Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

MSHSAA State Records and Such

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
ChippytheSavage

Re: MSHSAA State Records and Such

Post by ChippytheSavage »

We scored 300 on Centralia in the 2nd half of the 2011 Class 3 championship.
Last edited by ChippytheSavage on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:Looks like Ladue's 630 points in the semifinals sets the new semifinal match record, Class 4 record, and is second best to the long time record-holding Cuba preliminary match in 1996 by 10 points.
Our record still stands!! Woo!! :D

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Aaron Seider, Class 3, 2011, had 73 toss-ups.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Paul Grant was announced to have gotten 25 tossups per game, so that translates to 125 tossups total unless it was rounded up or down.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

I have a lot of old records from old state programs that I should probably transcribe here at some point. :D

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

This year Max got 132 tossups, Paul Grant got 127, Austin Kerns got 86, Luke Voyles of Twin Rivers got 75, Andy Muellman of Truman got 73, John Brown of TJIDS and Peter Hickman of North County got 70, and Aiden Coyle of Barstow got 68. Ladue posted scores of 610, 720, 750, 690, and 590 in the finals, for a total tally of 3,360. All the bolded parts are new records that I found, although there probably are more scoring records in the lower classes.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

So, I decided to start putting together QBWiki pages for State again, beginning with the 2012 tournament. Hopefully I didn't misread/mistype or otherwise miss anything, but I think these notable record events happened in 2012. (Remember that it's quite possible some of these were broken since then and any all-time rankings are as of 2012. Just pretend I posted this three years ago.)

Individuals
  • Ladue junior Max Schindler did not break his record of 135 total tossups from the previous year, only answering 132 tossups correctly.
  • Mound City senior Paul Grant answered 127 tossups correctly, shattering the previous Class 1 record of 89 tossups set in 2005, and fourth all-time in all classes.
  • Paul Grant is believed to have set the Class 1 single game record, as his 25.4 tossups/game average is higher than the highest known single-game total of 22 tossups, set in 2005 by A.J. Arbogast of Hume.
Single Game Scores
  • Ladue's tournament average of 672 points per game is higher than the previous single-game record of 640 points, previously set by Cuba in the first MSHSAA State Championship in 1996. (Sorry, Paul.) Ladue broke the longstanding single-game record three times, setting a new mark at 750 points (of 900 possible) in round 3.
  • Ladue once again broke the record for most points in a semifinal game with 690 (previously 630 set by Ladue the previous year).
  • Mound City's score of 530 became the highest ever score in a championship game, breaking its own previous Class 1 championship game record of 465 it set in 1998, as well as the all-class record of 495 set by North Kansas City in Class 4 in 1998. Ladue's score of 590 in the Class 4 championship game surpassed all of these records the next day.
  • Mound City's championship score of 530 tied the Class 1 record for score in any game, set by Koshkonong in a preliminary game in 2001.
  • Savannah broke the Class 3 record for most points in a championship game it previously set in 2003 and matched in 2011, with 470 points against Priory.
  • Ladue and Rock Bridge combined for 820 points (of 900 possible) in the championship game, matching the championship game record both teams set in the previous year's game.
  • Ladue and De Smet combined for 840 points in their Round 2 game, possibly setting a new combined score record for any game. The largest previous combined score I'm aware of was 830 points in a 2011 game. (I missed an 850 point game in 2011)
Team Tournament Scores
  • Ladue once again shattered the record for most points scored in the tournament with 3360 points, breaking their own record of 2840 points set the previous year. Ladue's three-game preliminary total of 2080 is also a definite record, as that average of 693.3 points per game is higher than the previous all-time single game record of 640 points. In fact, only 21 teams scored at least that many points in five games in the 16 previous state tournaments.
  • Mound City broke the Class 1 record for most points scored in the tournament with 2480, breaking their own record of 2180 points set in the first state tournament in 1996, and fifth all-time in all classes.
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Mon May 11, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add Paul Grant single-game record, retract incorrect combined score record

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Here are the rest of the new records and other notable accomplishments I've found. (Remember that any ranks, etc. are relative to the year in which they occurred)

