Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Varsity: 1) Savannah 2) Lexington 3) Parkway Central and Barstow
JV: 1) Savannah 2) Lee's Summit A 3) Lee's Summit B and Blue Springs

Varsity: Savannah demolished Lexington in the finals after losing to them by 10 points in the first round. On their way to first place, they defeated Liberty and Parkway.
JV: LEE'S SUMMIT 2ND!? AND 3RD!?!? Holy crap...

I'll be calculating my top ten submissions shortly.

DavidH

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by DavidH »

Here is my account of what happened at NKC. Overall, we played well. The first round, we severely underestimated Lexington and paid the price for it. We went in convinced we would win and we were already thinking about whether we would play PCH or Liberty in the morning. That was a huge mistake as Lexington came out to play. We actually beat them 12-9 in tossups, but the mere fact we only got 12 tossups is pretty bad. Factor in one of the worst team performances we've ever had + nightmarish give and take rounds (I hated those), and you have a 400-410 loss. Anyway, we reorganized and easily beat St. Joseph Christian and Park Hill. So we were 2-1 at the end of the morning and somehow got the highest team score even with a loss. In the afternoon, we played a good match against Liberty who was tough and only missed one US History that we didn't get by my count that you could factor the loss of Jeff into. Tom had a great round. Next we played a good round against PCH. There were alot of questionable answers and the match never got a real flow with the less than great moderator so this wasn't a good measure of either team's ability. Last we soundly beat Lexington, in the finals. Overall 5-1 for the day, and 21-1 for the season with 4 tournaments under our belts. (3 by MSHSAA standards)

L-Town Expatriate

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

DavidH wrote: Overall 5-1 for the day, and 21-1 for the season with 4 tournaments under our belts. (3 by MSHSAA standards)
Just remember that should you (most certainly) make it to state, technically your records at Maple Woods and MoWest don't count.

MissCae

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by MissCae »

I thought everyone did well, but most of that is on hearsay, since I moderated for JV all day. The questions were good, the give and take was a new thing and I think it helped shake things up a bit, although most teams don't like change. Anyway, from what I've seen at the JV level, Blue Springs will eventually be pretty good and Savannah has a lot of up-and-comers (big surprise there). I was pretty amazed at Lee's Summit on the JV level, they played very well, I didn't even know Lee's Summit had a quiz bowl program. It was a well-ran tournament, except that I had to moderate, call, time, and scorekeep for a few rounds by myself. Thanks, Kyle, for keeping time and scoring for me during the last round.

DavidH

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by DavidH »

I would have liked the give and take if a couple of things were changed: both teams should get to "give" once. Also, the bonuses should all rebound for 5 pts. That way, it would be much more fair, and would prevent flukes... (I'm really not that bitter)

JimmyL

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by JimmyL »

Ok, well we went into this tournament without a full team since we didn't have Chad...but I guessed it turned out better than I expected.
So we played Benton in the morning round and played a terrible game...but evidently they're a completely new team and we still beat them pretty badly. Anyway, then we played a game vs. Lee's Summit and at that point, I realized how annoying give and take rounds are. I think we were in the lead by 60 points going into it, and then we were down by 5 going into the worksheet. Anyway, we played well for the rest of the game and won pretty easily. Then we played a really intense game against Liberty where both teams screwed up a couple of times, but it ended up as a fun, close game. Eh, then when we came back from lunch, we had the unexpected "pleasure" of being seeded first place (although this turned out to be quite a disadvantage), since we never would have thought Savannah would be ranked 4th.

Speaking of that, David, I read your post. How has Lexington become so good? They were pretty sub par last year, and I'm pretty sure they didnt even make state. Are they just an overall good, even team?

Anyway, so played against Mound City, which is a really good team. I think we scored 18 on the wksheet that round and they scored 19. Anyway, it was a 25 point margin before fourth, where we stepped it up and ended up winning by more than 100.

And of course, we played Savannah (bah, I wish it weren't in the semis like that......) We made some idiotic mistakes on the wksheet and I screwed up most of the math for the first time that day. Yea, so Savannah, you guys played amazing once again (does Will have ALL literature facts memorized????) Congrats on yet another victory; it's always fun to play you guys.

