Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Tuscumbia Spring Elementary Tournament - 4/30/16

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Jason Loy

Tuscumbia Spring Elementary Tournament - 4/30/16

Post by Jason Loy »

Hello all,

I am pleased to announce that Tuscumbia High School will be hosting an elementary academic tournament on April 30, 2016. Although we expect that students in the 5th and 6th grades will comprise the majority of participants, any student in 6th grade or below is eligible. We have had students as young as 3rd grade compete in previous tournaments. As we have done in the past, we will use a modified version of NAQT's MS-18 question set. Each game will consist of 16 tossups followed by up to 16 three-part, 30 point rebounding bonuses. Each team will be guaranteed at least seven games regardless of performance.

Since we anticipate that most schools will bring multiple teams, we encourage you to bring as many buzzer systems as possible. Note that our definition of "school" is fairly flexible since this age group is not covered by MSHSAA's jurisdiction. Teams consisting of students from multiple schools within the same school district are acceptable if the following conditions are met:

1) There are fewer than four participating students from a given school in that district. If there are four or more students from a particular school, they must play on the same team, but may play under the jurisdiction of the district. For example, if East Middle School in Anytown School District has four participating students, they may play as, for example, Anytown B instead of being restricted to representing East Middle School.

2) There is not an established quiz bowl program at the school in question, and the students are being supervised by someone other than an employee at that particular school (usually an employee of another school at the district). Teams from such a school may combine with another school

2a) The only exception to this rule is that schools may have students from feeder schools (that feed into that school and only that school) play on their teams. For example, if all students from North Elementary School eventually go to Pleasantville Middle School, fifth graders from North Elementary School may play on a Pleasantville Middle School team.

Please consider that we're just trying these rules out for the first time, so tweaks may be necessary. If you have a situation not explicitly covered in these rules or that you may feel that is deserving of an exception, please let me know. All rules changes will be communicated to all parties before being implemented.

We ask that you limit teams to eight students each, with up to six being able to play in each game.

As of now, the field cap will be will be 24 teams. Expansion is possible once the cap is reached. As some of you probably know, this would be the largest ever invitational elementary quiz bowl tournament on pyramidal questions, so I'm planning on doing extensive outreach to build the field and introduce some new schools to the activity. This is where I'd like your help. If you know of schools near you that already have a team but aren't very active or a colleague at another school that may be receptive to starting a team or at least bringing a group of students to this tournament, I would greatly appreciate some guidance on where and how this outreach would be most fruitful. I plan on mailing invitations to up to a hundred schools, selectively calling schools, and perhaps even a school visit or two. Both public and private schools are welcome to attend as well as home school cooperatives (or even an intrepid home-schooled student playing solo). Again, if you could identify schools that you think would be receptive to these efforts, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Entry fees are as follows:

First team from each school: $55
Second and subsequent teams: $50 each
Buzzer discount: $5 per working set (no limit)

To ensure that we receive payment before the end of the school year, I ask that you either pay at the tournament or mail the check (made out to Miller County R-3 Schools) ahead of time to the following address:

Miller County R-3 Schools
Attn: Jason Loy
526 School Road
PO Box 1
Tuscumbia, MO 65082

To register, please email me at jloy@tuscumbialions.k12.mo.us with the number of teams and buzzer systems you plan to bring.

Thank you,

Jason Loy
Tuscumbia High School

Jason Loy

Re: Tuscumbia Spring Elementary Tournament - 4/30/16

Post by Jason Loy »

Field: (18/18)

Tuscumbia (4)
Washington (3)
West (Columbia) (3)
Lange
Pilot Grove (2)
CIS (4)
Hallsville

Jason Loy

Re: Tuscumbia Spring Elementary Tournament - 4/30/16

Post by Jason Loy »

Hallsville won this tournament by defeating Washington A in a de facto one-game final 350-180. CIS A, playing in their first full tournament, finished third. Washington A's Samantha Doepker was the tournament's leading scorer, closely followed by Lauren Blakemore of Hallsville. Stats are here:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3747/