Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Missouri Fall Academic Tournament - October 17th, 2015

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
khrum

Missouri Fall Academic Tournament - October 17th, 2015

Post by khrum »

Hello Coaches,

The University of Missouri Quizbowl Club is pleased to announce that we are planning on hosting our eighth annual Missouri Fall Academic Tournament on October 17th, 2015. Sean Philips has graciously volunteered his time and will help me co-direct this year's tournament.

We're currently counting on using an NAQT IS set for the tournament, but this is tentative until I receive confirmation from NAQT that a set will be available. We will update coaches as soon as we have confirmation.

We will be giving out trophies to the top 3 teams, and if we have a large enough field of small schools, we will also give out an award to the top placing small school team. We will be using NAQT's definition of a small school, which is any non-selective public school with 500 or fewer students in grades 10-12.

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.

The field will be capped at 24 teams. Spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will form a waitlist, and if teams drop, we will proceed down the list in order. If the field fills, then we will be able to guarantee you a 10 game schedule, which we are very excited to offer your team to allow them to get increased early season playing time. Also, if we fill the field, then the top 6 teams and possibly the top small school will qualify for the 2015 NAQT High School National Championship. Additionally, the top teams will qualify for the 2015 PACE National Scholastics Championship.

We hope to expand the field, but we're setting a 24 team cap until we're sure we have enough staff to host a larger event.

Field (0/24):

Fee Structure:
First team from a school: $65
Additional teams from the same school: $60 per team
Buzzer system discount*: -$5 per system per team, up to $20 off.
Staffer discounts: -$5 per team that brings a scorekeeper, and -$15 for each experienced moderator a team brings. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing. We will provide the scorekeeper with a lunch. For both the staff discounts, we need to know about your plans to bring staff before the tournament, and we reserve the right to not take you up on your staff and their discount.

Registering:

To register your team, please contact us at mizzouquizbowl@gmail.com with your school name, along with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you plan on bringing. Registration will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will email all of the coaches to ask for rosters around a month before the tournament.

We hope to see you on October 17th for what should be an excellent tournament! If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at mizzouquizbowl@gmail.com.

Itamar Naveh-Benjamin
2015 MFAT Tournament Co-Director

scphilli

Re: Missouri Fall Academic Tournament - October 17th, 2015

Post by scphilli »

Field (28/28 as of 10/16/2015)

Hannibal (2 teams)
Washington (3 teams, 4 buzzers, 1 staffer)
Moberly (2 teams)
St. Pius X (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer)
Hickman (2 teams, 2 buzzers, 2 staffers)
Fort Osage (2 teams)
Rock Bridge (3 teams, 1 staffer)
Pilot Grove (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Mexico (1 team)
Tuscumbia (1 team, 2 buzzer, 1 staff)
Lutheran (St. Charles) (2 teams, 2 buzzers)
Poplar Bluff (2 teams)
Camdenton (1 team, 2 buzzers, 2 staff)
Ladue (3 teams, 2 buzzers)
Hermann (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Last edited by scphilli on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Note, if you think you have registered and do NOT see yourself in this field, please email me at seanqb1982@gmail.com ! And if that did happen I apologize in advance for the oversight.
Last edited by scphilli on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Almost full!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Camdenton's registration means we have hit our initial cap of 24 teams. If you are still interested by all means let us wait list you in the event there is a drop or if we decide we can expand the field.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

This event is now approved by MSHSAA. We are waiting to hear back from PACE. Also, Ladue holds the first spots on the wait list but please let us know if you are interested.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

This event is now platinum certified by PACE! The top 25% will receive bids to the 2016 PACE NSC in Chicago!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

We have upped the cap marginally to 28 teams! If you would still like to register and aren't on the list, please do so ASAP, otherwise a standby team from another school will get the spot!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Registration is now closed. If teams who have registered have changed their plans, please let me know ASAP. I plan to email schedules no later than Thursday. I cannot wait for Saturday!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Prelim stats can be found here.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Pilot Grove wins over Tuscumbia for the MFAT Small School title 165-125. Superplayoffs are about to finish!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Playoff stats are posted here.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

After superplayoffs, Hickman A is finishing in fourth. Washington A and Rock Bridge A are playing to decide who plays Hannibal in a winner take all final!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Washington A beats Rock Bridge A 235-225 to play Hannibal A in a winner take all finale! Wonderful day!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

And Washington A defeats Hannibal A 315-210 to claim the 2015 MFAT! Congratulations to all teams and final stats will be up momentarily!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Final stats are up here.

Nathan Rock Bridge

Post by Nathan Rock Bridge »

Great tournament, congrats to Washington A on the well-deserved victory.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Once again on behalf of Itamar Naveh-Benjamin and the Mizzou Quizbowl Club I thank you from the bottom of my heart for coming yesterday! I hope each and every one of you had as much fun participating in that event as we did hosting it.

I'd also like to thank our incredible staff without whom this day would not have been possible: Matt Chadbourne, Kyle Hill, Jeffrey M Hill, Greg Irwin, Sierra from Tuscumbia, Jacob Bryce O'Rourke, David Dennis, Jason Loy, John Perlik, Colin, CJ and Jessica Leutkemeyer, Will Mason, Scott Allen,Sherry Xie, Franziska Weston, Erik Tomasic, Victor Topouria, Diana Harmata, and Charles Hang! This event would not have run half as well without each and all of them so thank you all! Extra special thanks to Iron Jeff Hill who moderated all 14 rounds yesterday!

Full statistics can be found online at the above links Jacob posted (Thank you for doing that Jacob!) If I misspelled any of your players' names (which if I know myself I probably have accidentally done) just let me know and I'll fix it.

Once again thank you so much for such an awesome day and a wonderful way to help kick off what many of us feel is going to be a very fun season!

Sincerely,

Sean Phillips
Co-Tournament Director, 2015 Mizzou Fall Academic Tournament

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Congratulations to Washington A, Hannibal A, Rock Bridge A, Hickman A, Ladue A and Washington B! NAQT confirms you have qualified for the 2016 HSNCT. Congratulations to Pilot Grove A and Tuscumbia who also qualify for the 2016 SSNCT!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

In addition the following qualify for the 2016 PACE NSC: Washington A and B, Hannibal A, Rock Bridge A, Hickman A, Ladue A and Poplar Bluff A! Congrats all!