Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Missouri S&T Spring Tournament - March 6, 2010

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

The Missouri University of Science and Technology Academic Competition Organization would like to invite you to our annual Spring Tournament, to be held on our scenic campus in Rolla, Missouri on March 6, 2010.

This tournament is affiliated with the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to providing high-quality quizbowl tournaments to all Missouri teams. Visit http://www.moqba.org for more information.

Format:
This tournament will use a modification of the standard Missouri format, in order to allow teams to play more games and face a wider variety of opponents. Each game will still have four quarters, and each quarter will contain eight tossups, for a total of thirty-two. Tossups answered correctly in the second and fourth quarters will be followed by bonuses as normal. The tournament will feature preliminary rounds in the morning and playoffs after lunch; the exact specifications of the tournament will be determined by the final field size, but every team will be guaranteed a minimum of six games. The field cap is tentatively set at 24 teams, though we will make every effort to include all interested teams, and we will be dividing the field into small-school and large-school divisions of roughly equal size.

The questions for this tournament will be provided by National Academic Quiz Tournaments. The top 15% of the field in each division will qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, which will be held May 28-30, 2010 in Chicago, Illinois, and more specific information on qualifying can be found at http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/qualification.html. This tournament will also be a qualifier for the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence National Scholastics Championship (PACE NSC), to be held June 5-6, 2010 at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia.

Pricing:
Base fee for first team: $70
Base fee for second and subsequent teams: $65
Moderator discount: $30 discount for each competent moderator your school brings (more info below)
Buzzer discount: $5 discount for each working buzzer system your school brings
Buzzer borrowing discount: $5 discount if we have borrowed your buzzer for an intercollegiate event
Alumnus discount: $5 discount if your school has an alumnus on the Missouri S&T team
Travel discount: $5 discount for every 100 miles your school traveled to the tournament (one-way, as determined by Google Maps)
Early registration discount: $5 discount if your registration is received before February 6, 2010

A "competent moderator" is defined as one who knows the rules and can read clearly and quickly. The moderator can be a coach, assistant coach, or other adult volunteer, and will only be needed for the preliminary rounds.

The minimum entry fee for this tournament is $10 per team if you take advantage of the moderator discount, and $30 per team otherwise.

Formalities:
To sign up for the tournament, please email me, Matt Chadbourne, at mwchadbourne at gmail dot com, and include the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you will be bringing. Registration will begin at 8:00. We will have a short meeting at 8:50, and the first round of tournament play will begin at 9:00.

After the completion of the tournament, a copy of the questions will be distributed to each team in attendance.

Updated tournament information, including a list of registered teams, can be found on the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board (http://www.moquizbowl.com) and will be updated regularly. Our tournaments traditionally fill extremely quickly, therefore it is highly advisable to reserve your spot early, and you are more than welcome to reserve your spot in the tournament before the payment process has been completed.

We hope to see you and your team in Rolla this March and wish you the best of luck as you compete this season. As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Matt Chadbourne
President, Missouri S&T Academic Competition Organization

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

List of registered teams: (to be edited as registrations come in)

Herculaneum
Pilot Grove
Salem (2)

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... ardCain</a>, Sep 18 2009, 02:28:31 PM.</div>

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

This tournament is now officially MSHSAA sanctioned.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Field update - 10/17

Eugene
Houston
Pilot Grove
Salem (2)
Rolla

DeckardCain

Re: Missouri S&T Spring Tournament - March 6, 2010

Post by DeckardCain »

Field update - 1/8

DeSmet (2)
Eugene
Francis Howell Central (2)
Glasgow
Houston
Oakville
Pilot Grove
Salem (2)
South Pemiscot
Rolla
Villa Duchesne

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Updated below.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Field update - 3/4

Belle
Bourbon
Crocker
DeSmet (2)
Dixon
Eugene (2)
Fordland
Francis Howell Central (2)
Glasgow
Hallsville
Hancock (2)
Heartland
Houston
North Kansas City
Oakville
Parkway Central
Pilot Grove
Rolla
Salem
St. James
South Pemiscot

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

The field will likely be capped at 24 due to space limitations, so please get in touch with me as soon as possible if you'd still like to attend. Thanks!