• For the third consecutive year, Ladue set a new all-time record for most points scored with 3500, an average of 700 points per game (out of 900 possible)
  • Senior Max Schindler once again did not break the individual record he set during his sophomore year, again answering 132 tossups correctly. Thus, Mike Wehrman still holds the record for best individual performance by a senior.
  • Luke Voyles of Twin Rivers set a new Class 2 individual record with 105 tossups, surpassing the record of 95 that Jason Mueller set in 2001. This also surpasses Jimmy Li's mark of 101 tossups as the most scored by a player on a team that did not win their class. (edit: I somehow totally overlooked Chris Ottolino's 111 tossups in 2003 despite being a member of the Liberty teams that won state over those two Parkway Central teams...)
  • Max Schindler answered 32 tossups correctly in Ladue's second round game against North Kansas City, surpassing his mark of 31 set in 2011. This is the highest known individual tossup total in a single game.
  • Luke Voyles' 24 tossups in the third place game surpasses Jason Mueller's 23 tossups answered in a single game (accomplished twice in 2001), becoming the highest known individual total in a single game in Class 2.
  • Luke Schuster's 23 tossups in the 3rd round surpasses A.J. Arbogast's 22 tossups answered in a single game, becoming the highest known individual total in a single game in Class 1. (Based on his individual average, Paul Grant had to score 26 or more in at least one game in 2012.)
  • Hickman's 2440 points are 8th all time, and the most scored by any team that did not win the tournament, breaking the previous record of 2410 set by Rock Bridge in 2011.
  • Hallsville's 2340 points are 13th all time, and the most scored by a Class 3 team that did not win the tournament. Hallsville scored 200 more points than Class 3 champion Priory, but dropped the championship game by 10 points.
  • Ladue's 830 points (of 900 possible) scored against Lee's Summit West broke the single-game record of 750 set by Ladue the previous year.
  • The combined score of 860 points scored by Ladue and Lee's Summit West in Round 1 exceeded the 850 mark set by Ladue and Park Hill South in 2011. Later, in the semifinals, Hickman and Parkway West combined for 870 points, now believed to be the highest combined score in state tournament history.
  • The combined score of 860 points scored by Ladue and Hickman in the championship game set a new record for championship games.
  • Ladue set a new record for points scored in a championship game with 600, breaking the mark of 590 they set the previous year.
  • Max Schindler's 26 tossups in the championship game may be a new record by an individual. Ladue's 34 tossups answered in the championship game is also likely a new record.
  • Ladue now holds 7 of the top 8 single-game scores in tournament history, with Hickman becoming the second team to break Cuba's longstanding record of 640 points with a 660-130 win over Lee's Summit West.
  • (Assuming it didn't already happen in 2013,) Luke Voyles of Twin Rivers once again set a new Class 2 individual record with 111 tossups, surpassing his previous record of 105 set the previous year. (edit) This also tied the record for most tossups by a player not on a championship winning team in any class, previously achieved by Chris Ottolino of Parkway Central in Class 4 in 2003.
  • Thomas Jefferson's score of 550 in Round 1 broke the Class 1 record for points in a single game, previously 530 set by Koshkonong in 2001.
  • Hallsville's semifinal score of 640 against El Dorado Springs ties the Class 3 record for score in any game that stood as the record in all classes from 1996 until it was broken by Ladue multiple times in 2012.
  • Priory's score of 540 in the third place game broke the previous third place game record of 535 set by Blue Springs in 2000.
  • Richland's score of 480 set a new record in the Class 2 championship game, surpassing the record of 430 set by the 2001 Richland team.
And now for a timely celebration of this year's accomplishments!
  • Hallsville's 2610 total points set a new Class 3 record, surpassing the 2585 points Savannah scored in 2004.
  • Thomas Jefferson's 2460 points is ninth all time and was just 20 points short of the Class 1 record, but did set an overall record for most points by a team that did not win their class.
  • The single-game records in three of the four classes were broken:
    • Hallsville's 650 points in the semifinals broke Cuba's record of 640 points set in the inaugural state championship in 1996, which stood as the record in all classes for 16 years until Ladue broke it many times in 2012. Hallsville is the third school to reach 650 points in a game.
    • Richland's 590 points in round 1 broke their own Class 2 record of 550, set in 2001.
    • Thomas Jefferson broke the Class 1 single-game record for a second consecutive year with 570 points in round 2, surpassing their previous mark of 550.
Congratulations to everyone involved in breaking these records!

I've spent way too much time looking at random scores today (which is mainly what led me to identify the wrong Central in the Class 4 playoffs today :oops:), so hopefully I didn't overlook something or calculate something wrong.

These lists are definitely getting way too long. With the massive increase in scoring over the last 5 years with NAQT questions, a lot of the old records are going to end up disappearing when we prune the list. I'll try to come up with a way to shorten the lists while preserving the history of the older records.

