Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Team Rankings and Individual All-State teams

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
bruins4life

Team Rankings and Individual All-State teams

Post by bruins4life »

Hey all that read this board. I know Charlie (or maybe someone else) used to do end of the year rankings for the state of Missouri. Since all but Nationals are finished, I'd like to start this process (if no one else was planning on doing it).

Also, I think it would be neat to create to vote on the top 12 or 16 players in the state for 1st and 2nd team All-State plus an Honorable mention. Again, there is a bit of an art to this because, likely for the Honorable Mention group, its not just who has the highest PPG, but how s/he may have contributed alongside an exceptional player--along with how well s/he might have done head to head against players with higher PPG on less quality teams.

I know our MOQBA gents do something like this process to select Team Missouri for NASAT, so maybe they can help start this process.

Thoughts?

scphilli

Re: Team Rankings and Individual All-State teams

Post by scphilli »

There's already an All-State honor.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

There is, but it's limited to only those whose teams qualify to attend state. It's certainly possible that there are players who would qualify as "all-state" under Greg's plan whose teams get knocked out in districts or sectionals.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I get that. I still don't especially feel comfortable with rating individuals against one another in this way. It just seems sort of unseemly especially when you take ppg out if it. It's one thing to rank teams because we have a plethora of objective criteria (wins, ppg, ppb, difficulty of sets played on) but this sounds like it could turn into a ridiculous and unnecessary beauty pageant fairly fast.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I have to agree with Sean in that it would be quite subjective. However, it wouldn't be the only instance. Might I suggest purloining a page (er, tome) from the Wisden's Cricketers Almanack and that there be compiled, by a grouping of persons with ample experience and expertise, a listing of five quiz bowlers of the year so selected for their "influence on the previous [Missouri] season"?

(Also, in line with Wisden's, no one could be selected more than once, with rare and most notable exceptions.)

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

How about we just let the idea die the natural death it deserves and let it go?

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

I'm not trying to get as obfuscated at Cooperstown, but MOQBA does have a separate state tournament. However, some of the best teams and players were unable to attend. Obviously, there can be objective measures like how many all-tournament teams... I was thinking the top teams two of all-state students would be fairly obvious based on PPG, but students who are playing alongside an exceptional player COULD get consideration alongside a player with a more impressive PPG. Especially if the two played each a couple of times and the student with less PPG clearly outperformed the higher in head-to-head matches. It sounds like you all don't want to do this, so that's fine; but MSHSAA All-State is not a true All-State. NAQT State is generally the best, but was too sparsely attended this year, imho, to be considered accurate. I'm really not trying to make this a beauty contest, but a cool honor for students from a group that our QB community respects greatly.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

Are you still planning on doing a ranking of the ten best teams, coach Irwin? If not, I can tally up votes if there's enough interest in an end-of-season poll.

Moltkes_Helmet

Post by Moltkes_Helmet »

I'd be pretty interested in some form of end of the year team ranking