sorry, I mentioned how to get this year's districts. I have no clue who has last year's districts as I doubt MSHSAA has the old district online.

Jeffrey Hill

District Results

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I only have Class 4 when I was trying to figure out how close Savannah and WCA were to moving up.

Octoguy

District Results

Post by Octoguy »

Well that's better than nothing, Jeff. Could I get you just to post Class 4?

I was really hoping someone had a copy of Class 2. Oh well.

Jeffrey Hill

District Results

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Class 4 old districts:

District #1
Site: North County HS (Bonne Terre)
Manager: Helen Mitchell
Phone: (573) 358-8890 (ext. 242)

Schools Assigned:
Central (Cape Girardeau)
DeSoto
Eureka
Farmington
Hillsboro
Jackson
North County (Bonne Terre)
Pacific
Perryville
Poplar Bluff
Rockwood Summit
Seckman
Sikeston

District #2
Site:
Manager:
Phone:

Schools Assigned:
Chaminade**
Cor Jesu Academy*
DeSmet **
Francis Howell
Francis Howell Central
Francis Howell North
Ladue Horton Watkins
Lafayette (Wildwood)
Lutheran South
Marquette
Parkway Central
Parkway North
Parkway South

District #3
Site:
Manager:
Phone:

Schools Assigned:
Bishop DuBourg
Christian Brothers **
Cleveland NJROTC
Incarnate Word Academy*
McCluer North
Pattonville
Ritenour
Roosevelt
Rosati-Kain*
St. Louis University High **
Sumner
University City

District #4
Site:
Manager:
Phone:

Schools Assigned:
Ft. Zumwalt North
Ft. Zumwalt South
Ft. Zumwalt West
Hannibal
Holt
Mexico
Rolla
St. Clair
Timberland
Union
Warren County
Washington

District #5
Site:
Manager:
Phone:

Schools Assigned:
Blue Springs
Blue Springs South
Camdenton
Helias
Hickman
Jefferson City
Kirksville
Marshall
Rock Bridge
Smith-Cotton
Warrensburg
Waynesville

District #6
Site:
Manager:
Phone:

Schools Assigned:
Branson
Carthage
Joplin
Lebanon
Marshfield
McDonald County
Nixa
Ozark
Republic
Webb City
West Plains
Willard

District #7
Site: Lee's Summit North HS
Manager: Chuck Stephenson
Phone: (816) 986-3000

Schools Assigned:
Belton
Center
Grandview
Hickman Mills
Lee’s Summit
Lee’s Summit North
Notre Dame de Sion *
O’Hara
Raymore-Peculiar
Raytown
Raytown South
Rockhurst **

District #8
Site:
Manager:
Phone:

Schools Assigned:
Excelsior Springs
Fort Osage
Kearney
Liberty
North Kansas City
Oak Park
Park Hill
Park Hill South
Truman
Van Horn
William Chrisman
Winnetonka

Octoguy

District Results

Post by Octoguy »

Thanks Jeff. And what do you know, in a folder in which my dad compiled all of last year's information about Eugene's tournaments, I discovered copies of both Class 1 and Class 2 district assignments for 2004. Go Dad, knew I could count on ya!

Jeffrey Hill

District Results

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

David: you or Luce wouldn't happen to have old class 3 districts, would you?

MissCae

District Results

Post by MissCae »

I'm sure Luce would have them; the real problem would be finding them. He's a tad messy.

DavidH

District Results

Post by DavidH »

Why is this important?

Jeffrey Hill

District Results

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DavidH wrote: Why is this important?
Octoguy wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the schools in the 2004 districts?
Warren asked about them... I don't know why he needed them or if he needed anything besides Class 2.