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Nice to know we have spots held for us... though I wonder why Zenfell hasn't registered us., Probably funds?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

ZhangC1459 wrote:Nice to know we have spots held for us... though I wonder why Zenfell hasn't registered us., Probably funds?
Yeah, I think that's the reason.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Field updated; cap increased to 28 teams.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Field updated.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Current enrollment breakdown: (updated 3/4 - 25 teams)

DeSmet A 3030
DeSmet B 3030
Francis Howell Central A 2131
Francis Howell Central B 2131
Oakville 2005
North Kansas City 1554
Rolla 1361
Parkway Central 1325
Salem 677
St. James 611
Hancock A 543
Hancock B 543
Hallsville 392

Houston 375
Dixon 317
Bourbon 312
Eugene A 268
Eugene B 268
Belle 257
South Pemiscot 201
Fordland 194
Crocker 178
Pilot Grove 115
Glasgow 112
Heartland 69

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Are the numbers after the team names something I need to worry about?
(The only thing that 1325 could mean to me is possibly PCH's total enrollment, but I'm not sure about that. It just sounds like it's in the ballpark)

Machina

Post by Machina »

Yeah, these are enrollment numbers. Note: only 330 people actually attend Villa. :D

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Machina wrote:Yeah, these are enrollment numbers. Note: only 330 people actually attend Villa. :D
The atrocity that is the single-gender multiplier?
As people have gone over before, for coed stuff like Ac Team, it really doesn't need to be used...

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Yeah, the numbers represent enrollment - this reflects where the small school/large school break would fall were the tournament held today.

And yes, using the single-gender multiplier for coed activities is still ridiculous.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

How's NKC been doing this year on good questions? Still looking strong?
(I've never personally played them, but they've always destroyed us in the past...)

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

/me makes inappropriate comment about the number of people who attend Heartland.

Anyways, this'll be great fun..

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

I'm glad that South Pemiscot is coming back up. It's a long haul for them, but they've always liked Rolla tournaments. :)

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Did anyone keep track of full individual stats/rankings by any chance?
(Also, I know it's my fault, but my stomach hurts...)

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Full stats were kept in the games but nothing has been entered into SQBS yet.

What I remember team-wise:

Large school:
1) Parkway Central
2) NKC
3) FHC A
4) Oakville

Small school:
1) Pilot Grove
2) Glasgow
3) Heartland
4) Hallsville

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

The results Jeff posted are correct. I'm working on entering the stats into SQBS.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Frankly, I was quite surprised that we beat NKC. Stupidly difficult bonus questions for the win.

Good job to everyone though.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

That last game with NKC was by far the toughest game we played yesterday, if not in a while. Nothing but respect for how well NKC played. It really could have been either team's game, especially once they started catching up in the fourth quarter. And I'm pretty sure both teams had their fair share of stupid mistakes on bonuses (and perhaps tossups)
Can't wait to see the individual stats for the whole tournament, especially the playoffs. I may have done better than usual, but I didn't really get a chance to see the score sheets for the last few matches.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

My team had a blast competing at this tournament (our third competition EVER) and we look forward to coming back next year and doing even better! Thank you to everyone.

On a side note, Matt, you should find out about getting Starbursts in your vending machines. I'm just saying... :)

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I wish. I've been wanting orange soda for years. :D

Anyway, stats are up:

Small School: Prelims - Combined
Large School: Prelims - Combined

CherryCokeStain

Post by CherryCokeStain »

I think we should make a team of me and Grant Monnig from Glasgow. Just to see what might happen.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Overall, I was pleased with how this tournament went. Both the logistics/organization and the questions themselves were very satisfactory. Especially glad I did well in the individual standings (not talking about my dismal last match...)
Interesting how after Grant (who blew us all out of the water individually) the next five individuals are more or less within five or six PPG of each other...

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Dear coaches,

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for attending the 2010 Missouri S&T Spring Tournament.

In the large-school division, Parkway Central defeated North Kansas City in an intense championship game that came down to the final part of the final bonus; the final score was 220-215. Pilot Grove emerged as champion of the small-school division with a hard-fought 215-140 win over Glasgow in the championship game. Francis Howell Central A defeated Oakville for third place in the large-school division, and Heartland defeated Hallsville for third place in the small-school division. Congratulations to all teams on their fine performances.

Full results have been posted to the Missouri S&T ACO website:
Small-school division: http://web.mst.edu/~cbowl/hosting/0910/ ... dings.html (full standings) - http://web.mst.edu/~cbowl/hosting/0910/ ... dings.html (prelim rounds only)
Large-school division: http://web.mst.edu/~cbowl/hosting/0910/ ... dings.html (full standings) - http://web.mst.edu/~cbowl/hosting/0910/ ... dings.html (prelim rounds only)
The same statistics, as well as discussion of the tournament, can also be found on the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board at http://www.moquizbowl.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1925.

On the strength of these results, the top two teams in each division have qualified for two national tournaments: the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, which will be held May 28-30 in Chicago, and the PACE National Scholastic Championship, which will be held June 5-6 on the campus of George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. Information on these two tournaments can be found at http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/2010/details.html and http://www.pace-nsc.org/ respectively.

This tournament could not have run nearly as smoothly as it did without the gracious support of coaches Jane Cunningham of St. James and Christina Carter of Oakville, who volunteered to moderate for us, so much thanks to them. Thanks also to Donna, Kyle and Jeffrey Hill and to Sean Phillips and Paul Nelson; without everyone's generous help this tournament would have been a nightmare to organize.

