Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

MARS I at Fort Osage Spring Tournament - Feb. 28

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Lakeland Scholar Bowl

MARS I at Fort Osage Spring Tournament - Feb. 28

Post by Lakeland Scholar Bowl »

Multiple Answer Responses Suggested (MARS) I at FORT OSAGE HS - Feb. 28

Fort Osage High School is pleased to announce the 1st annual MARS I Spring tournament to be held at Fort Osage High School on February 28, 2015. This tournament will be run in the twenty tossup/bonus format. Matches will consist of 20 tossups with 3 part rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. We will be using the Maggie Walker GSAC set (details about the set are below), which will be mirrored at Helias High School in Jefferson City on Feb. 28th and Oakville High School on March 28th. If you are scheduled to attend either of these tournaments, you will not be able to attend this tournament. The set is not powermarked, and we will not have “negs” either.

4/4 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/1 World/Ancient)
4/4 Science (1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Other)
4/4 History (1/1 American, 1/1 European, 1/1 World, 1/1 Ancient/Modern (post-1945))
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Visual Art, 1/1 Music, 1/1 Other)
2/2 Religion, Mythology
1/1 Trash
.5/.5 Social Science
.5/.5 Philosophy
.5/.5 Geography
.5/.5 Current events and Civics

We will divide the field into preliminary pools that will each play a round robin in the morning, after which all teams will be rebracketed into playoff and consolation pools for the afternoon. After the playoffs, the top teams could play a one or two game championship final depending on playoff standings. All teams will be guaranteed approximately 9 matches throughout the day. Round 1 will begin by 9 AM and we anticipate finishing the afternoon rounds around 4:00 PM with the top couple of teams potentially playing one or two more matches after that. In order to provide the best experience and maximum playing time to all participants, teams are expected to play all of their scheduled matches. Please be sure that you fully understand the time frame before registering.

We will be limiting teams to a maximum of 6 players, so if you have more players, we encourage you to sign up more than one team. Due to space and staffing considerations, we will limit the field to a maximum of 18 teams. This is one of the only KC-area Scholar Bowl tournaments in the month of February, so demand should be high. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Fees:
Base fee (first team from each school): $60
Second or subsequent teams: $55
Travel discount (100 miles or more one way): -$10
Buzzer discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 per school): -$5

To register, please e-mail me jmalecki@fortosage.net to reserve your spot.

Lakeland Scholar Bowl

Re: MARS I at Fort Osage Spring Tournament - Feb. 28

Field List (17/18)

St. Pius X (2)
Wellington-Napoleon (1)
LS West (1)
Lone Jack (2)
Oak Park (1)
Holden (1)
LS North (2)
Lee's Summit HS (2)
Park Hill (1)
ND de Sion (1)
Grain Valley (1)
Butler (2)

Waitlist:

Lakeland Scholar Bowl

Re: MARS I at Fort Osage Spring Tournament - Feb. 28

We ended up with a field of 14 for this tournament after weather threats. We were able to complete 4 rounds of a 7 round preliminary, before teams had to leave because of the thickening snowfall. We took the 4 remaining undefeated teams (1, Grain Valley, had to leave at noon) and played a short playoff round of brackets to determine a champion. Here are the results:

1st - St. Pius X A
2nd - LS North A
3rd - Park Hill
4th - St. Pius X B

Stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2904/

All in all, the tournament went well considering the unfortunate circumstances. Thanks to Jeffrey Hill for helping me when we had to scramble to find a satisfactory conclusion to this event.

Fort Osage is hopeful to host 2 Varsity, and maybe a JV tournament next year. Hopefully, we can draw some teams from outstate!!