Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Savannah Junior Varsity Tournament

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
MissCae

Post by MissCae »

The Savannah JV tournament was today, Savannah took first, Liberty second, and either Smithville or NKC got third (I left before the match was over). The final match score was 440 to 425, I believe. The questions had some repeats and mistakes, which is understandable because they were written on short notice (although not by me). Overall, a good tournament. However, I did hear that Liberty had a junior player who was also a member of their starting varisty team. If this is true, it doesn't seem right for them to play in a JV tournament. I always thought that once you started playing varsity, you didn't go back to JV, even if you didn't play at the level varsity required. It seemed suspect to me because the player in question answered nearly half of Liberty's questions in the final, so the game would have been less close if they had not played. Besides, I always thought that JV was for mainly freshman and sophomores.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

Since Liberty High School is only grades 10-12, our JV team consists of sophomores and juniors.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I had no influence on who played.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

MissCae wrote: However, I did hear that Liberty had a junior player who was also a member of their starting varisty team. If this is true, it doesn't seem right for them to play in a JV tournament. I always thought that once you started playing varsity, you didn't go back to JV, even if you didn't play at the level varsity required. It seemed suspect to me because the player in question answered nearly half of Liberty's questions in the final, so the game would have been less close if they had not played. Besides, I always thought that JV was for mainly freshman and sophomores.
Were there only four people playing? And who the heck was coaching?

Of course, Jeff isn't as vocal as yours truly, the Pseudo Führer.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

No we had 7. Camp decided who went. Bechtold coached. I just kept stats... and based on how the numbers look, I'm not pleased how we decided to put people in (in other words, we shouldn't have done so well so easily).

MissCae

Post by MissCae »

My point, which no one seems to have addressed, is that after you have started varsity, you should no longer be playing in JV tournaments. This leads me to believe that the player in question actually was a varsity player who was brought along to improve Liberty's chances of winning against the JV competition. I think it says a lot about Savannah to have won against a team of sophomores and juniors when Savannah's players were mainly freshmen with a few sophomores and one junior.

MoundCityBMW...T

Post by MoundCityBMW...T »

I had to watch helplessly as "Adam" (i'm pretty sure it was Adam because i heard his name called like 40 times.) or whoever it was annhilated our JV team. I thought about going in at the half and making it a fair game. (Mrs. White wouldn't let me.) Better to play fair and lose 615-165 than to...not...I guess.

L-Town Expatriate

MissCae wrote: My point, which no one seems to have addressed, is that after you have started varsity, you should no longer be playing in JV tournaments.  This leads me to believe that the player in question actually was a varsity player who was brought along to improve Liberty's chances of winning against the JV competition.  I think it says a lot about Savannah to have won against a team of sophomores and juniors when Savannah's players were mainly freshmen with a few sophomores and one junior.
I agree. JV should be a learning experience, and you sure as heck can't learn if there's a varsity player schooling you on almost all 40-50 tossups. JV is where first-timers get their feet soaked before diving into the deep end and nascent champions are developed.

If Camp had seven players and one of them was normally on varsity (doesn't the LHS Scholar Bowl constitution say that a player is considered Varsity if he or she plays at least three varsity tournaments in one year?) he or she should not have played. There were plenty of substitutes. I'm trying to remember if the standard definition of a JV player (typically not a senior) is actually codified in the MSHSAA handbook.

It'd be nice if the MSHSAA handbook were online!

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

JV is hard to define... In the KCI conference no matter how good a player is if he plays Varisity baseball he must be on JV only(basiclly it is up to the player to decide what sport they want to be on varisity and ever time I can think of well minus me they choose baseball) also my senior year we had a girl who was JV/V and my junior year she was V only.

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

just for the record. i wasn't really happy in who was playing at certain times and the amounts everyone played. (i didn't get to play much because of that.)

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Mark: 0.80 correct questions per quarter played (12 in 15 qtr)
John: 1.32 (29 in 24 qtr)
Shane: 0.57 (12 in 21 qtr)
Danny: 0.36 (4 in 11 qtr)
Alex: 0.44 (4 in 9 qtr)

Yes, Mark should have been in more. And of the quarters he did play, a lot of them were lightning rounds, so that average would be higher if only buzz-in quarters were included.

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

ScoBo1987 wrote: And of the quarters he did play, a lot of them were lightning rounds.
none of which were really my expertise either. plenty of bonuses though.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

libertymark wrote: none of which were really my expertise either.  plenty of bonuses though.
And it always worked out so that you were always out when questions in your area came up.

L-Town Expatriate

ScoBo1987 wrote: Mark: 0.80 correct questions per quarter played (12 in 15 qtr)
John: 1.32 (29 in 24 qtr)
Shane: 0.57 (12 in 21 qtr)
Danny: 0.36 (4 in 11 qtr)
Alex: 0.44 (4 in 9 qtr)

Yes, Mark should have been in more. And of the quarters he did play, a lot of them were lightning rounds, so that average would be higher if only buzz-in quarters were included.
Jeff, who were the other two?

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Samantha, who didn't buzz in once, and said person in question whose "shouldn't-have-played-jv" stats don't need to be revealed.

L-Town Expatriate

Has somebody on the team talked to Camp about this yet?

Panic... this was board post #6,666. At 1067, this gives me 1/6. Panic... :rolleyes:

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

then there is Brie who didn't come. but that is not relevent.

MissCae

Post by MissCae »

Like hell "his stats don't need to be revealed." If you did reveal them, you would show that a junior player from varsity got about half of your toss-ups against teams comprised of freshmen and sophomores. Oh, and I believe his name was Ryan, I certainly heard the caller say it a lot.

L-Town Expatriate

MissCae wrote: Like hell "his stats don't need to be revealed."  If you did reveal them, you would show that a junior player from varsity got about half of your toss-ups against teams comprised of freshmen and sophomores.  Oh, and I believe his name was Ryan, I certainly heard the caller say it a lot.
STANDER!? Great...

Local coaches need to be complaining like crazy to Camp, Bechtold, Jacobs, and/or Butler.