Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Mizzou Tournaments in the 2012-13 Season: Free to new teams

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Charlie Dees

Mizzou Tournaments in the 2012-13 Season: Free to new teams

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hello everyone,

The University of Missouri Quizbowl Club has some announcements to make about our upcoming tournaments this season. We will be running our usual slate of 3 events throughout the year. However, we have some new pricing announcements. Foremost, we have reduced the entry costs for every team by $10, so now, base fees will be $60. We will also be offering further discounts for teams who are new to Mizzou events and to MOQBA events. Our events have consistently been attracting the top teams in the state ever since we began running them, with Ladue, North Kansas Cith, Rock Bridge, Clayton, and many other excellent teams from all corners of the state having routinely made the trip to MU in the past. Read below for more details:

October 20th: The 2012 Missouri Fall Academic Tournament. This is our longest running event, and has served as a season kickoff event for many great teams. This tournament is always run on an NAQT Invitational Series, which are the same writing style as the questions used at MSHSAA state. The format will be 20 tossup matches, with each tossup having 15 point powers and -5 point penalties, and each tossup having a 30 point rebounding bonus attached. Last year we had 32 teams attend, and this year the tournament will have a 36 team cap. Most importantly, if your program did not play an event affiliated with the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance in the last year, your entry will be 100% free! That's right, free! If you are on a team that did play MOQBA events, but have never gone to any tournament run at MU since we restarted the club in 2008, we will still give you a $20 discount on your entry. These discounts also apply to out of state teams, so if you've never traveled to Missouri before, now's a great time to try it!

December 1st: Tiger Bowl V. This tournament has been our largest over the past 2 years, attracting 36 teams last year, and we will have a 36 team cap on this event again. Like in years past, we will be using a set written by the company HSAPQ. This tournament uses the official rules of the PACE National Scholastics Championship, meaning that there are 20 tossup games, with each tossup having 20 point powers, no penalties, and 30 point rebounding bonuses. We will have the exact same discounts for this event as for Missouri Fall: Teams who did not play any MOQBA event in the 2011-12 season gets to enter for FREE! Teams who did play MOQBA events but haven't been to any Mizzou event in the past will get a $20 discount.

February 2nd: 4th Annual Mort Walker Invitational. This tournament is a mirror of a housewritten set that has been written by Maggie Walker Governor's School in the past. We will probably use the same set again this year (but that's not confirmed yet). This tournament uses official ACF rules, meaning the games have no powers, do have -5 point penalties, and have nonrebounding bonuses. This tournament is a little smaller, with us running it at 24 teams last year, and we would like to keep it at the same size this year. There won't be any special discounts for this event because it is smaller, but we still hope to see teams making it out, because the smaller field did help make this event really competitive.

Also, MU's campus will be hosting the NAQT State tournament and Pre-Nationals tournaments again, but these events are not run by MU's team. If you attended either of those events in the past, but not any of the three annual events our club runs, you are still eligible for the $20 discount at Mizzou Fall and Tiger Bowl.

For more info about these tournaments, or to register, email MizzouQuizbowl@gmail.com.

I hope to see all of our regulars back, and I especially hope to see new faces taking advantage of these offers to get to play some more great quizbowl against the best teams in Missouri.

Charlie Dees

Re: Mizzou Tournaments in the 2012-13 Season: Free to new teams

Post by Charlie Dees »

St. John's registered 2 teams for Tiger Bowl, making this the first time a national champion at PACE or NAQT nationals has attended a Mizzou event.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I am excited to hear about this offer. I've forwarded this thread to a few coaches I know in my neck of the woods. Hopefully their schedules and travel budgets allow participating, as it will be very much worth their while.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:I am excited to hear about this offer. I've forwarded this thread to a few coaches I know in my neck of the woods. Hopefully their schedules and travel budgets allow participating, as it will be very much worth their while.
Just because I'm not clear, where are you these days Kyle?

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

scphilli wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:I am excited to hear about this offer. I've forwarded this thread to a few coaches I know in my neck of the woods. Hopefully their schedules and travel budgets allow participating, as it will be very much worth their while.
Just because I'm not clear, where are you these days Kyle?
Still in Northwest Arkansas, within ample earshot of the Missouri and Oklahoma lines.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

February 2nd's Mort Walker Invitational will be run again on Maggie Walker High School's GSAC tournament.