A couple of questions:
- Does anyone have a program from this year's tournament? Is MSHSAA still including a list of records?
- It doesn't look like the 2013 All-State teams were ever posted. Does anyone have this list? (edit: got the spreadsheet, with per-game totals too!)
- In 2014, Luke Schuster was listed as 20.66 tupg. The .66 implies a divisor of 3 games, but Pilot Grove played 5 games. Did Luke only play 3 games, or is this number incorrect?
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Sat May 06, 2017 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Totally got the wrong Parkway Central player/year for the most tossups by a player on a team that didn't win their class...

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Mshsaa is not publishing records anymore. I publicly tsk tsk'ed Stacy for this upon my arrival as she was near the desk at the time. Also let's pour out a 40 shawty for the death of Jason's record...

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Jeffrey Hill wrote:67 William Gentry, St. Joseph Central, Class 4, 2015
He's a freshman. Is this the best State performance ever by a freshman?

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

If there was any doubt about who held the freshman scoring record, there isn't now! Louisiana freshman Michael Powers answered 90 tossups correctly, easily surpassing William Gentry's 67 tossups last year. I believe he is only the eighth person in state history to answer 90 or more tossups correctly as a non-senior (after Andy Wehrman 1998, Jason Mueller 2000, Adam Hill 2000, Charles Dees 2007, Max Schindler 2011 and 2012, Luke Voyles 2013, and Jared Lockwood 2014). He is also probably the first freshman ever to lead a class in scoring.

William Gentry became the ninth non-senior to answer at least that many tossups with his tournament-leading 91 tossups. He has the second most ever tossups scored by a sophomore at state, with the record being Max Schindler's all-time record of 135 in 2011. (From what I can tell, the next best sophomore performance was Ryan Manuel's 71 tossups in 1998.)

I didn't notice any other records broken this year.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Jeffrey Hill wrote:Single Match
Class 1
570 Thomas Jefferson vs. Princeton, 2nd Round, 2015
Looks like TJ just broke this record with a score of 600 in Round 1 of 2017 State!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Jeffrey Hill wrote:Individual Records
Most Correct Toss-ups Answered Tournament
All Classes
135 Max Schindler, Ladue, Class 4, 2011

Class 2
111 Luke Voyles, Twin Rivers, Class 2, 2014

Sophomore
135 Max Schindler, Ladue, Class 4, 2011
Based on the spreadsheet and Kyle's tweet indicating 24 tossups in the final, it looks like Michael Powers from Louisiana had 137 on the day and is now the all-time tournament tossups leader!

--edit--
Spreadsheet shows 25 in the final and 138 total on the day! Congratulations!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

New records based on incomplete available information
Michael's 33 tossups in Round 1 are the highest known single game total for an individual (previous known record in all classes was Max Schindler's 32 in Round 2 of the 2013 tournament; in Class 2, 24 by Luke Voyles of Twin Rivers in the 2013 third place game).

Michael's 25 tossups in the championship game are the highest known single game total for an individual in a Class 2 championship game. The highest known total prior to that was Michael's 19 last year. The highest known total in any class is Max's 26 in 2013.

Near misses
Louisiana's 2240 points throughout the tournament is second all time in Class 2. Richland's record of 2285 set in 2001 still stands. Interestingly, every other class has at least 4 teams that have surpassed the Class 2 record.

Louisiana's 560 points in Round 1 is second all time for a single game in Class 2. Richland's record of 590 was set in 2015.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Ross Simmons of Lafayette County answered 69 tossups correctly in the three preliminary rounds, which appears to set a new record for a player on a team that didn't advance to the playoff rounds. Had Lafayette County advanced to the playoffs and Ross maintained the 23 tossups/game through 5 rounds, 115 tossups would have come close to Melissa McCush's Class 3 record of 117 set in 2002.

Ross' 34 tossups in Round 3 is also the highest known total for an individual in a single game, surpassing Michael Powers' 33 tossups in a game yesterday and Melissa's 29 tossups in a Class 3 game in 2002.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I think I got all of the relevant data updated above. I definitely need to clean this up sometime - maybe I'll put the historical data somewhere else so that it's still available and then trim the list posted at the top of this thread.

The combined score of 840 (of 900 possible) by Savannah and Orchard Farm is among the highest combined game scores in state tournament history, setting a record for a Class 3 championship game, surpassing the 790 scored by Priory and Hallsville in 2013. It also appears to be the Class 3 record in any game, surpassing the 800 points scored by Priory and El Dorado Springs in the 2014 third place game.

bolshevik

Post by bolshevik »

Jeffrey Hill wrote: Ross' 34 tossups in Round 3 is also the highest known total for an individual in a single game, surpassing Michael Powers' 33 tossups in a game yesterday and Melissa's 29 tossups in a Class 3 game in 2002.
I do, however, now hold a new record - the shortest time a MSHSAA record has been held before being broken!