Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

WUHSAC XVIII (BHSAT Mirror), February 13, 2016

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
scphilli

WUHSAC XVIII (BHSAT Mirror), February 13, 2016

Post by scphilli »

The Washington University Academic Team is excited to announce the eighteenth annual WUHSAC, to be held at Washington University in St. Louis on Saturday, February 13th, 2016. This is as in the previous three years, President's Day Weekend, which (weather permitting) is an ideal way to use the holiday by seeing our campus and the city of St. Louis!

I'm Sean Phillips, and I'll serve as tournament director for this year's tournament. The set is once again a mirror of Yale's BHSAT event. We are looking forward to a tournament that will (hopefully) be bigger and better than ever!

To sign your team up for WUHSAC XVIII, please e-mail me at seanqb1982@gmail.com. For those of you who have my hotmail address please do NOT use that. It is in the interest of a smooth registration that I have everything centrally located and timestamped and therefore would greatly appreciate if in lieu of responses here being accepted as registrations, you simply email this gmail account with a note in the memo line. Teams will be signed up on a first-come, first-served basis. The field will be updated in this thread as registrations are received. If the field fills up before you can sign up, please allow us to waitlist you as well; in such a large field there is an appreciable chance that one or more teams will cancel.

WUHSAC's general rules will be similar to last year.

Rules
•20 tossups and bonuses per game
•no computational math
•no negs
•20 point powers
•NO bouncebacks on bonuses.

Format
•36-team field with the possibility that this might expand
•Bracketed round robin prelims
•Re-bracketed round robin playoffs
•four-team superplayoffs and final if needed

Fees for the tournament will be as follows:
•$10 per school plus $65 per team
•-$5 per fully functional (eight-player) buzzer, up to $15 off per school
•-$15 per experienced staff volunteer

Information regarding the set distribution for BHSAT can be found at this link: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 09&t=17399

I'd like to ask everyone interested in staffing the tournament to let me know well in advance of the tournament, by e-mailing me at seanqb1982@gmail.com or replying here. This will include both those volunteering on behalf of a school and others. Keeping track of staff for a tournament of this size will be almost as big a deal as keeping track of the field in preparation for the event. Thank you very much for your help!

As in previous years, we expect that some number of top-finishing teams at WUHSAC XVIII will be invited to this year's PACE National Scholastics Championship, also to be held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago, IL, on June 4-5, 2016. The last three years, the top 25% of our field has qualified for the NSC. WUHSAC will provide a useful opportunity for teams and staffers to visit and become familiar with a format similar to that of NSC beforehand (albeit NSC uses bouncebacks). A link to the 2016 NSC can be found here: http://www.pace-nsc.org/2016-pace-nsc/

As with last year, powers will be used on tossups and they will be TWENTY points in value. In addition there will be a separate award for the top small school at the event, using the PACE NSC definition of small school as well as an award if 4 or more teams qualify for the top JV team per the PACE definition. The definitions are as follows per the 2015 NSC:

"A JV team consists of players in 10th grade or below. Middle school teams count as JV teams.

A “small school” is a school with fewer than 700 students in 10th through 12th grades that is a public school and has a non-selective admission policy (non-selective is not the same as non-magnet; schools from systems where every school is a specialized center and students may choose to attend any are eligible)."

If you have any further questions, please e-mail me or reply here. We look forward to you all attending WUHSAC XVIII!

Sincerely,

Sean Phillips
Tournament Director, WUHSAC XVIII
Alumni Advisor, Washington University Academic Team

scphilli

Re: WUHSAC XVIII (BHSAT Mirror), February 13, 2016

Post by scphilli »

Field (48/48 as of 2/10/16)

Tuscumbia (ss) (1 team, 2 buzzers, 1 staff)
Hannibal (2 teams)
Hallsville (ss) (2 teams, 2 buzzers, 1 staff)
Oakville (2 teams, 1 buzzer, 3 staff)
Orchard Farm (ss) (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staff)
CBC (2 teams)
Webster Groves (2 teams)
Washington (2 teams, 3 buzzers, at least 1 staff)
Eureka (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Helias (3 teams, 2 buzzers)
Parkway Central (1 team)
Clayton (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Northwest (1 team)
Bolton (2 teams) (TN)
MICDS (1 team)
Warrenton (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Christian (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Ladue (5 teams, 2 buzzers)
Woodford County (KY) (4 teams, 2 buzzers, 1 staff)
Savannah (1 team)
Calvary Lutheran (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Sullivan (ss) (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Marquette (1 team)
New Haven (ss) (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Kickapoo (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Priory (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Francis Howell (1 team)
Last edited by scphilli on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 29 times in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

The addition of Clayton HS puts our field at half full! Still plenty of space available!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

