Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Smithville

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
DavidH

Smithville

Post by DavidH »

Well, I've been anticipating this tournament. It should be well run and have good questions as Sean Logan from Savannah's 95' 5th in the Nation team is in charge. I think the format is something like this: 1st quarter- 15 tossups worth ten points. 2nd quarter- 20 question worksheet each worth 10 points, 3rd quarter- 5 tossups with 4 part bonuses. 4th quarter- 15 twenty point tossups. Lots of points. I bet there will be lots of scores in the 5 and 6 hundreds against some of the smaller teams depending on how everything goes. Should be a pretty exciting venue.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Smithville

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

1st-Savannah
2nd-Liberty

Savannah beat us 540-385 in the final. Our overall record was 5-1 with 3210-1900 points. North Kansas City played with 3 players (Bi Jan, Taylor, and another guy whose name I forgot), but with a pretty balanced effort.

DavidH

Smithville

Post by DavidH »

What did you think of the questions?

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Smithville

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ScoBo1987 wrote: 1st-Savannah
2nd-Liberty

Savannah beat us 540-385 in the final. Our overall record was 5-1 with 3210-1900 points. North Kansas City played with 3 players (Bi Jan, Taylor, and another guy whose name I forgot), but with a pretty balanced effort.
I called Mom this afternoon. Did you guys finally play more than one Class 4 team?
There better be plenty around, because according to my math, Savannah's only 12 spots shy of returning to Class 4.

DavidH

Smithville

Post by DavidH »

I don't understand what you mean...??? rephrase

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Smithville

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: There better be plenty around, because according to my math, Savannah's only 12 spots shy of returning to Class 4.
Well, wouldn't that mean that WCA would also move to Class 4? That would be a very competitive state tournament. There'd better be enough teams

;)

School enrollments in order are below the alphabetical: http://www.mshsaa.org/News/index.asp?ID=635

Academic Competition is determined by the number of schools registered for the event. For example, if 400 teams register for AC, then each class would have 100 teams. If every team was entered, Kirksville (#153) would actually be Class 3.

Liberty is #13. WCA and Savannah are #159 and #160, respectively.

If all schools registered, the break would be at #143.

Cross Country is determined the same way, and West Plains (#94) is Class 3. That just shows you the broad range of possibilities in how classes could be determined.

DavidH

Smithville

Post by DavidH »

But what is the 12 spots shy thing about?

East Buc & UMR

Smithville

Post by East Buc & UMR »

12 more kids enroll in savannah and kyle thinks you will move up to class 4

DavidH

Smithville

Post by DavidH »

That would put Liberty and Savannah in the same district I think...

DavidH

Smithville

Post by DavidH »

That would be pretty interesting.

Jeffrey Hill

Smithville

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I don't know exactly how he got that. He must mean that whatever schools registered for the past 2 years, you were 12 away from the Class 3/4 break.

Anyway, I know Lee's Summit West (#104) will have a team, so that's one more to help us. I doubt Northeast Law and Public Service will (they were in our district the past 2 years and didn't show up either year)

I don't know any simple mathematical way to determine the ratio of above Savannah to below Savannah schools that can not participate (it's very slightly more than 1 above to 3 below), but I can give examples.

If 300 teams enter, then at least 85 teams above Savannah have to not register.
If 400 teams enter, then at least 60 teams.
If 450 teams enter, then at least 46-48 teams.
If 500 teams enter, then at least 35 teams.
If 525 teams enter, then at least 29 teams.
If 540 teams enter, then at least 25 teams.
If 544 teams enter, then at least 24 teams.
If 548 of the 572 schools entered, then all but 1 non entered schools would have to be above Savannah.

Jeffrey Hill

Smithville

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

East Buc & UMR wrote: 12 more kids enroll in savannah and kyle thinks you will move up to class 4
But the enrollments are set for the next 2 years so that cannot be changed. And he probably would have said "students" or something if it were that.

Kyle, do you have the list of all the teams that registered for 2002-03 and 2003-04? Google has all the old by-school assignments cached, but they have the current "not available" AC page.
DavidH wrote:That would put Liberty and Savannah in the same district I think...
Kyle, was Savannah in Liberty's district when they were Class 4? It looks like it, because the only year that Liberty or NKC didn't go in Class 4, Savannah did (the only year they made it in Class 4).

East Buc & UMR

Smithville

Post by East Buc & UMR »

the best way wait till MSHSAA releases the districts

Jeffrey Hill

Smithville

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

But then again, Savannah is in Class 2 cross country, so cross country assignments are nowhere near similar to 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 AC.

MissCae

Smithville

Post by MissCae »

Yes, Savannah and Liberty were in the same district when Savannah was in Class 4.

So anyway, back to the original topic: Smithville

Those of you that went, what did you think of the questions???

Jeffrey Hill

Smithville

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that once I read the MSHSAA stuff.

I personally liked the questions. They were pretty straightforward without leaving out obscure details that make better questions. (81% of the points going to any team in our games with these kind of questions is awesome; I would not say the same thing about straight-to-the-point questions)

East Buc & UMR

Smithville

Post by East Buc & UMR »

and they are class 3 in football

Jeffrey Hill

Smithville

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

East Buc & UMR wrote: and they are class 3 in football
I was trying to compare four-class activities, but it's definitely not helping.

