Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Stuff split from Interest Check: St. Charles Open 2011?

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

Stuff split from Interest Check: St. Charles Open 2011?

Post by Charlie Dees »

You couldn't even figure out the basic facts of whether you could even run the tournament before you pestered everybody and their mother to let you mirror their set? What kind of incompetent are you?

scphilli

Re: Interest Check: St. Charles Open 2011?

Post by scphilli »

ashkenaziCD wrote:What kind of incompetent are you?
I believe you just answered your own question Charlie.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

ashkenaziCD wrote:You couldn't even figure out the basic facts of whether you could even run the tournament before you pestered everybody and their mother to let you mirror their set? What kind of incompetent are you?
If I hadn't made sure a set to mirror existed in the first place, I imagine you would have been saying the exact opposite (something along the lines of "You couldn't even figure out if a set existed before planning a tournament?"), so your criticism seems a bit on the absurd side.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Charbroil wrote:
ashkenaziCD wrote:You couldn't even figure out the basic facts of whether you could even run the tournament before you pestered everybody and their mother to let you mirror their set? What kind of incompetent are you?
If I hadn't made sure a set to mirror existed in the first place, I imagine you would have been saying the exact opposite (something along the lines of "You couldn't even figure out if a set existed before planning a tournament?"), so your criticism seems a bit on the absurd side.
Also, to make your criticism even more absurd, I contacted our advisors in April and was only told of their surprise unavailability two days ago.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Not really, I understand people changing sets partway through and was willing to assume that because you were asking around, you would find something eventually, which proved to be an accurate prediction because that's usually how the world works. What isn't how the world works is people saying they are going to run a tournament when they have no rooms they are guaranteed to host it at. I literally could not fathom doing that at a Mizzou tournament.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Finally, didn't VCU announce the location of their Spring Tournament only two weeks before the actual date? (Yes, they did) I eagerly anticipate a hysterical and off base post on your part along the lines of "You couldn't even figure out where you were even running your tournament before you announced it?" in response to that.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Not really, I understand people changing sets partway through and was willing to assume that because you were asking around, you would find something eventually, which proved to be an accurate prediction because that's usually how the world works. What isn't how the world works is people saying they are going to run a tournament when they have no rooms they are guaranteed to host it at. I literally could not fathom doing that at a Mizzou tournament.
The question was actually one of whether any non-trash collegiate sets would be available before August, given that, in case you haven't noticed, Moon Pie is the only one in existance at the moment.

Also, what part of last minute notification did you not understand?

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

scphilli wrote:
ashkenaziCD wrote:What kind of incompetent are you?
I believe you just answered your own question Charlie.
Sean, I just spent the last two weeks writing 25/25 to apologize on behalf of our team for the way you flaked out of your Delta Burke assignment, then didn't tell anyone until two days* before the tournament.

* Notably, I would probably never have found out you were writing your questions if I hadn't gone to find you at work!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

What are you even talking about? Can you read? I never said anything complaining about the tournament being announced late. VCU announcing their LIST mirror 2 weeks in advance is exactly what they should have done, and which I just said you should have done, which was not say you could run the tournament until you got rooms.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

ashkenaziCD wrote:What are you even talking about? Can you read? I never said anything complaining about the tournament being announced late. VCU announcing their LIST mirror 2 weeks in advance is exactly what they should have done, and which I just said you should have done, which was not say you could run the tournament until you got rooms.
Did you even read my post? I wasn't even talking about the LIST mirror or announcing events two weeks in advance--I was talking about figuring out where to host the tournament (which presumably includes figuring out if rooms are available) two weeks in advance.

Obviously, I don't know if VCU knew it had rooms available at Collegiate School more than two weeks in advance, but if so, then not announcing that is also a little on the odd side.

Edit: Or are you talking about my comments about last minute notification? What I was referring to was the fact that I was only notified at the last minute (which is actually more like a month before the tournament is going to be) that our advisors aren't available and thus rooms aren't available.

Also, an admin might want to split off this thread--it's getting slightly off point.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I also never once complained about you not getting questions - I wanted you to get Moon Pie so that I could play it, but in my post early in this thread I made it clear that if you had to run it on a high school set I just would sit out, not complain about it other than just being frustrated over the lack of opens I was able to play this year generally. You're behaving as if there are any combination of things that could go wrong that I would criticize you for, not realizing that this is the one combination of those things that actually shows such great incompetence as to make me question your ability to TD this event at all.

You don't know, anything about that VCU tournament, so making that pronouncement about how "odd" their announcement is continues to show you are being stupid. VCU didn't announce it because they didn't have the rooms, and thus, they did exactly what I would say they should have in those rushed circumstances.