The addition of Bolton HS adds our first out of state team!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Field is now more than 2/3 full!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

So remember when I said we were only a little over two thirds full? Yeah Ladue just claimed half of those. Six spots left!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

With the addition of Woodland County, we are now up to 35 teams with one spot remaining before I wait list!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

This might be the earliest it happened but WUHSAC has hit its cap! I will post later this week but I expect to increase it so if you still wish to register, please email me!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

In order to accommodate the considerable interest we have received, we have decided to increase our team cap at the moment to 42! This means 4 more spots are available!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

So we have hit our cap of 42. I'm going to entertain the idea of upping to 48 but I won't decide until after thanksgiving. From here on there are the following restrictions: We will create a first come first served waitlist. However, any team providing competent (as determined by myself or a trusted proxy) will have the opportunity to go to the head of the waitlist. I am so excited to be putting on such a big show for you guys, I can't even tell you!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

We are expanding the field for the FINAL time to 48 teams! If you would like to guarantee your spot in the field, please do so as soon as possible!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

One spot remains before we begin our final wait list! If you'd like that last spot please email me at the above address ASAP!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

We are now full. If you wish please join our waitlist.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

We are in the process of getting approval from MSHSAA and PACE. When we have confirmation, I will post!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

We are currently approved by MSHSAA and are certified as PACE Platinum!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Barring any last minute issues, the field is posted above.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Stats through the superplayoffs:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3488/

Then Hannibal won two in a row to defeat Woodford County A for the title. I'll have more to talk about tomorrow when I can properly collect myself.

yankees12071222

Post by yankees12071222 »

Will combined stats be posted soon?

Also, I would like to thank Sean Phillips and everyone who helped again for running such an amazing tournament! :)

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

yankees12071222 wrote:Will combined stats be posted soon?

Also, I would like to thank Sean Phillips and everyone who helped again for running such an amazing tournament! :)
Thanks and let Jeff Hill sleep.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I don't think words adequately express the gratitude I feel for my kick butt staff yesterday who helped make WUHSAC XVIII from a crazy dream into this very real thing. I feel bad because I only got to speak to some of them at most for 90 seconds. Here goes and if I forget anyone I'm sorry: thanks to Gordon Arsenoff, Miranda Geer, Paul Nelson, Zach Miesner, Jason Loy, Grace Ziehm, Jeffrey M Hill, Brittany (from Hallsville), Itamar Naveh-Benjamin, Todd Beig, David Dennis, Jamie Doenges, Vinay Penna, Kaitlyn Miller, Peter Kahn, Audrey Bush, Erik Tomasic, Elise Thierbach, Isaac Baumann, Caleb Young, Stephanie Hull, Patrick Butenhoff, Andy Walz, Tyler Schlichenmeyer, Matt Chadbourne, Zoe Godefroid, Kyle Hill, Evan Courtaway, Charlie Beard, Ammar Zahid, Sharjeel Zahid, Jacob Bryce O'Rourke, Shelley Swoyer, Kevin Stockman, Leo Bergin, Brandon Daake, Sawyer Magnus, Scott Allen, Mercedes Allen, Christina Whelehon, Maddie Bayer, Tirth Patel, Meredith Bayer, Richard Yu, Marshall Mullins, Susie Thierbach, Lance Finney, Abdullah Shoaib, Jonathan Mishory, Katelyn Miyasaki, Angel Young, Charles Hang and Seth Ebner. So many names. Such a big help and relief. I don't know how to thank you all enough!
Last edited by scphilli on Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

In addition to our top two teams, Clayton B beat Marquette for third place. Orchard Farm was the only small school to make top 16 and won the small school title outright. Woodford County B was the only JV team to make top 8 and thus won the JV title outright. Congrats to all!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Copy and pasted from hsquizbowl.org from the set's EIC:

We hope that everybody enjoyed the BHSAT set! The forum admins still haven't made our private discussion forum, but until they do, please send any feedback about the BHSAT set to jacob.reed@yale.edu—we'd love any chance to improve the set for future mirrors.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Combined report is now available! I had to manually reorder several teams on the standings page to reflect the correct order of finish, so please let me know if you notice any errors.

yankees12071222

I'm guessing that the audio recording for the finals will be released after all BHSAT mirrors have been completed? Or will the audio not be available? Haha

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Kyle Hill?

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

yankees12071222 wrote:I'm guessing that the audio recording for the finals will be released after all BHSAT mirrors have been completed? Or will the audio not be available? Haha
Once I've polished the three files, I'll send them to Sean. Their release will be at his discretion in his role as tournament director (in addition to when BHSAT's writers have cleared the set).

yankees12071222

Sounds good!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Kyle let me save you the trouble. Once the set is clear I'm good with the files published as you see fit.