All in all, it was a great experience; there's no way we could find such a large numbe rof competitive teams here in Stl. Take our tournament for instance...we had the only 4 good teams in the entire area come. KC has so many more competitive teams. So it was a pretty fun tournament..but I'll still take MSHSAA format anyday.

JimmyL

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by JimmyL »

OH AND THIS IS IMPORTANT

KYLE, or anyone else who might know...did you guys see our buzzer set lying in the one of the rooms? We were completely absorbed in the competition and since we had a substitute coach, we were dumb enough to forget about our buzzers entirely. I just want to make sure that Mr. Allen realized we left them there. Either way, I'll tell Ms. Wagner ASAP and have her pay him and have him FedEx them over here (they're the middle school buzzers, ours don't work well enough for competition)

tcarroll

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by tcarroll »

MissCae wrote: Anyway, from what I've seen at the JV level, Blue Springs will eventually be pretty good 
As long as they're not "pretty good" this year.

Actually, at districts last year, we played them twice and I think they were our closest game and our biggest win. I guess we were all a little sleepy after lunch because they were actually ahead going into the fourth quarter the next game, if I'm remembering right.

DavidH

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by DavidH »

Lexington truly isn't that bad. However, they are certainly not great and are only nearing good. Once again, we played terribly. That + the other factors I listed above are why we lost. Anyway, I hate to take away from their win, because by no measure did we deserve that win considering how we played. They deserve it and should be proud of their improvement. I actually feel kind of bad, because I got really upset after we lost and didn't shake the other team's hands and just left. But we still had a good day reguardless of that match.

East Buc & UMR

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Can someone explain the give and take rounds please. Also is benton playing in districts this year as is the other 2 St Joe public schools?

L-Town Expatriate

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

JimmyL wrote: OH AND THIS IS IMPORTANT

KYLE, or anyone else who might know...did you guys see our buzzer set lying in the one of the rooms? We were completely absorbed in the competition and since we had a substitute coach, we were dumb enough to forget about our buzzers entirely. I just want to make sure that Mr. Allen realized we left them there. Either way, I'll tell Ms. Wagner ASAP and have her pay him and have him FedEx them over here (they're the middle school buzzers, ours don't work well enough for competition)
Yes, they're sitting in Northtown's office, and probably in Coach Allen's room. I brought it to their attention.

MissCae

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by MissCae »

The give and take round consists of 4 sets of 4 questions. Each set has a category, such as a year, person, place, etc. The 4 questions have point values of 5, 10, 15, and 20 points. The team that is behind heading into the give and take round gets first choice. They choose the set they want to take as well as the set they want to give to the other team. The questions do not rebound. After the first two sets have been read (one to each team), the score is checked and the team that is behind (could be the same team, could be the other team) gets to choose which set they want from the remaining two. Also, the team gets 5 seconds to answer the 5 point question, 10 seconds for the 10 point question, etc. I noticed that most of the sets were humanities based (history, art, geography), and I don't remember there being any literature sets, at least not in the JV rooms. It's something new and it worked pretty well, but I heard some teams complaining about it, and if I were playing, I'd want it to rebound.

Also, Benton has a team? As in Benton High School in St. Joe? That's amazing considering some of the classes I observed there for my education minor. I didn't think any of the St. Joe schools besides LeBlond and St. Joe Christian had teams.

East Buc & UMR

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Thanks for explaining

DavidH

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by DavidH »

Melissa is right... Lafayette, Benton and Central have no quiz bowl team. Central has a team that does the Knowledge Master, but other than that... nothing. St. Joe is pretty dead for academic events in general... their debate is ok, but nothing compared to the Kansas City giants.

flycaitiee69

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by flycaitiee69 »

that give and take really annoyed me.
i detest change.
this was my first varsity tournament.
i was on team "x" aka the post thanksgiving leftovers.
we um weren't very good.
but, we won a game.
which was, really, sort of sad.
poor team we beat.
poor william chrisman.
hahaha.

