Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

William Sun

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
FZW Coach

William Sun

Post by FZW Coach »

I don't know if any of you saw this, but the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had an excellent article in yesterday's paper about William. Apparently, he was one of 40 (the only one from Missouri) to be invited to D.C. for a science comepetition. He may have won a large scholarship. I am sure Will Hack may know more about this. I thought it was pretty cool.

socalcaptain

William Sun

Post by socalcaptain »

Congrats to him!

At first I thought this was some kind of pun on my former high school quiz bowl coach, Earl Williamson...then I realized that no one on this board probably knows who he is.

Charlie Dees

William Sun

Post by Charlie Dees »

Does this person play quizbowl?

WillHack

William Sun

Post by WillHack »

Well, Mr. Dees, there's quite a story there. William Sun was the 6th highest scorer in JV Two Saints STL his sophomore year . . . and he only played one session. He's pretty good. Unfortunately, he's (obviously) a busy guy, so he can't really participate most of the time. He's only been to practice once this year, but Jason keeps trying to convince him to play in Districts / Sectionals / State. I don't think I want him playing unless he practices first, though.

Any way, yeah, we're pretty proud of having William around here. He's the valedictorian of this class . . . I think he's going to Harvard, but we'll see.

Charlie Dees

William Sun

Post by Charlie Dees »

Looking over this, it appears that this is the Intel competition that a quizbowler with a more storied career has also placed 4th in and gotten $25,000. Naren(dra) Tallapragada is a senior at Thomas Jefferson High School of Science and Technology who last year played on the team that placed second behind Whitman at PACE Nationals and won the NAQT High School Nationals, along with making the all-star list for both events, I believe, and is going to MIT next year. He's a cool guy so I wouldn't want to leave him out.

ELADAMO89

William Sun

Post by ELADAMO89 »

i met william at boys state last summer
i haven't really talk to him since then, but yeah

FZW Coach

William Sun

Post by FZW Coach »

Will, did you hear how he did at the competition?

Charlie Dees

William Sun

Post by Charlie Dees »

I don't know if Will did, but I know William Sun placed 2nd.

FZW Coach

William Sun

Post by FZW Coach »

Wow! Congrats!

WillHack

William Sun

Post by WillHack »

Haha, yeah, our school had a big hubbub about it. He won some $75,000 in scholarship money.