Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Rock Bridge WIT III

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
bruins4life

Rock Bridge WIT III

Post by bruins4life »

Rock Bridge High School is excited to announce the third annual WIT (Winter Invitational Tournament) using a Varsity NAQT question set (Invitational Series #132). Rock Bridge will host the tournament on Saturday, December 7th, 2013 at RBHS in Columbia, MO. This tournament will be for Varsity teams, but you are more than welcome to bring B- or C- teams of Junior Varsity players. We’ll run the standard round robin for the preliminary morning rounds.
We will be following the 20/20 Tossups/Bonus model, similar to Mizzou tournaments and our previous tournaments. This allows us to play the most number of games possible, so be prepared for a two full round robins in the morning and afternoon with an advantaged final to decide the champion. The top scorers will be recognized with a classic novel of their choosing, and we will post stats at http://hsquizbowl.org/db/.
Registration will begin at 8:15AM in the North Commons. NOTE this is different than in years’ past. We will be playing in the downstairs area, as there will be a morning event in our usual area of the building—the event is called Breakfast with Santa, so Rock Bridge will be festive (and packed) in the morning. The tournament will commence as close to 9AM as possible. We’re hoping to end the tournament between 4 and 5PM, as usual.

Fees:
Base fee for the first team from each school: $70
Second or subsequent teams: $60
Travel discount for 100 miles or more one way: -$5 per team
Buzzer discount (buzzers must be functional): -$5 for each buzzer system
Experienced Moderator discount (upon approval -$20

Right now, the field is capped at 32 teams, so register soon to guarantee your spot. Email me at girwin@columbia.k12.mo.us to reserve your spot(s), and we can finalize how many teams you will bring. We look forward to seeing you in December. Also, we will be running a Junior Varsity tournament on February 8th, So you can put that on your calendars, as well.

All the Best,
Greg Irwin
Last edited by bruins4life on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruins4life

Re: Rock Bridge WIT III

Post by bruins4life »

Field Update: 24/24 Spots reserved
Centralia 1
CIS 1
Clopton (dropped)
Clayton (dropped)
Hallsville 3
Heartland 1
Helias 3
Hickman 3
Jeff City 1
Ladue 4
Melville 1
NKC 3
Parkway W. (dropped)
Schuyler Co 1
TJ (dropped)
Tolton 1
Warrenton 1
Waynesville (dropped/snow)
Last edited by bruins4life on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'll probably be free to staff this if you'd like my help. I'll let you know closer to the date.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Depending on my work schedule, I'll be able to help staff. If I have to leave early, I'll have a capable sub.

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

Excellent! Thanks for the offers gents, your expertise is always welcome.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I can see if I can work a little magic and staff this too.

christino

Post by christino »

Will this tournament be adhering to NAQT rules, or using 20 point powers with no negs?

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

bump for one more spot!!

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Can you put Oakville on a wait list? One buzzer.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

(I'm going to put on my tournament director hat for this post)

Also, just a reminder to anybody who is unable to make it out to either Rock Bridge or North Kansas City, Truman State will also be hosting a high school tournament on March 22 using the same question set (NAQT's IS 132). We'd certainly love to see you here if you can't make a closer use of the set!

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

I retract my previous statement. We cannot get on waitlist at this point because we need to reserve a bus three weeks out and we have passed that deadline.

L-Town Expatriate

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Depending on my work schedule, I'll be able to help staff. If I have to leave early, I'll have a capable sub.
I can confirm that I'll be able to work this tournament in its entirety. Throw in a Mizzou victory tomorrow night and Zaxby's deciding when the heck they're hatching their store across the highway (yes, they call grand openings "hatchings") and I'll be one ecstatic camper.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:I'll probably be free to staff this if you'd like my help. I'll let you know closer to the date.
I'm currently uncertain about this. I just discovered an issue with my car that basically makes my two rear tires lose air anytime I drive long distance. I should be able to say yes or no tomorrow.

EDIT: I am coming to staff. I assume you want us there by 8-8:30?
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I can't make this either due to work. Hope it goes well!

biofantic

Post by biofantic »

Can we please have specifics regarding this tournament? Nothing has been posted and it's this weekend.

L-Town Expatriate

biofantic wrote:Can we please have specifics regarding this tournament? Nothing has been posted and it's this weekend.
What needs clarified from the original post & list of teams?

Unrelated question: Coach Dennis' post in the thread for his tournament does raise something probably worth mentioning. While it appears that Columbia won't get a lot of snow (I doubt any), what provisions are in place to account for teams snowed in and/or if snow does show up before Mizzou Football brings the SEC title from Atlanta?

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

Yeah it's still happening.We've had 9 cancellations, so we added Hickman C, and a couple of teams can scrounge up another, if needs be.

I emailed all the coaches with the specifics earlier in the week. Everything should be good to go.

We decided on 20 point powers with no negs. No bounceback bonuses.

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

Statistics:

Prelims http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
Combined http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/

Congrats to Ladue for finishing the day undefeated by beating Hickman A-ish in the advantaged final.
Hickman A-ish and B-ish earned 2nd and 3rd.
Hallsville A earned 4th in some hard fought matches.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Stats issues: we heard two toss ups vs. Ladue B, Warrenton heard zero against CIS, and Helias A heard 200 against NKC B, and Tolton vs. Heartland is missing.