:D

East Buc & UMR

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by East Buc & UMR »

So we played Benton in the morning round and played a terrible game...but evidently they're a completely new team and we still beat them pretty badly.
Looks like they had a team there today

DavidH

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by DavidH »

whoa... I just now read that after seeing your last post. Thats news to me. I guess that's good news. Hopefully we'll get to play them often and maybe they'll get good.

DavidH

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by DavidH »

I'm going to bed now. (worthless post)

East Buc & UMR

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I guess I'm the only one on here the reads Jimmy's posts ::sigh::

East Buc & UMR

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Night david..........................Night John Boy

jkath29

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by jkath29 »

Wait a second, Barstow tied for 3rd? Can someone give me a scouting report on them, because this sounds very impressive.

Or, is this information misleading, i.e. only 3 good teams at the tournament, and Barstow just happened to be the best of the bad?

DavidH

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by DavidH »

Barstow got lucky and played pud teams in the morning and got a by to the semifinals... so they basically got a free ride to 3rd place. DOn't worry, I'm sure that Richland will be able to handle Barstow easily.

JimmyL

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by JimmyL »

Ok, we played Barstow twice (or mabye it was just once...) at Lee's Summit. They definitely weren't very impressive; we beat them fairly easily even though we werent playing our best. Uh...judging from Saturday, Mound City was pretty amazing...and Truman wasn't bad either (we saw them play Mound City in a relatively close game).

thanks for informing mr. allen about our buzzers, kyle.

L-Town Expatriate

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

MissCae wrote: Also, Benton has a team? As in Benton High School in St. Joe? That's amazing considering some of the classes I observed there for my education minor. I didn't think any of the St. Joe schools besides LeBlond and St. Joe Christian had teams.
It was Belton. I scorekept that match first round.

I half-anticipate starting up a team at one of the three St. Joe public schools before assuming a role in Liberty (hopefully HSII) indefinitely. Could be a good task for both of us (you can take Central, I'll work with Lafayette since a former(?) MASC president's there) when we start teaching.

L-Town Expatriate

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

MissCae wrote: It was a well-ran tournament, except that I had to moderate, call, time, and scorekeep for a few rounds by myself. Thanks, Kyle, for keeping time and scoring for me during the last round.
You're welcome.

MissCae

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by MissCae »

I really don't think the St. Joe public schools could support quiz bowl teams. They usually only played in the Missouri Western history bowl and were pretty marginal. I'm sure some students would play, but like most large schools, sports is the number one thing. Combine that with the fact that I don't want to teach in the St. Joe school district, and I doubt they'll have teams anytime soon.

LibertyMarie

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by LibertyMarie »

Another NKC result is that my team now refers to me as Jimmy's #1 groupie.

I was on Team X, too. It's nice to be appreciated by my team :huh:...although it was fun when Caitlin and I had the Fort Osage bois we were with convinced that we're twins, lmao

JimmyL

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by JimmyL »

oh...belton, not benton. my bad.

L-Town Expatriate

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

LibertyMarie wrote: Another NKC result is that my team now refers to me as Jimmy's #1 groupie.

I was on Team X, too. It's nice to be appreciated by my team :huh:...although it was fun when Caitlin and I had the Fort Osage bois we were with convinced that we're twins, lmao
If that's the case, Jeff should be making you carry our courtwarming picture together to remind you where your true loyalties should be.

Odd, I'm asking my little brother to be Big Brother, if he isn't already. :lol:

L-Town Expatriate

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

MissCae wrote: I really don't think the St. Joe public schools could support quiz bowl teams. They usually only played in the Missouri Western history bowl and were pretty marginal. I'm sure some students would play, but like most large schools, sports is the number one thing. Combine that with the fact that I don't want to teach in the St. Joe school district, and I doubt they'll have teams anytime soon.
So noted.

I asked Ms. Camp where she expects to be when the second high school opens up in 2010, and (seeing as we don't pass a bond to build the school for at least another year) no definitive answer. With KLPS AND The Bell winning Pacemakers, if Sparks-Woodward (the Bell's adviser) remains in the district I get the feeling I'll be teaching at my alma mater. It'll be pretty weird, but at least my sister will have graduated LHS.