I hope that everyone managed to enjoy themselves on Saturday, despite some logistical issues that delayed the beginning of the tournament. We are always striving to provide better tournaments, so any and all feedback is appreciated. In particular, the format we used was brand new, and was intended as a compromise between the standard MSHSAA format and the twenty tossup/twenty bonus format; I am curious to know what everyone thought of it, to determine whether this format will return in the future. Also, if you didn't pick up your complementary copy of the questions before you left, please let me know and I will pass those along to you.

I would like to remind everyone that the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance (http://www.moqba.org) is hosting the third annual NAQT Missouri Qualifier on March 20 on the campus of the University of Missouri in Columbia. I know that many of you have already registered; if you haven't registered but are still interested, there are spots remaining. Information about the tournament is posted at http://www.moquizbowl.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1916; I am co-directing this tournament with Jeffrey Hill, and if you'd like to register, email Jeffrey at jeffrey AT hillonline DOT net.

Finally, a note about the future of our events. This was the tenth Missouri S&T high school tournament I have directed, and will in all likelihood be the last. I've had more than my share of fun with this over the past four years, and the time has finally come to take a back seat and pass the torch to the next generation. I have truly enjoyed working with each of you, and want to thank you again and again for attending our tournaments. Missouri S&T will still host two high school tournaments next year; they will be directed by Alex Smith, who can be reached at alexpsmith AT gmail DOT com. He will be getting in touch with you as soon as we choose the dates we will run on next year.

Best of luck to each of your teams as they compete the rest of the season.

Matt Chadbourne
Missouri S&T Academic Competition Organization

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Here's my take on the format, for what it's worth:
I like playing multiple pool play rounds in the morning; it's obviously much preferred to the swiss pairing nonsense we've been enduring in a bunch of other MSHSAA format tournaments. Also, not having to trudge through fifty tossups a game is quite helpful, since I feel you can usually get a pretty good feel of which team is better by then, so the extra time fifty questions requires isn't necessary. And the relative scarcity of math (calculation, the theory was great) was much appreciated.
I guess my question would be what the purpose of keeping a compromised format is. I definitely understand the benefits of a 20/20 match, but why make it reflect MSHSAA format at all? Not that I have anything against this, especially since I like having my team's progress divided into quarters. I'm just wondering what motivates you to use this modified format. Any input?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

dividebyzero wrote:I guess my question would be what the purpose of keeping a compromised format is. I definitely understand the benefits of a 20/20 match, but why make it reflect MSHSAA format at all? Not that I have anything against this, especially since I like having my team's progress divided into quarters. I'm just wondering what motivates you to use this modified format. Any input?
The motivation behind the compromise was to create a format which would allow us to offer a reasonable number of games to each team while still providing something that was somewhat familiar to traditional Missouri format-only teams. I have always seen our spring tournament as sort of a springboard for teams without much experience to get their feet wet with good questions in a semi-familiar setting, and hopefully those teams can then use that experience as motivation to become more active. I think we've been successful at this, because I can think of at least ten schools that I hadn't heard of in a quizbowl setting before they showed up at Spring one year, and are now among the most active teams in the state.

I agree that this format, in and of itself, is not as good as the pure 20/20 format, but I also know that a lot of inexperienced teams have traditionally been reluctant to attend non-Missouri format tournaments. By tweaking the Missouri format, we were still able to provide a setting with which those teams felt comfortable while maintaining most of the benefits of the 20/20 format.

Keith Moon

Post by Keith Moon »

I have to say, it was a great tournament, especially the final. playing NKC is always intense. Hopefully we'll see you guys in Chicago.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

DeckardCain wrote:
dividebyzero wrote:I guess my question would be what the purpose of keeping a compromised format is. I definitely understand the benefits of a 20/20 match, but why make it reflect MSHSAA format at all? Not that I have anything against this, especially since I like having my team's progress divided into quarters. I'm just wondering what motivates you to use this modified format. Any input?
The motivation behind the compromise was to create a format which would allow us to offer a reasonable number of games to each team while still providing something that was somewhat familiar to traditional Missouri format-only teams. I have always seen our spring tournament as sort of a springboard for teams without much experience to get their feet wet with good questions in a semi-familiar setting, and hopefully those teams can then use that experience as motivation to become more active. I think we've been successful at this, because I can think of at least ten schools that I hadn't heard of in a quizbowl setting before they showed up at Spring one year, and are now among the most active teams in the state.

I agree that this format, in and of itself, is not as good as the pure 20/20 format, but I also know that a lot of inexperienced teams have traditionally been reluctant to attend non-Missouri format tournaments. By tweaking the Missouri format, we were still able to provide a setting with which those teams felt comfortable while maintaining most of the benefits of the 20/20 format.
Sense. You make it. Anyways, I agree that had those questions turned even a little bit against us, NKC would've won. A good game played to everyone.