Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

St. Louis Open 2017 (7/8/2017)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mickey0R0urke

St. Louis Open 2017 (7/8/2017)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Hello quizbowl,

I’m pleased to announce that I’ll be directing WUSTL’s mirror of the 2017 NASAT set (if I’m not available, Sean Phillips will take over directing this tournament). This tournament, which is part of the St. Louis Open, will take place on July 8, 2017.

Teams are completely open. In order to register your team, you will need to email me at jacob.orourke.7 [at] gmail.com with your teammates, buzzer systems and staff information. A team formation spreadsheet can be found here. The tournament will take place in Eads Hall (building 33).

Fees
Base Fee: $80 per team
Discount: -$5 per buzzer system; -$20 for a moderator
The Minimum fee is $40 to pay for the mirror fee.
If you’re bringing a check, please make it out to Washington University Academic Team.

Field
-UConn feat. One Beanie Baby and Kai [Eliza Grames, Mike Etzkorn, Aishwarya Mogulothu, Kai Smith]
-WUSTL [Charles Hang, Tirth Patel, Cyrus Zhao, Collin Nadarajah]
-Bee HSU [Rob Carson, Dylan Minarik, Tejas Raje, Andrew Wang]
-UChicago [James Lasker, Halle Friedman, Teddy Knox, Federico Scivitarro]
-we lik the bred [Kyle Hill, Stephanie Hull, Alex Dzurick (maybe)]
-Vape-Free Moms [Akshay Govindan, Moses Schindler, Michael Powers, Max Ryle]

Hope to see everyone in St. Louis on July 8th!
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Charbroil

Re: St. Louis Open 2017 (7/8/2017)

Post by Charbroil »

Hello, everyone! I'm pleased to announce that we will also be hosting a mirror of the Cottage Bowl trash tournament after our NASAT mirror. I, Charles Hang, will be directing it.

Registration

To register, please e-mail us at washuqb@gmail.com with the following information:

1/ How many teams you will bring.
2/ How many buzzers you will bring.
3/ How many players you will have, as well as their names.
4/ How many staff (moderators and scorekeepers) you will bring.

Please form and register a team before the event. A team formation spreadsheet is available here.

Fee Structure

$10/player

We will be ordering pizza to eat between the academic and trash events. There a $4 per person charge if you want pizza.

We are willing to make accommodations if a team has trouble paying and wishes to arrange a payment plan, etc.

Please make checks out to "Washington University Academic Team;" we can also take cash but prefer checks.

The tournament will be in Eads Hall. Parking is plentiful.

Time

We will begin around 4-5 PM. Please show up by 4 for this tournament, or get in touch with me by phone if you know you can't make it on time. I will send out a tournament information email with my phone number before the tournament.

We will end the tournament around 8, depending on how many rounds we play (which depends on how many teams sign up).

Tournament Format

We only have 6 packets, so for numbers of teams that are multiples of 4, we will probably do preliminary brackets of 4 teams, followed by playoffs brackets of 4 teams. If we have 6 teams, we will probably do a round robin, followed by a final if 2 teams are tied.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We've had a team drop and a team register. I'd like for one more team to register for an even 6.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

A few updates:

1. The field has been updated to reflect it's current status. Depending on how things look when the field closes, I will determine the schedule then.

2. I have my work schedule for this day, and I can confirm I'll be there for most of it, until I have to leave at 3. After that, Sean will assume the TD mantle.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We'll be gathering in Eads Hall (room 209 for team check-in) to start the day. Eads Hall is Building Number 33 on this map.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

In the trash tournament, we played a 5 game single round robin, followed by a 1-round playoff between the top 2 teams, the middle 2 teams, and the bottom 2 teams. Teams "The BHSU That Couldn't Slow Down" and "Sean Phillibecky" both went 5-1, but since the former team had a higher PPG, we awarded them the championship.

Stats for the tournament are here.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Many thanks to every team that came to play some portion of St. Louis Open 2017! I had a fabulous time, and the players and staff are a big reason why.

I'd also like to thank the staff of the NASAT portion of the tournament! Many thanks to Sean Phillips, Peter Kahn, Joe Stitz, Kevin Stockman, David Dennis, Matt Chalem, Auroni Gupta, Ganon Evans and Spencer Johnson for staffing the event, which went like clockwork thanks to their fine work.

Hope to see you all sometime in the near future!

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I, too, want to thank everyone at SLO this year for making my final tournament as a midwesterner (at least for now) so amazing! For those who haven't heard, I'm moving to Philadelphia later this summer and so I won't be around for these kinds of events on a regular basis. My time competing against folks in the midwest has been a blast and SLO was just more confirmation that this circuit has some amazing people!