Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by Charlie Dees »

I just found out from NAQT that MSHSAA is banning middle schools from attending the Middle School National Championship Tournament because MSHSAA won't allow teams to participate in a national event before the start of the summer, and Middle School nationals are held in late April. This is essentially the worst decision that the MSHSAA has made in recent memory, and is going to stifle the grown of our emerging serious middle school circuit and prevent any teams that want to excel from receiving national recognition. I strongly recommend people write letters to MSHSAA, their local newspapers, and state politicians about this incredibly destructive policy to convince them to rewrite the rules to allow middle schoolers to attend their national championship if they are on a team is awarded a bid.

ChippytheSavage

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by ChippytheSavage »

As host of a middle school tournament this season and former MS quiz bowl player, I would like to say I am sorely dissapointed by this decision. I will definitely have something to say to MSHSAA about this.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

ChippytheSavage wrote:I will definitely have something to say to MSHSAA about this.
That includes me as well, and MSHSAA is going to be very sorry to be hearing from me! :wink:

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

While I understand and share the feelings of outrage over this decision, I would like to point out that all communications to MSHSAA should likely be worded tactfully, although if necessarily tersely. These people are like the Bourbon rulers of France. They learn nothing and forget nothing.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Remember that what MSHSAA believes to be their trump card is "minimizing missed class time," which they conveniently forget when Rockhurst wants to play a football team in Ontario.

OK, that's apples and oranges. How far before summer is this tournament?

(edit) I'm answering my own question here. For reference, see http://naqt.com/ms/msnct/2012/details.html

NAQT's national MS tournament is April 21, a Saturday. Registration is Friday night, meaning teams would likely miss one day of class in travel, and return Sunday evening.

To be honest, I'm not as gung ho about sticking it to MSHSAA on this particular issue (end of the day, you represent a school because you attend classes at said school) but there's certainly a good faith effort on NAQT's part about minimizing class time missed.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Remember that what MSHSAA believes to be their trump card is "minimizing missed class time," which they conveniently forget when Rockhurst wants to play a football team in Ontario.

OK, that's apples and oranges. How far before summer is this tournament?

(edit) I'm answering my own question here. For reference, see http://naqt.com/ms/msnct/2012/details.html

NAQT's national MS tournament is April 21, a Saturday. Registration is Friday night, meaning teams would likely miss one day of class in travel, and return Sunday evening.

To be honest, I'm not as gung ho about sticking it to MSHSAA on this particular issue (end of the day, you represent a school because you attend classes at said school) but there's certainly a good faith effort on NAQT's part about minimizing class time missed.
Why was any of this worth a hill of beans?

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I'm sorry, I guess I meant a Hill of beans...:P

bt_green_warbler

Post by bt_green_warbler »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Registration is Friday night, meaning teams would likely miss one day of class in travel, and return Sunday evening.
Teams are welcome to register Saturday morning (if they notify us in advance), so no Missouri school would need to miss any class time at all to attend MSNCT.

L-Town Expatriate

bt_green_warbler wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:Registration is Friday night, meaning teams would likely miss one day of class in travel, and return Sunday evening.
Teams are welcome to register Saturday morning (if they notify us in advance), so no Missouri school would need to miss any class time at all to attend MSNCT.
Boom. MSHSAA better have a new valid argument, lest certain legislators find out about this…
scphilli wrote:I'm sorry, I guess I meant a Hill of beans...:P
Because beans are suppose to be good for your heart. Guards against a heart attack the next time MSHSAA does something stupid.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Is Occupy Keene Street a viable option to protest MSHSAA's draconian and archaic restrictions?

L-Town Expatriate

mujason wrote:Is Occupy Keene Street a viable option to protest MSHSAA's draconian and archaic restrictions?
I'm not sure. Occupy Eighth Street hasn't come to fruition in Bentonville.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Keep it on topic, guys.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Received word from MSHSAA (Stacy Schroeder) on this:

Teams can go if -

1. ...the NAQT sanctions the event (4.4.4). Completed sanctions are listed on our website - Davine Davis handles this process for MSHSAA. (If unsanctioned, you may not legally compete).

The event was listed as sanctioned per Davine Davis today, 3/6. It is on the sanctioned tournaments list on the MSHSAA website.

2. ...this is the ONE event (in your max of 11) you have saved as per By-Law 4.4.3.b to use after April 14.

3. ...this is the only event you will attend over 250 air miles away. Based on quick review, it appears Chicago is over the 250 air mile limit in By-Law 4.4.4.d. (Can go to only one)

If a team clears hurdles 2 and 3, you're good to go.