L-Town Expatriate

Smithville

ScoBo1987 wrote: I don't know exactly how he got that.  He must mean that whatever schools registered for the past 2 years, you were 12 away from the Class 3/4 break.

Anyway, I know Lee's Summit West (#104) will have a team, so that's one more to help us.  I doubt Northeast Law and Public Service will (they were in our district the past 2 years and didn't show up either year)

I don't know any simple mathematical way to determine the ratio of above Savannah to below Savannah schools that can not participate (it's very slightly more than 1 above to 3 below), but I can give examples.

If 300 teams enter, then at least 85 teams above Savannah have to not register.
If 400 teams enter, then at least 60 teams.
If 450 teams enter, then at least 46-48 teams.
If 500 teams enter, then at least 35 teams.
If 525 teams enter, then at least 29 teams.
If 540 teams enter, then at least 25 teams.
If 544 teams enter, then at least 24 teams.
If 548 of the 572 schools entered, then all but 1 non entered schools would have to be above Savannah.
Jeff, redo the math: events with at least 514 teams break into five classes. If there were 514, obviously the gap would be too great to close to put Savannah and Liberty in the same class... until the split at the end of the decade.

And there's roughly 12 schools (more like eight or so) between Savannah and Class 4, including WCA.

Does Lee's Scummit West have a team?

Jeffrey Hill

Smithville

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:Anyway, I know Lee's Summit West (#104) will have a team, so that's one more to help us.
Read my post...

Oh, and I found a cached page of the district assignments (they didn't have the choose class 1-4 page but they have the class pages)

L-Town Expatriate

Smithville

ScoBo1987 wrote:
DavidH wrote:That would put Liberty and Savannah in the same district I think...
Kyle, was Savannah in Liberty's district when they were Class 4? It looks like it, because the only year that Liberty or NKC didn't go in Class 4, Savannah did (the only year they made it in Class 4).
Yes. I was there when Amanda Pence thought Utah had to outlaw women's suffrage in order to become a state. Savannah's only 50 minutes from home Jeff. The only way Savannah and Liberty wouldn't be in the same district is if St. Joes Benton, Lafayette and Central fielded teams! There might be enough push to place Liberty, Oak Park, Excelsior, Kearney, and/or NKC in the district that covers most of Jackson County or (dare I say it) Mid-Missouri.

L-Town Expatriate

Smithville

ScoBo1987 wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:Anyway, I know Lee's Summit West (#104) will have a team, so that's one more to help us.
Read my post...

Oh, and I found a cached page of the district assignments (they didn't have the choose class 1-4 page but they have the class pages)
Were they at LSN, or is this just a grapevine newbit?

Oh, Jeff: check on Dad's computer for a MSWord File listing my predictions for class divisions. The page breaks indicate predicted divisions between classes for the 2005-2007 seasons, and color code indicates class divisions from the past two years.

Jeffrey Hill

Smithville

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

They were at Smithville today.

==THIS POST HAS BEEN MAJORLY UPDATED==

Anyway, last year there were 99 teams in Class 4.
That means about 400 teams, which I estimated to be 60 or more teams to put Savannah in Class 4.

The smallest team still above Savannah was Mexico (#154; Kirksville's the 2nd lowest). O'Hara is now #166, the only one below Savannah.
At least 55 teams above Mexico did not participate.
At least 3 teams that were Class 3 last year are now above Mexico.

That means if the same number of teams register, around 9 above Savannah have to not register.
3 of the 4 teams between Mexico and WCA were AC registered.

So I'm calculating if the same number of schools are registered, then 7 less upper teams will push WCA over and 8 will push Savannah. Hopefully some lower teams will not participate...

;) It's way too close...

Now of course, if I studied during all this time figuring out these random numbers, I wouldn't have to worry as much about it!

;)

L-Town Expatriate

Smithville

ScoBo1987 wrote: They were at Smithville today.
Huzzah.

Oh, Bill: I hear LSW made it to the quarterfinals in football.

East Buc & UMR

Smithville

Post by East Buc & UMR »

yes they did, beating Raytown South in the sectional. They have won four game all four have been in the "playoffs" Playing against Benton on monday. However I must go with Benton, being Doc, is an a coach there. Former Teacher at EB, and Punter at Nebraska back in the day. Up to last year all our football coaches played on a D1 level. But with Doc leaving for Benton, and Coach Miller leaving to be HS prin. at Rock Port, oh well there coaching has payed off. Oh as for LSW and RS. the score at the end of reg. was 0-0, going into a field goal fest in OT. LSW won in 3OT 9-6

DavidH

Smithville

Post by DavidH »

What happened to Cameron? I saw that Lexington beat Cameron in the quarterfinals. Is Thomas slacking off or something?

Jeffrey Hill

Smithville

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I noticed that Thomas wasn't buzzing in as much as he used to. Yesterday we beat them 580-280, and at Lexington last year it was closer (450-185, but after a very rocky start; if I remember correctly, they were ahead at the end of the first quarter in last year's game) I do remember him getting a couple of art questions though... that Mona Lisa he won at ACE is helping a little.