East Buc & UMR

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by East Buc & UMR »

WTC are you talking about kyle?

LibertyMarie

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by LibertyMarie »

WTC are you talking about kyle?
It's a question we all must ask at times, Bill...

MoundCityBMW...T

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by MoundCityBMW...T »

We played great except for the third round. We overestimated William Chrisman...They had a "smart" sounding school name (like a private school) and I think they got like 2 toss ups. Park Hill was o.k. We played like Sh*t against Barstow. it wasn't even funny...we got 11 on the worksheet...it was embarrassing...We turned around and beat Truman by about 40 or 60. We then played Parkway and the end score doesn't do the match justice. It was a really good match (tied in the middle of the fourth quarter) Then they got like 7 out of the last 8 tossups to run away with it. Anyway yeah....

L-Town Expatriate

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

MoundCityBMW...T wrote: We played great except for the third round. We overestimated William Chrisman...They had a "smart" sounding school name (like a private school) and I think they got like 2 toss ups. Park Hill was o.k. We played like ---- against Barstow. it wasn't even funny...we got 11 on the worksheet...it was embarrassing...We turned around and beat Truman by about 40 or 60. We then played Parkway and the end score doesn't do the match justice. It was a really good match (tied in the middle of the fourth quarter) Then they got like 7 out of the last 8 tossups to run away with it. Anyway yeah....
William Chrisman!? Yeah... when we played them in quads my senior year they had no idea how to run a tournament. Their coach told timekeepers to give everyone as much as a minute for math.

Hope I don't have to prop their program up...

flycaitiee69

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by flycaitiee69 »

With KLPS AND The Bell winning Pacemakers
yes, let's all focus on the fact that the bell and klhs won awards....nevermind that the lovely SPECTATOR staff won...well, not sure what, exactly, but SOMETHING recently....
honestly, kyle.
<_<

L-Town Expatriate

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

flycaitiee69 wrote:
With KLPS AND The Bell winning Pacemakers
yes, let's all focus on the fact that the bell and klhs won awards....nevermind that the lovely SPECTATOR staff won...well, not sure what, exactly, but SOMETHING recently....
honestly, kyle.
<_<
It wasn't the most prestigious award in scholastic publications, though.

JimmyL

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by JimmyL »

We then played Parkway and the end score doesn't do the match justice. It was a really good match (tied in the middle of the fourth quarter) Then they got like 7 out of the last 8 tossups to run away with it.
Yea, I agree. The game was very very intense.

Hey, just wondering...which of the players are you, MoundcityBMW?

LibertyMarie

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by LibertyMarie »

We overestimated William Chrisman
Yeah...Team X beat them. It was kind of sad.

Ramza Goltana

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by Ramza Goltana »

Why did I go to NKC? I had heard that there was gonna be a lot of Simpsons question, where were they? I didn't even here a single allusion to any Fox TV animated series all day. I am really dissapointed. Next time I travel halfway across the state to answer nonexistant Simpsons questions, I want ca$h money. By the way, who was that dumb kid with the dumb pinwheel? What a geekanerd.

L-Town Expatriate

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Ramza Goltana wrote: Why did I go to NKC? I had heard that there was gonna be a lot of Simpsons question, where were they? I didn't even here a single allusion to any Fox TV animated series all day. I am really dissapointed. Next time I travel halfway across the state to answer nonexistant Simpsons questions, I want ca$h money. By the way, who was that dumb kid with the dumb pinwheel? What a geekanerd.
Umm... receiving cash prizes or any sort of prize that's not symbolic or exceeds $25 in cash value is grounds for ineligibility - statewide, all activities. Not going to happen.

Who was that guy, I wonder... he looked stylish in his thick undercoat and that crazy pinwheel he swiped from somewhere. I forgot where he said where...

MoundCityBMW...T

NORTHTOWN RESULTS

Post by MoundCityBMW...T »

Moundcitybmw...t=Brandon Thomas. I was the one sitting on the far right.