Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2016 Clever Invitational (November 19th)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Reklaw

2016 Clever Invitational (November 19th)

Post by Reklaw »

Coaches,

After the moderate success last year hosting a tournament, I'm just crazy enough to do it again. Clever HS will be hosting a High School level Academic/Scholar Bowl tournament on November 19th. The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format, with bouncebacks on bonuses. At this time, we will NOT be using “Powers” or “Negs.” I will determine tournament format when we are closer to the tournament....lesson learned from last year!

We will use question set IS-158 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). This set is (at the time of posting) being used by Eureka, Hallsville, and Smithville as well. You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

We are currently capping the field at 16 teams. The field can expand if there is more interest and staff.

Prices are:
- $65 for the first team from a school, $60 for each additional team.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 discounts per team). Preference given to those whose systems require the moderator to reset buzzers.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. (limit 1 discount per school) Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.
-$45 minimum per team.

Matches will begin at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12:00-12:30 PM. Lunch options are mostly in neighboring towns (10 minute drive at most). This year, instead of relying on an outside company to bring food (another lesson learned), I will be doing something in house. At the moment, I'm thinking grilling up hamburgers and hot dogs but this *could* change as I get my team, volunteers, and parents established. I will get concession pricing together before this time or notify you of changes well in advance (3rd lesson learned from last year!). I don't plan on the tournament going ANY later than 5:00 PM.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register.

https://goo.gl/TqhZTc

Please understand that, until I confirm with you via email, your team(s) are not registered. I will create a waiting list if this tournament fills up. Those who can provide experienced staffers could gain priority over those just bringing teams on the waiting list.

I plan on awarding trophy/plaques to the top 3 teams, and individual medals for the top 10 scorers of the morning sessions. Currently, this is scheduled at the High School off of Mo-14. Feel free to email me with any questions at walkers@cleverbluejays.org (Note the new email! The old one is defunct).

On a side note, if you are hosting a tournament we would gladly like information as we are looking to fill our season as well.

Reklaw

Re: 2016 Clever Invitational (November 19th)

Post by Reklaw »

I have had a cancellation, and we have room for up to 2 more teams. The only way I can expand the field is if I get staffing for the tournament. Therefore, teams who can provide moderators will obviously get some preference over those who cannot.

Field (16/16)

Clever
Richland
Greenfield
Houston
Spokane
Joplin (2)
Fordland
Walnut Grove
Diamond
Mountain Grove
Marionville
Sparta
Gainsville (2)
Aurora

I will begin compiling any waiting lists in case of cancellations.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

I am gaining a huge waiting list. For those of you on it, I will expand when I can confirm helpers for the tournament.

Waiting list:

Springfield
Stockton (2)
Conway (3)
Sarcoxie (1)

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Prelim Stats of morning rounds are here:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/

Teams are now in 2 brackets. Top 4 from each division are playing for championship. Bottom 4 are playing for consolation places.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

After Bracketed play, Gainesville A beat out Joplin (Thomas Jefferson) for first place in a close game.

The 3rd and 4th place game between Richland and Clever was also close, with Richland taking 3rd in the last question.

I'll have full stats Monday as I'm currently in my PJ's and comfy chair at home and frankly too tired to think clearly.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Final stats for the day can be found here:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/

After the first 1/2 of the day, teams were divided into a Championship Bracket and a Consolation Bracket. Teams then played out to all places. (so the SQBS standings won't match the bracket) Results of the bracket can be found here:

https://goo.gl/WlT6aB

Special thanks to everyone who made this possible and all the teams in attendance. This ran surprisingly smoothly all day and to my knowledge there were no complaints.