Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2012 Nationals predictions and discussion

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

2012 Nationals predictions and discussion

Post by Charlie Dees »

Let's talk nationals everybody!

Mickey0R0urke

Re: 2012 Nationals predictions and discussion

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I think Ladue will finish in the Top 10 at HSNCT, and at least that high (if not in the top 4) at NSC. Rock Bridge could possibly make the championship bracket at NSC depending on their bracket (I'm thinking 3-2 at the least).

Mound City and Pilot Grove are my predictions for the small school playoffs (especially after Paul's performance on Prison Bowl). Savannah, NKC, and Helias also make the HSNCT playoffs.

I haven't really seen the other teams on good questions consistently, so I have no idea how they will perform.
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Tue May 15, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

If you ain't first, you're last.

PaulGrant

Post by PaulGrant »

I'm looking forward to the HSNCT. Predictions? I think Ladue, Savannah, NKC, and Helias make the "big school" playoffs. We'll probably make the small school playoffs, and Pilot Grove will too. Both our chances are increased due to the 4-6 record "rule". That's pretty much reiterates Jacob's predictions ... ah well.

Actually, I've never seen Ladue's full squad in action, but if they've improved as much as I think they have from last year, then they've got to be contending for the title.
I'll go ahead and volunteer everyone (that's not me) who likes Missouri Quiz Bowl to post videos of themselves singing the "QUIZBOWLING" song if they win.

See you all in Georgia!

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Ladue B is probably a playoff contender too.

Best of luck to everyone going this weekend, do our state proud!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

One thing I cannot stress enough to first-time nationals attenders: have fun (most important!) and make connections with other quizbowlers.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I think this is going to be the best nationals season ever for Missouri teams. We're going to see more teams than ever make the playoffs this weekend in Atlanta, I predict - Ladue A, B, Savannah, NKC, Helias, and possibly Mound City I think could all make the playoffs. I would expect Mound City, if they don't make the playoffs they should still do well enough to make the small school playoffs, where I think they're going to be in strong contention for a trophy. It looks like Macomb is obviously the strongest small school there, but Mound CIty has stats on the Prison Bowl set that show they could be competitive against most of the other small schools like Beachwood.

I expect most of the Missouri teams who do make the playoffs to go 6-4 and possibly win one or two games before getting eliminated. Unfortunately, the other teams who I didn't list I think will not do so strong. Pilot Grove I think is the best of the remaining teams and should go 5-5 and also make the small school playoffs. Unfortunately I think the rest of the teams are either inexperienced enough (such as Park Hill South, Truman, and Logan-Rogersville, a team I'm concerned might be lucky to get 2 wins since they've played no normal NAQT tournaments all year.)

Most importantly, I think we're going to see a historic performance from Ladue. I think they can go 9-1 if they get a good draw, and will get at minimum an 8-2 record. I would not be at all surprised to see Ladue make it into the finals, and if they can make it up to that point, it's totally possible for them to win. At minimum I expect them to take home a top 5 trophy. This will be such a big deal to show how much better Missouri has gotten recently - the last time a team made the top 5 at a national was NKC at PACE in 2008, and nobody from Missouri has ever placed higher than that at an HSNCT or PACE. If Ladue does as well as I think they will, they'll have the official best national performance in Missouri history.

I'm so excited to be able to staff this and root on as Missouri hopefully brings home multiple trophies.

merv1618

Post by merv1618 »

It wouldn't at all surprise me to see Ladue make top 3 at PACE, and that's including the assumption that teams like Hunter and Auburn won't choke like they did at HSNCT (notably Hunter against LASA).

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

merv1618

Post by merv1618 »

I think Clayton got a bit screwed over in the rankings since Alex didn't play PACE.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

merv1618 wrote:I think Clayton got a bit screwed over in the rankings since Alex didn't play PACE.
There's a lot of events he didn't play this year IIRC. If Clayton is going to truly challenge, they need a plan B for when he's indisposed.