Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Science Knowledge Bowl

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
logic2718

Science Knowledge Bowl

Post by logic2718 »

So I was recently asked to do the "Science Knowledge Bowl" in Kansas City.
here is the info I found on it:
http://www.rockhurst.edu/news/events/sc ... /index.asp
Has anyone participated in this/does anyone know what it's all about?
Seems like reallllllly easy, really short questions on elementary science topics. I sort of want to do this, but at the same time I'm confused how such a competition achieves any sort of separation when all questions are very easy if you've taken an AP course in a given subject. (this is just going off the sample Qs they have)

Charlie Dees

Re: Science Knowledge Bowl

Post by Charlie Dees »

SKB is or was written by Bryce Avery, and has a bad history, as does anything written by Bryce Avery. I'm pretty sure there are mutiple choice tossups and things of that ilk.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

What Chuq said. SKB tossups are quite pithy. From what I recall, the rounds are timed halves, they keep track of the number of questions by way of gameshow-type cards, and in KC, because of the high number of teams playing, most of the buzzer sets they bring in only recognize which team buzzed, not which player.

I'm pretty sure they get a bit more in-depth as the day goes on.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Are there more than two teams playing at once, Panasonic style?

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

No, it is head-to-head. But the way the pools work, you don't play everyone once (as there are two pools of at least 50 teams) and the top two teams from each pool meet in a semifinal played before everyone. Seeding's determined by games then points (one point per question.)

johnboy81918

Post by johnboy81918 »

Kyle's not quite right. It used to operate that way, but I think they changed it starting this year such that one team from KS and one team from MO will go to NSB, not just the top 2 teams (clearly this is progress). Also, the seeding as I remember it was done by record first, then by percentage of questions answered correctly (out of questions heard).

If you're looking for good quiz bowl, don't go. If you're looking for a pretty fun (and free!) trip to Washington D.C., you should definitely go...although thinking about it now, it was probably last weekend...oops. I'm not sure how much I learned doing SKB, but the free trip was definitely worthwhile - hopefully other people remember this for next year.

edit: oh, it's tomorrow - still probably too late for you to change whether or not you've signed up.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

Thanks for all the advice everyone. But I'm not going. For one, the teacher who was going to take us has a conflict. Also, the nationals for this is the same weekend as the World Quest nationals, so that makes going to this level pretty much a waste. And I looked at more old questions...ehh dubious quality.