Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

St. Louis high schooler to go on Teen Jeopardy

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

I thought this was worthy of everyone's attention.

It was announced yesterday that a junior from Metro High School here in St. Louis city (take THAT, St. Louis city-bashers!) will be on Teen Jeopardy! next month.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/deb-pe ... ournament/

I find it interesting that Metro doesn't even field a quizbowl team (which was confirmed to me by the SLUH coach). The last Missourian on Teen Jeopardy played for Savannah, if I remember correctly. Either way, I think it's really cool that the Show-Me State is being represented again. :D

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... forPrez</a>, Oct 22 2009, 08:53:47 PM.</div>

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

That is really neat! Metro may not have a quiz bowl team, but they will be competing at Lindenwood's History Bowl in two weeks. Now I am scared. They beat us two years ago by a small margin when we played with two sophomores and one junior. This year, we will have the same sophomores (now seniors) with a junior.

A younger sibling of one of our players is trying out for the Kids version tomorrow in Chicago. I hope she makes it!

As far as I know, David (Savannah, class of 2006) and Jimmy Li (Parkway Central, class of 2005) are the two Missouri high school students that have appeared on Jeopardy. Of course, this year's college champion is a recent graduate of Notre Dame University and Priory High School (here in St. Louis). I know there have been other Mizzou students that have appeared on the show, but am not sure of their involvement with quiz bowl in Missouri.

Machina

Post by Machina »

I'm so excited for Kennedy! She's one of my best friends from MSA this summer. She said that she might start up a quiz bowl team at Metro this year, so we'll see how that unfolds.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

I'm going to be auditioning for College Jeopardy this Saturday too--wish me luck!

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Good luck!

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

Machina wrote:I'm so excited for Kennedy! She's one of my best friends from MSA this summer. She said that she might start up a quiz bowl team at Metro this year, so we'll see how that unfolds.
Yup! Sabrina and I are both good friends of Kennedy thanks to MSA. She performed incredibly at the MSA Scholar Bowl tournament. She was also one of the UGQB squad (Underground Quiz Bowl...lol) who would play Quiz Bowl in the laundry rooms. heh.
so yeah, she has amazing potential, and she seemed very keen on starting up a Quiz Bowl team at Metro. I hope it happens! (err...well, actually I really don't because it means more competitions...but still).

KentB

Post by KentB »

Good luck, Charles....they don't like quiz bowl players but since you have only played one college tournament, you stand a better chance.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

KentB wrote:Good luck, Charles....they don't like quiz bowl players but since you have only played one college tournament, you stand a better chance.
Apparently, if you pass the initial Jeopardy test, you are now required to admit any affiliation with NAQT, and anecdotal evidence suggests that NAQT writers/editors are excluded from playing, though that rule does not exist officially. Ken Jennings has been a writer and editor at NAQT for some years, hence the reasoning for that.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

Machina wrote:I'm so excited for Kennedy! She's one of my best friends from MSA this summer. She said that she might start up a quiz bowl team at Metro this year, so we'll see how that unfolds.
Awesome! Good luck!

Don't be stupid like me and blank on Clarence Thomas (when tryouts were at Harris Stowe University in January 2008). I still feel stupid for that one! Ugh!

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

There have been plenty of quizbowlers on Jeopardy since Ken, and fully half of this year's teen tournament is affiliated with quizbowl with some way, so I don't think Jeopardy is deliberately excluding anyone.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Well, I think Paul means that they exclude NAQT affiliated people.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Charbroil wrote:Well, I think Paul means that they exclude NAQT affiliated people.
My reading comprehension skills are as good as they ever were, and my point stands. ^_^

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

I actually emailed Kennedy today, and apparently, the Metro principal approved the formation of a quizbowl team today, from what she told me. She's looking for a coach right now, and she's REALLY determined to get a team off the ground, which is so cool. :)

Kennedy will be on Teen Jeopardy tomorrow, if anybody wants to watch. I'm having my landlady DVR it for me. B-)

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument

Here is an article about Kennedy from today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch. It is well written.

PenforPrez

Re: St. Louis high schooler to go on Teen Jeopardy

Post by PenforPrez »

Kennedy Stomps from Metro emailed me yesterday. Her team at Metro is progressing well. She's got about 12 players formed into roughly two teams. She's hoping to start actual practices next week; she's asked me to help get them started. :) Their problem is that they don't have any cash, but they're planning on playing at least two tournaments in St. Louis this winter.

The SLUH coach has offered to help them get started as well, so Kennedy has a lot of help. 8)