Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Washington University Fall Academic Tournament III-11/11/17

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mickey0R0urke

Washington University Fall Academic Tournament III-11/11/17

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Hello everyone,

I, Jacob O’Rourke, my assistant director, Sean Phillips, and the Washington University Academic Team are pleased to announce that Washington University in St. Louis will be hosting a fall invitational tournament on November 11, 2017. We will be using the Maryland Fall question set; more information about the set can be found here.

Logistics information will be made available once the semester begins. This tournament will be seeking to be a qualifier for the 2018 PACE NSC.

The fee structure is:
Base Fee: $70 per first team from a school, $60 per each subsequent team from a school.
Staffer Discount: $15 per staffer.
Working Buzzer Discount: $5 per buzzer (your system must allow for 8 people to play at any one time for us to use it for the discount).
Distance Discount: $5 per 100 miles (one-way, as determined by Google Maps).

This tournament’s field will be initially capped at 24 teams. After the initial field fills, we will expand the field by 4 teams (so first we will expand to 28; then to 32, although it depends on our staffing situation) until reaching a final field of 36 teams.

We are allowing for direct entry for the first two teams from a school. A third team from a school (C team) will get the first spots on the waitlist for expansion. Any further teams (example: D or E teams) will be placed on a separate waitlist and allowed into the field 10 days before the tournament date, pending available space in the field (so you will know by November 1st).

Registration
To register, simply email myself (Jacob O'Rourke) at jacob.orourke.7@gmail.com and tell me how many teams, buzzers and staffers your school will be bringing.

I look forward to seeing everybody on November 11th!

Mickey0R0urke

Re: Washington University Fall Academic Tournament III-11/11/17

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Field (40/42):
-Washington [2 teams, 4 buzzers, 3 staffers]
-Southwestern Piasa (IL)* [2 teams, 2 buzzers, 2 staffers]
-Living Word Christian [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Hermann* [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Orchard Farm* [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-Fairfield (IL)* [1 team. 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Miami Valley (OH) [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Francis Howell [1 team, 2 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Carbondale (IL) [2 teams, 2 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Louisiana* [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Clayton [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Parkway Central [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-MICDS [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Ladue [4 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-Webster Groves [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Lutheran St. Charles [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-Glasgow (KY)* [1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-CBC [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Helias [2 teams, 2 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Hannibal [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-Northwest [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Granite City (IL) [1 team, 2 buzzers, 1 staffer]
-Warrenton [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Arcadia Valley* [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Marquette [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Henderson County (KY) [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Eureka [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Northmont (OH) [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Parkway West [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]

Teams marked with a * are eligible for the small school title.
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 49 times in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We're a third of the way to our initial field cap, so make sure to email me and register if you want to attend this tournament!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We're now halfway to the initial field cap. Make sure to email me if you want to attend this tournament!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We're making our first field expansion from 24 to 28 teams. There are now 9 spots in the field.

Piasa Coach

Post by Piasa Coach »

This is shaping up to be a very nice tournament. Looking forward to the trip to St. Louis.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We have enough staff to expand to 32 teams, so the field has been expanded to 32.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We've made our final field expansion to 36 teams, so there are currently 5 spots left in the field.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

The field has been filled! All subsequent registrations will be placed on a waitlist.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We've been awarded platinum qualification status by PACE, which means that the top 25% (the top 9 teams) will qualify for the 2018 National Scholastics Championship, which is on June 2nd-3rd at the Hyatt Regency in Reston, VA.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'm pleased to announce that we will be awarding a top overall small school award at this tournament! Any school that meets the PACE criteria for a small school is eligible for the title. The PACE criteria for a small school is:
PACE wrote:a school with fewer than 700 students in 10th through 12th grades that is a public school and has a non-selective admission policy. Please note that non-selective is not the same as non-magnet. Eligible schools are schools from systems where every school is a specialized center and students may choose to attend any school.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We have the rooms to do this, so we're expanding the field to 42 teams.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We have 4 3 spots in the field. If you want to join the field, please let me know!

EDIT (4:18 PM 10/30): 3 spots left!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

So I'll do the initial posting of most results since Jacob ran this thing after working his real job overnight and is currently tucked in my spare room to get some much deserved sleep. I'll leave the thank you's and other stuff to him. Ladue A claimed their second WUFAT in 3 years beating Miami Valley in the first game of an advantaged final to finish the day 12-0! MICDS took third over the small school champion, Louisiana. Prelim stats are here:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/

Jacob will post full stats in the coming days once he gets back from his sojourn into Dreamland. You can see a rough approximation of the rest of the day's rounds at

wustlqb.info

Congrats to all 40 teams and I hope it was as much fun to partake in as it was for us to put on!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Thanks to every team who played the event. I had a great time running it, and I hope you all had as good a time playing this tournament.

As an update, I plan on having statistics available by the end of this week.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Full stats are up for the day! Since the prelim stats have been posted, here are the rest of the day's worth of stats:

Playoffs for the top 16: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/
Consolation: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... nsolation/
Superplayoffs and Superplacement games: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... placement/
Combined: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/

Since we had 40 teams and were platinum certified, the top 10 teams qualified for NSC. I wish to extend my congratulations to Ladue A, Miami Valley (OH), MICDS, Louisiana, Carbondale A (IL), Helias A, Washington A, Southwestern Piasa A (IL), Glasgow (KY) and Henderson County (KY). Those 10 teams qualified for NSC.

I also wish to extend a sincere thanks to everyone who staffed this tournament. To start off with, my amazing Assistant TD Sean Phillips and my other partner in crime, David Dennis, deserve a huge amount of thanks for helping to keep me sane and for making the schedule that I gave to everyone in their folders when they checked in. Further thanks should go out to Stephanie Hull, Matt Chadbourne, Kyle Hill, Itamar Naveh-Benjamin, Patrick Butenhoff, Kevin Stockman, Rachel Derner, Anna Peacock, Tirth Patel, Andy Walz, Arjun Joshi, Ericka Hayes, Lily Hamer, Alex Harmata, Adric Montgomery, Brad Tutterow, Amy Sternke, Brian Tutterow, Samantha Doepker, Kyle Meyer, Jeremy White, Joe Stitz, Amanda Arbuckle, Alex Newman, Jonah Krueger, Dinis Trindade, Matt Hasquin, Erik Tomasic, Madeline Alburtus, Nathan Card, Collin Nadarajah, Todd Garrison, Matthew Zucker, Eric Schindler, Zoe Cooke and Byron Chin. You all are true blue heroes and did a lion's share of work. Thank you.

I hope to see everyone back for next year's tournament!