Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Camdenton (MS, elementary) - 21-2-2015

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
cjl78

Camdenton (MS, elementary) - 21-2-2015

Post by cjl78 »

Welcome back to school, ladies and gentlemen! I am happy to announce the 2nd Camdenton Laker Bowl on February 21, 2015!

There will be a middle school division (7th/8th grade teams from MSHSAA-affiliated schools) and one for students in the sixth grade or below. Rosters shall be limited to 8 players and we request that you limit teams to six players so as to maximize playing time for all students.

We will have trophies for 1st-3rd place teams and medals for individual students who make all-tournament team honors.

We will use NAQT's MS-12 question set for both divisions. Games in the MS division will consist of twenty ten-point tossups and up to twenty three-part, thirty-point rebounding bonuses. Games in the elementary division will consist of sixteen ten-point tossups and up to sixteen three-part, thirty point rebounding bonuses. I will slightly modify the questions for the latter division to make them more accessible for younger players. All teams will be guaranteed at least seven matches regardless of performance.

The initial field cap will be set at 12 teams for both divisions. We would love to expand the caps as interest and staffing* permits.

We are also starting a high school team in Camdenton this year (yay!) and would consider adding a JV (9th/10th grade) division if interest and staffing permits as well, so please let me know if that would be of interest to you.

Entry fees are as follows:

Base fee (first team from each school): $60
All subsequent teams: $50
Travel discount (100 miles or more one way): -$5 per team
Buzzer discount (lockout system, must work for eight players): -$5
Experienced moderator* discount: -$10, lunch for moderator

*As a 2nd year school to quiz bowl, we have a relative shortage of experienced moderators. Please let me know if you have experienced moderators; we would love to have them!

Feel free to email me with any questions or comments at cluetkemeyer@camdentonschools.org

cjl78

Re: Camdenton (MS, elementary) - 21-2-2015

Post by cjl78 »

MS Field (17-18):
Camdenton (2-3)
Washington (2)
Osage (2)
Richland (2)
Hallsville (2)
Clever (2)
Pilot Grove (2)
Tuscumbia (1)
Buffalo (2)

Elementary Field (11-12):
Camdenton (2-3)
Washington (3)
Osage (1)
Pilot Grove (3)
Hallsville (2)

Buzzers:
camdenton 2
washington 3
clever 2
tuscumbia 1
hallsville 2
pilot grove 1
helias 1
cav lutheran 1
st. e 1

Moderators:
Hallsville 2-3
Washington 1
Last edited by cjl78 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:54 am, edited 20 times in total.

cjl78

Post by cjl78 »

And fairly quickly, both fields are full (for now) and waitlists started.

I hope to be able to expand the fields, but that all depends on available staffing, so be sure to let me know if you can supply a moderator or 2.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

C.J., tentatively count me in to staff. Don't know my work or track schedules yet but assuming I am free, I'll help you out.

cjl78

Post by cjl78 »

It looks like we'll be able to find enough staff, so we have raised the field to 18 in both divisions, including all previously waitlisted teams.

cjl78

Post by cjl78 »

This tournament was rescheduled for Saturday, March 28 and the championship rounds and final placements were:

MS:
1st: Hallsville A (aka Samuel Lockwood)
2nd: Washington A
3rd: Buffalo A
4th: Tuscumbia

Elementary:
1st: Washington A
2nd: Hallsville A
3rd: Washington B
4th: Osage

Stats from the preliminary rounds can be found at this link.
I'll finish the full stats soon.

I want to give a special thanks to David Dennis, Scott Allen, Eldon Haun, Lori Lockwood, Glen Decker, and Jared Lockwood for helping staff... we wouldn't have been able to do it without you!

And a very special thanks to Linda Derendinger and the Pilot Grove bus driver (forgot his name) for "rescuing" Hallsville!