Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2015 NAQT SSNCT - April 24-26 in Atlanta

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

2015 NAQT SSNCT - April 24-26 in Atlanta

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The 2015 NAQT SSNCT will be April 24-26 at the Hilton Atlanta. This tournament is open to schools that meet NAQT's definition of a small school and have qualified at an NAQT tournament in the regular season. Please note that since this tournament falls between Districts and Memorial Day weekend, schools that attend this tournament may not attend any other tournament (other than Sectionals/State) during that time, and this must be your only tournament during the season outside the 250 mile radius.

The field is here.

Missouri teams registered
Gainesville
Hallsville
Richland
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: updated

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Re: 2015 NAQT SSNCT - April 24-26 in Atlanta

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Super excited to see both Hallsville and Richland in the field for this!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The format for the 60 team tournament has been finalized:
On Saturday, the 60 teams will be divided into six preliminary brackets of 10 teams each. Each of those brackets will play a round-robin schedule (9 games). Each team will also have 1 bye round on Saturday. Every team with a winning record (5–4 or better) will advance to Sunday playoffs.

On Sunday, the playoff teams will play an elimination tournament; either 8 or 9 rounds will be played, depending on whether the champion finishes with a playoff loss or not.

If 32 or fewer teams advance to Sunday's competition, then the playoffs will be double-elimination for all teams. If 33 or more teams advance, then those that finished exactly 5–4 on Saturday will start in the one-loss bracket (so a single loss would eliminate them).

The playoff pairings will be posted by 7:00 a.m. at the Information Desk.
Looks like we will once again have three representatives from Missouri: Gainesville, Hallsville, and Richland. Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Saturday Schedule

Assuming I read the schedule correctly, here are the schedules for Missouri's teams.

Gainesville:
West Point B
Westmont Hilltop
BASIS Scottsdale A
Athens
Huntington
Cordova A
Baconton Charter
East Palestine
bye
White Cloud

Hallsville:
Little Axe
East Clinton
Geneva
Greenville Tech
Camp Hill
Piketon
Ashville
North White
Danville
bye

Richland:
North Miami
Lakeland
Smithville (OH) A
Riverton
bye
Lewisville
Benjamin Logan
Good Hope
Cooperstown
Itawamba Agricultural A

I am actually here in Atlanta staffing this weekend. We had Hallsville teams in 4 of our 7 scrimmage games last night, including an exciting 500-360 Hallsville A win over Glasgow.

Off to the staff meeting!

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Results are being posted on a turnaround/delay of about 30 minutes:
Hallsville
Richland
Gainesville
All teams

(I'm following along from the rainy realms of the Magic City.)

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Hallsville and Richland clinch playoff berths in the minimum needed rounds, both still undefeated (6-0 and 5-0 respectively). Gainesville on the precipice after loss #4.

L-Town Expatriate

Six teams are undefeated at the end of Saturday. Two are from the Show-Me State.

Cue the Waltz

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

So impressed by these two teams right now! Y'all doing MO proud!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Congratulations to Hallsville and Richland for sweeping their preliminary pools with 9-0 records! The tremendous efforts of these talented students makes Missouri the only state with two undefeated teams going into Sunday's playoff rounds! Hallsville's Jared Lockwood and Josh Null both finished in the top 10 individually, and Richland's Trent Homan was close behind at #15 of 329 participating students!

Hallsville is the overall #1 seed and Richland #6 in the 28-team double elimination playoffs tomorrow. I'm super excited to see how far each of these teams will go - let's make it an all Missouri final!

Gainesville finished with a 3-6 record and will not advance to the playoffs, but it looks like they have signed up to play consolation rounds tomorrow.

Great job, everyone!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

The magic begins at 7:30 our time, results should come in around 8ish. I plan to follow on this link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... view?pli=1#

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Huge thanks to Jeff Hill for livetweeting this! The last several rounds including an absolutely EPIC comeback against Glasgow (KY) he gave us toss up by toss up updates as is his style. It definitely provided me with lots of entertainment at work today!

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

scphilli wrote:Huge thanks to Jeff Hill for livetweeting this! The last several rounds including an absolutely EPIC comeback against Glasgow (KY) he gave us toss up by toss up updates as is his style. It definitely provided me with lots of entertainment at work today!
Seconding this; it was really cool to be able to follow the games question-by-question like that.

L-Town Expatriate

scphilli wrote:Huge thanks to Jeff Hill for livetweeting this! The last several rounds including an absolutely EPIC comeback against Glasgow (KY) he gave us toss up by toss up updates as is his style. It definitely provided me with lots of entertainment at work today!
Thirded, though my math got off and I was briefly under the weather from caffeine-deprived eye strain.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

A huge congratulations to Hallsville for their well-earned second place finish! They finished the weekend with an outstanding 13-2 record, only being defeated by the tournament champions Harmony Science North Austin in two games, each within a one tossup/bonus swing. The comeback attempt in the first Harmony game that fell just short and the epic comeback against Glasgow to overcome a 160 point deficit by answering 11 of the final 13 tossups were two of the most exciting halves of quizbowl I have ever watched. It has been a blast watching this team develop over the last 3+ seasons into the talented players they have become. Looking forward to another great run at HSNCT!

Another big congratulations to Richland for finishing the preliminary rounds undefeated and finishing the tournament at 11-2 and tied for 11th place in their first nationals appearance! This team has always been impressive in the Missouri tournaments I have read for them, and I look forward to seeing more Richland teams at future national tournaments to continue the legacy of Missouri's most successful Class 2 program.

I also have to give a shout out to the Gainesville team for their respectable 3-6 performance (finishing 43/60) in what might have been their first ever straight tossup/bonus tournament... and it was on the clock, too! They convincingly earned their first victory in their round 4 game, which I was pleased to witness as the scorekeeper. Hopefully we will see them become more active in tournaments next season as a result of this experience.

Thanks to all of these teams for proving to the nation once again that Missouri is one of the best places for small schools to excel at academic competitions, and good luck at Sectionals next Wednesday!