Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

WIMSEY II (Washington Middle) 2/25

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
dwd50

WIMSEY II (Washington Middle) 2/25

Post by dwd50 »

Coaches,

Washington High School will be hosting the Washington Invitational for Middle School and Elementary Youths (WIMSEY) on February 25th, 2017.

For the Middle School (7th and 8th grade) and Elementary (6th and Below) Divisions, we will use question set MS-20 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

Both divisions will play in the 20/20 format of tossups and 3-part bonuses. There will be no penalties for incorrect answers. There will be 15-point powers and bouncebacks on bonuses.

The Elementary division will run on the same set and rules as the Middle School Standard Division, but games will be shortened to 16 tossup cycles. We are capping the Elementary field at 12 teams.

Prices are:
- $65 for the first Middle School team for a school, $60 for each additional Middle School team. (B, etc.)
- $55 for the first Elementary team for a school, $50 for each additional Elementary team.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (limit 2 per team)
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse this discount.
- With the large number of divisions and teams, at this point most moderators will be working without a scorekeeper. Providing a scorekeeper who can work a room the whole day is a $5 discount.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.

Registration will begin at 8:30, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There will be a concession stand (popcorn, candy, and sodas) open during the day. There are several options for lunch in town.

Please use this form to register

Please fill the form out, even if you have contacted me in the past about teams you'd like to bring (if you did that, please add a reminder of that fact in the notes section.) You are not registered until you receive a confirmation email from the tournament director. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate. Again, please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible.

The top 2 teams in each division will receive a trophy. There are prizes (books and medals) for the top 10 individual scorers in each division.

Our school’s address is 401 E 14th St., Washington, MO 63090.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100/47 intersection, and then take a left to the middle school at the 2nd stoplight.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the middle school at the 5th stoplight.

If you have any other questions, my email is david.dennisATwashington.k12.mo.us, and my phone is 314-239-2640.
Last edited by dwd50 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwd50

Re: WIMSEY II (Washington Middle) 2/25

Post by dwd50 »

Middle School Field (24/24)
Hallsville
Sunrise A
Sunrise B
Sunrise C
Sunrise D
Buffalo Prairie
Wellsville-Middletown
Pilot Grove A
Pilot Grove B
Pilot Grove C
St. Clair
Montgomery Co.
Sullivan A
Sullivan B
West A
West B
West C
West D
West E
Lange
Washington A
Washington B
Washington C
Orchard Farm

Waitlist
Ida Cannon (Elsberry)
Lange B
CIS

Elementary Field (15/16)
Washington A
Washington B
Washington C
Washington D
Hallsville
Sunrise A
Sunrise B
CIS A
CIS B
Sullivan A
Sullivan B
West A
West B
West C
Lange

Buzzers (19/20)
Washington (8)
Hallsville
Sunrise
Buffalo
Wellsville
Pilot Grove
CIS
Sullivan
Montgomery Co.
West (2)
Orchard Farm

Staff (18-20/20)
Washington (10-12)
Sunrise
(Hallsville)
Wellsville
CIS
Sullivan
West (2)
Orchard Farm
Last edited by dwd50 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:32 am, edited 8 times in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

dwd50 wrote: The Highly Competitive Division will be using questions from the 2016 HSAPQ Novice set. This is a good beginning High School set, but will be much more challenging. You can find samples of their regular High School questions at hsapq.org.
(*Putting on my HSAPQ hat for a post*) For an idea of what the intended difficulty of the tournament will be, you should use the VHSL Regular Season sets (last year's set can be found here: https://www.hsapq.com/downloads/tournam ... ar_season/).

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

To accommodate everyone, I'm raising the Standard Cap and Elementary Caps to 20 and 16, respectively. I won't be able to lift them without some additional staffers, and we're stretched pretty thin as it is, now.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

The Middle School Division ended with Washington A over Hallsville, while West A took 3rd.

The Elementary Division ended with West C over CIS A, while Washington A took 3rd.

Results are here.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Thanks to a great staff:

Sean Phillips, Kevin Stockman, Tyler Woosencraft, David Reineke, Jon Deering, Penny Heisel, Scott Allen, Coach Allen's Daughter, Alan Whittington, Nancy Miesner, Ron Meisner, Zach Meisner's two brothers that I can never remember their names, Dawn Martin, Lisa McClary, Lisa Ruth, Sam Lockwood, Drayton Bates, Jerry from Sunrise, Sara Young, Melanie Bush, Joel Doepker, Emily Boyle.

Thanks to Washington Assistant coach Angel Young and her husband Phil.

Thanks to the Washington High School team - many moderating/operating without scorekeepers today:
Audrey Bush, Matt Chalem, James Collier, Carrie Derner, Matt Dew, Ryan Hill, Spencer Johnson, Marcy Lampe, Joe Stitz.

Big thanks to the man who kept the stats running so smoothly - far better than I can - Cole Phinney.