Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Truman sKnow Bowl (1/8/2011)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Truman sKnow Bowl (1/8/2011)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Truman High School is running their annual tournament today. The only information I was able to gather about it was that it will be their typical Swiss pair for a few rounds and declare a champion based on record and points (it sounds like they're increasing to 6 rounds this year), and they are using NAQT IS-99A and there will also a worksheet round thrown in there. I don't know anything about if it will be 10 tossup/bonus + worksheet + 10 tossup/bonus or if it will be modified even more to a four quarter format, whether they're using 2 or 3 part bonuses, etc.

I'll be there watching today so I will try to post updates at http://twitter.com/moquizbowl

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Re: Truman sKnow Bowl (1/8/2011)

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Jeff's Tweets indicate that this set has been parsed around like crazy (my exaggeration, in case that needs clarified).

Oh well, so long as NAQT's racking up the readies.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Varsity
1. Truman
2. Liberty
3. Smithville

JV
1. Liberty North
2. William Chrisman
3. Pilot Grove

Like I reported on twitter, they reformatted IS-99A into 15 tossups / 10 tossups with 2 part bonuses / 20 question worksheet / 15 tossups. I am thoroughly confused as to why NAQT originally assigned Savannah IS-103A for their March tournament, mysteriously took it off the schedule, and then when Savannah asked them about it they offered a Missouri format set instead because they didn't have any more A-sets available for use in Missouri, and then a couple of weeks later gave Truman IS-99A because of the minimal risk of field overlap with SLU. Both schools would have benefited had the set assignments been reversed: Savannah would have had the type of set they originally requested and all Truman would have had to do was drop the fourth quarter and insert their worksheet between the second and third quarters; instead, Truman had to do a lot more work to reformat the set to fit their format (which included dropping bonus parts) and Savannah is now unable to use an A-set.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

As I stated above (more or less), so long as NAQT is wafting in the wonga. NAQT doesn't have control over moderators stumbling over words or TDs mutilating sets to fit outdated formats, but if they get paid for the set, well, their job is done. End of the day it's a business for them, not a noble campaign for good quiz bowl like it is for many on this circuit.

Did they even recognize powers?

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Did they even recognize powers?
No powers or negs.

bt_green_warbler

Post by bt_green_warbler »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote: I am thoroughly confused as to why NAQT originally assigned Savannah IS-103A for their March tournament, mysteriously took it off the schedule, and then when Savannah asked them about it they offered a Missouri format set instead because they didn't have any more A-sets available for use in Missouri, and then a couple of weeks later gave Truman IS-99A because of the minimal risk of field overlap with SLU. Both schools would have benefited had the set assignments been reversed: Savannah would have had the type of set they originally requested and all Truman would have had to do was drop the fourth quarter and insert their worksheet between the second and third quarters; instead, Truman had to do a lot more work to reformat the set to fit their format (which included dropping bonus parts) and Savannah is now unable to use an A-set.
For the record: Savannah's March tournament has now been switched to IS #98. I hope that's an even better outcome.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

bt_green_warbler wrote:For the record: Savannah's March tournament has now been switched to IS #98. I hope that's an even better outcome.
Yeah, this did end up working out great.