Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
JimmyL

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by JimmyL »

Yea, we are planning to go to the Lee's Summit tourney on Oct 30th, cause we have no other scheduling conflicts. Is Liberty going?

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Yes we are... I hope that's not the only tournament you're going to over here though... it's way too early...

JimmyL

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by JimmyL »

yea, we'll try to go more of them....but we'd probably only go to 1 more KC tourney, max.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

JimmyL wrote: Yea, we are planning to go to the Lee's Summit tourney on Oct 30th, cause we have no other scheduling conflicts.  Is Liberty going?
LEE'S SCUMMIT!?!?!? THEIR TOURNAMENT SUCKS!! I'd recommend Muellerfest over LSN's "respin the same questions every year for five years straight" tripe.

mujason

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by mujason »

It's the Missouri Academic Invitational, not Muellerfest, although I will be doing much of the writing.

L-Town Expatriate

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

mujason wrote: It's the Missouri Academic Invitational, not Muellerfest, although I will be doing much of the writing.
Why don't you want a tournament named for you? I figure I will... in about 40 years.

mujason

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by mujason »

Right now, Muellerfest is a nickname meant to impose the Stallardized image of yours truly, Mr. Mueller (an egotistic, crazy, fishy person) onto Mizzou's tournament thus keeping people away. Eventually, when my true image of being an intelligent, nice person is revealed, Mizzou can name their tournament after me (if they want). However, the Mizzou quiz bowl program is bigger than one person.

L-Town Expatriate

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

mujason wrote: Right now, Muellerfest is a nickname meant to impose the Stallardized image of yours truly, Mr. Mueller (an egotistic, crazy, fishy person) onto Mizzou's tournament thus keeping people away. Eventually, when my true image of being an intelligent, nice person is revealed, Mizzou can name their tournament after me (if they want). However, the Mizzou quiz bowl program is bigger than one person.
I don't know... Muellerfest actually sounds like a better name for a Lincoln tournament.

LibertyMarie

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by LibertyMarie »

aww I have rehearsal that day (from 9:30-6:30)! NOT COOL! Bethany gets to see Hot Chad and I don't!

...not that we think members of teams we've only seen once are hot... and remember their names... haha!

...plus that's the good ol' MSA reunion, which I'm pretty pissed about missing in the first place... lol

JimmyL

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by JimmyL »

their tournament sucks? bah. "Hot chad" eh?...haha.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Yeah, Chuck bought a CD of a bunch of questions 5 or so years ago and still uses it, so repeats are very possible.

mujason

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by mujason »

Well, myself and the rest of Mizzou will be writing new questions for our tournament. There will be no deliberate recycling of questions!

L-Town Expatriate

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

mujason wrote: Well, myself and the rest of Mizzou will be writing new questions for our tournament. There will be no deliberate recycling of questions!
Which is what keeps your tournament from falling into the "dregs of the universe" category.

TruePirate

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by TruePirate »

i can't go..
debate tourney
sorry guys..i know you love me

East Buc & UMR

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Well I do not make up your ego I think it is growing so fast; the whole drive home I will be bumping into your ego

JimmyL

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by JimmyL »

jason, you can stop defending your tournament; there's no need. Both times I went, I had a great time, and I definitely consider your tournament to be one of the best during the year. I would definitely go if our team wasn't caught up doing other stuff on the same day. The fact is..is that on this board, everyone already either cannot go due to other activities or no longer competes in hs quiz bowl.

L-Town Expatriate

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Just make sure you're not hosting CBI regionals.

Come to think of it... why don't I talk our guys into hosting it? My mom's cousin is the secretary at the SUB. We could get the whole place in a cinch!

Francesco Borromini

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by Francesco Borromini »

JimmyL wrote: The fact is..is that on this board, everyone already either cannot go due to other activities or no longer competes in hs quiz bowl.
darn All-District choir...Jimmy you are doing the f-park math thing, right?

JimmyL

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by JimmyL »

yea george im going to the contest

LibertyMarie

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by LibertyMarie »

darn All-District choir...
Congratulations!

Jeffrey Hill

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I learned this a couple of weeks ago but never posted it... but I'm sure Coach Wagner has told you guys by now. Chuck bought "questions from an outside vendor" but didn't specify what company. At least it's better than Recyclo[insert CD vendor's name here]. (We've been practicing LSN packets from the past two years and there are definitely repeats between the two years - even the bonuses they wrote (they didn't write all of them, just the pop culture type stuff)

Jeffrey Hill

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Here's a quick summary of the tournament:

Savannah took first; we took second.
Savannah JV took first; Smithville JV took second.

Savannah played us 2nd round and won; Savannah played PCH 3rd round and won. Varsity top 4 were Savannah, St. Joe Christian, Liberty, PCH. Savannah played PCH in the semis and won. We easily beat SJCS and went to the final with Savannah.

Basically, PCH was 3-2, we were 4-2, and Savannah was 6-0.

L-Town Expatriate

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Start a new spread, why doncha? This is needed for whenever we vote on new rankings!
(With Savannah beating Parkway, WCA will need to make a larger clamor for #1.)

Francesco Borromini

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by Francesco Borromini »

How were the questions? What improvements/weaknesses do you see in the teams?

Jeffrey Hill

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The questions were Champions: straightforward, short crap. I don't know exactly what Chuck did with them after he got them, but the moderator in our first room said something about cutting and pasting or retyping or something (there were a lot of answers wrong, especially the math). We had 4 or 5 challenges or replacements in the first game alone. Then of course there were repeats, like in round 1: "What rebellion occurred in southwestern Pennsylvania in 1794" and then round 2: "In what state did the Whiskey Rebellion occur?" One round there was a "V" bonus, one part being the composer of La Traviata, and later in the round I think a lightning round also had La Traviata. In our 1st game against Savannah (2nd round) there was a poetic meter bonus and the fourth part was "This three syllable meter has the first stressed and the second and third unstressed. Dactyl is the opposite of anapest."

But the biggest improvement of all was that JV AND VARSITY DIDN'T HAVE IDENTICAL QUESTIONS!

Team-wise: Lexington and SJCS aren't very strong at this point. I don't know who SJCS played in the morning but they went 3-0, yet we beat them 475-150 in the semis. Savannah seemed to improve from the last time we played them, but mainly because the questions were so straightforward their blitzing worked 90% of the time.

JimmyL

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by JimmyL »

jeff....what was the score for your game against savannah?

george....they are INSANEly good.

Jeffrey Hill

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Our first game: 390-310 (we swept the "mountains/countries" lightning round)
The final: 435-280 (we swept a vice presidents lightning round)

We took "presidents/governor states" in the 1st round and got 5. We also swept Amendments in the 3rd round and Hamlet in the 4th round. We forgot that Luzon was the main island of the Phillipines on the "islands/countries" in the 5th round. But then again, MSHSAA doesn't have lightning rounds.

When we get into more complex questions they might be more inaccurate because they may buzz in too early. But they really have improved even with Kim and Darren graduating.

JimmyL

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by JimmyL »

i think we lost by 70-80 and then 100-110.

david hoffelmeyer is so freaking fast...it's incredible.

DavidH

Lee's Summit. Oct. 30th

Post by DavidH »

Enough of the Savannah bashing Jeff. We'll see how we perform with "more complex" questions. The fact of the matter is: Quiz Bowl is a sport that doesn't require you necessarily know Ben Franklin's mom's cousin's maiden name... it requires that you get what you know as fast as you can. Thats what we do.