Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Calling all MSA alumni

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
socalcaptain

Calling all MSA alumni

Post by socalcaptain »

This is a note from a fellow scholar about how you can help save MSA...

Scholars:

I spoke to David Welch this morning who gave me a slightly different picture about what's happening in the house than did the MSA website or the various emails that have been circulating. The committee members that appear on www.moscholars.org are part of the elementary and secondary education committee and are, for the most part, on our side. The people that we need to be contacting are on the budget committee, chaired by Rep. Allen Icet. A list of those committee members can be found here:

http://house.mo.gov/content.aspx?info=/ ... com011.htm

Funding for the academy has not been cut yet.

The budget submitted by Allen Icet simply did not contain funding for the MSA or the Fine Arts Academy. David Welch did not know the exact mechanics of reinstating the budget, be it an amendment or some other parliamentary tool, but in essence, what needs to happen is that one of the committee members needs to raise the issue, add funding to the budget and then it will be voted on as a line item in the Elementary and Secondary Education budget. Two of our allies on the committee are also on the Elementary and Secondary Education committee whose names are at moscholars.org. They are Mike Thompson, the chair of Elementary/Secondary, and Sara Lampe, the former director of gifted at DESE in Springfield.

The Vote is Tomorrow

Ted, in a phone call this morning, stressed the importance of letters, letters, letters. As the vote draws near, emails and phone calls are VERY necessary. Zero in on any representatives on the list (http://house.mo.gov/content.aspx?info=/ ... com011.htm) that are in your district first, and then work through the list. Start at the beginning of the list if your last name comes at the beginning of the alphabet and towards the end if your last name is later in the alphabet so that we don't concentrate all of our efforts on part of the list, get tired and leave some members neglected. We have until tomorrow, let's work together and save MSA!

-David Weber
MSA 2006
(816) 520-7904

Charbroil

Calling all MSA alumni

Post by Charbroil »

I have to admit...I'm curious, Alex--how many MSA alumni do we actually have on here? You, me, Jason Mueller, Grant, Taylor (if he ever uses this forum), Ravi (currently not posting)...I can't think of any off the top of my head, though I don't know everyone that well.

Charlie Dees

Calling all MSA alumni

Post by Charlie Dees »

I think someone from Truman's contingent is. I'm certainly not though.

DIoanis

Calling all MSA alumni

Post by DIoanis »

Michael went to MSA 2 years ago I think. I didn't attend MSA

scphilli

Calling all MSA alumni

Post by scphilli »

I'm MSA 1998. I'm ambivalent about keeping MSA alive as that is what introduced Mueller to QB though....

Charbroil

Calling all MSA alumni

Post by Charbroil »

Lol...I certainly hope you're kidding. :P

Did they have Scholar Bowl in 1998?

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Mar 15 2009, 11:26:10 AM.</div>

scphilli

Calling all MSA alumni

Post by scphilli »

Charbroil wrote:Lol...I certainly hope you're kidding. :P

Did they have Scholar Bowl in 1998?
Yeah, my team got second.

MikeWormdog

Calling all MSA alumni

Post by MikeWormdog »

They had it in 1995, too, when I went. I can't remember where the questions were from. There was a house tournament sort of like Panasonic, with multiple teams playing at once but with more normal questions and rules. Then the winner of that tournament (us) played a team of RAs and a team faculty. We also won that 3-way match.

From what I remember, they also had "scholar bowl", which was what they called it (because that's what NKC called/calls it, and Vicki Jones, the ex-Liberty coach and MSA faculty member was also coach at Northtown before Larry Allen got there), at least since the early 1990s. I think we were the first student team to win, or at least the first in several years.

socalcaptain

Calling all MSA alumni

Post by socalcaptain »

The year I went (aka 2006), we just had "Scholar Bowl," which was a similar format to the "house tournament" described above.

We played a student playoff among all the houses, with Terin Budine's house taking the student championship, followed ever so closely by my house. The student team went on to play in a 4-way match against RAs, faculty, and staff. Our moderator was MSA faculty member and Rock Bridge quiz bowl coach Jim Meyer.

MikeWormdog

Calling all MSA alumni

Post by MikeWormdog »

Yeah, there may have been a staff team my year, too. Jim Meyer was an RA when I was there, I think, and may have been on the RA team.

scphilli

Calling all MSA alumni

Post by scphilli »

Jim was an RA my year too. He also appeared on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" when it returned to ABC in 1999 and got to the $32 K level, got stumped and called Liberty's then coach Vicki Jones, who proceeded to give him the wrong answer. I don't think that poor woman heard the end of it for the rest of the year.