Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Oakville GSAC (2/27/16)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
OakvilleHSCoach

Oakville GSAC (2/27/16)

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Hello all,

Oakville Senior High School (Address: 5557 Milburn Road, St. Louis, MO, 63129) will be hosting a mirror of GSAC, a housewritten tournament produced by Maggie Walker Governor's School (VA), on February 27, 2016.

Each round will consist of 20 tossup questions with 20 3-part bonuses should a team answer a tossup correctly. Tossups will be worth 10 points, with 5-point negs for incorrect interrupts. There will be no powers at this tournament.

Question Distribution:
4/4 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/1 World/Ancient)
4/4 Science (1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Other)
4/4 History (1/1 American, 1/1 European, 1/1 World, 1/1 Ancient/Modern (post-1945))
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Visual Art, 1/1 Music, 1/1 Other)
2/2 Religion, Mythology
1/1 Trash
.5/.5 Social Science
.5/.5 Philosophy
.5/.5 Geography
.5/.5 Current events and Civics

This tournament will also be using a rule where a single team can have no more than six players on a team. If you have more than six players, please do not feel hesitant about signing up a second or even third team! The extra playing time will be an invaluable experience for your novice players!

Fee Structure

First team from a school: $65
Every subsequent team from a school: $60
Buzzer Discount: $5 per system
Staffer Discount: $10 per staffer
Minimum Fee: $25 per team

We will be capping the field at 18 teams at the moment; however, if we have enough staff, we will expand the field to 24 teams.

This tournament will be affiliated with the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance (http://moqba.org), an organization dedicated to promoting high quality quizbowl throughout the state of Missouri.

Since there are no viable lunch options within walking distance of Oakville Senior High School, we will be ordering pizza at a minimal cost (pepperoni/cheese) for all players and coaches. Lunch is free for all staffers.

Registering teams should email me at (whelehonc@mehlvilleschooldistrict.net) their signup information and any questions.

We hope to see you in February!

OakvilleHSCoach

Re: Oakville GSAC (2/27/16)

Current Field: (17/18) (updated 2/17)
DeSmet-2
Washington - 2
Orchard Farms- 2
Hannibal- 2
Eureka- 1
St. Paul Lutheran- 1
Northwest- 1
Webster Groves- 1
Mexico- 1
Francis Howell- 1
Lutheran St. Charles- 1
CBC- 1
Southwestern High School- 1

Waitlist:
New Bloomfield

Staff (8/9):
Sean Phillips
David Dennis
Kevin Stockmann
Peter Kahn
Kristin Pierce
Rick Sebacher
Michael Flandermeyer
Matt Chadbourne
Last edited by OakvilleHSCoach on Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:52 am, edited 6 times in total.

OakvilleHSCoach

Field is currently full. We are in desperate need of staffers for this event. If we are able to obtain enough staffers, we will look into expanding the field.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Christina, for clarity is that Liberty (KC) or Wentzville Liberty?

kstockman

Post by kstockman »

OakvilleHSCoach wrote:Field is currently full. We are in desperate need of staffers for this event. If we are able to obtain enough staffers, we will look into expanding the field.
I can staff for you Christina.

OakvilleHSCoach

scphilli wrote:Christina, for clarity is that Liberty (KC) or Wentzville Liberty?
Wentzville Liberty.

OakvilleHSCoach

PACE (the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence) has awarded this tournament platinum certification. This means that the top 25% of teams in this tournament (rounded up to the nearest integer) will qualify for the PACE NSC national high school quizbowl championship, on the weekend of June 4th-5th at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare outside of Chicago.

Full details on the tournament qualification process can be found at our website at http://www.pace-nsc.org/2016-nsc-team-q ... uidelines/. Full details on the NSC itself can be found at http://www.pace-nsc.org/2016-pace-nsc/.

OakvilleHSCoach

Still looking for staffers. We currently have five staffers. Will pay a $30 stipend to moderators not affiliated with a school.

Piasa Coach

Post by Piasa Coach »

Coach,
Southwestern H.S. (Piasa, Illinois) is interested if you have an opening in the field.
mhasquin@piasabirds.net

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

OakvilleHSCoach

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

As always, another stellar event from one of the best coaches to work with and for, Christina Whelehon. I have nothing but the highest praise for you and your kids! It was a great day and I had a blast reading for so many young, cool, smart kids!

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

scphilli wrote:As always, another stellar event from one of the best coaches to work with and for, Christina Whelehon. I have nothing but the highest praise for you and your kids! It was a great day and I had a blast reading for so many young, cool, smart kids!
Seconding all of this. This was one of the smoothest tournaments I've been to all year; I can't even remember the last time I got to leave an event by 3:15. Glad to finally be able to make it to Oakville for a tournament.

yankees12071222

Post by yankees12071222 »

DeckardCain wrote:
scphilli wrote:As always, another stellar event from one of the best coaches to work with and for, Christina Whelehon. I have nothing but the highest praise for you and your kids! It was a great day and I had a blast reading for so many young, cool, smart kids!
Seconding all of this. This was one of the smoothest tournaments I've been to all year; I can't even remember the last time I got to leave an event by 3:15. Glad to finally be able to make it to Oakville for a tournament.
Yes! This was perfect after two very, very, very long weekends in a row :)

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

yankees12071222 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
Yes! This was perfect after two very, very, very long weekends in a row :)
Kiddo I resemble that remark ;)