Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Columbia Independent "Big Cat" Middle School Tournament (10/12/19)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Lisa McClary

Columbia Independent "Big Cat" Middle School Tournament (10/12/19)

Post by Lisa McClary »

Hello coaches,

I am pleased to announce the arrival of the “Big Cat” Middle School tournament at Columbia Independent School! It will be held Saturday, October 12, 2019. Students in grades 7-8 are eligible to play. There will be trophies for the top three teams, and individual medals for the top 10 players.

We will be using the Miami Valley RAMS 2 set. Samples can be found here: http://ms.quizbowlpackets.com/2231/. As of this posting, there are no other middle school tournaments in Missouri using this set. This set will be used this fall for novice high school tournaments in Ladue, Independence, and Sullivan.

The field will be capped at 24 teams. Play will begin at 9 a.m. and we hope to finish around 4 p.m. Please arrive by 8:30 a.m. The exact format will be determined after the number of teams has been finalized. Expect to play at least 8 rounds and stay for the entire tournament regardless of performance.

If you have more than three teams, I’d like to place your extra team(s) on the waitlist to ensure that we can accommodate as many schools as possible. Feel free to bring up to six players per team.

The fee structure is as follows:

Base fee: $70 per team
Additional team from each school: $65 per team
Buzzer discount: -$5 per system, limit 4
Scorekeeper discount: -$5
Moderator discount: -$15 for experienced moderators

This tournament is coming right up! To register, please email me at mcclaryl@cislions.org with the number of teams, buzzer systems, and staff (scorekeepers/moderators) that you plan to bring. First come, first served! Again, your 4th teams will be placed on a waitlist for now. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you, and I hope to see you at the Big Cat!

Lisa McClary
Columbia Independent School

Lisa McClary

Re: Columbia Independent "Big Cat" Middle School Tournament (10/12/19)

Post by Lisa McClary »

Field as of 9/23/19

1. CIS A
2. CIS B
3. CIS C
4. CIS D
5. Washington A (2 buzzers, 1 mod*)
6. Washington B
7. Washington C
8. Pilot Grove (1 buzzer, 1 mod)
9. Tuscumbia (2 buzzers, 1 mod)
10. Ollis A (2 scores*, 1 buzzer)